Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
NEED HELP.pro charged hp 500 motor oil in carb box. >

NEED HELP.pro charged hp 500 motor oil in carb box.

Notices

NEED HELP.pro charged hp 500 motor oil in carb box.

Old 08-05-2004, 06:50 AM
krypto 1 in CT

Default NEED HELP.pro charged hp 500 motor oil in carb box.

the boat is a 29 kryptonite.the motor actually is now 515ci with dart marine rpm heads nikerson carbed motor .fresh and just off the dyno last week.took it out last night for its first full pass and need a little taller prop it went 93.2 mph hitting the 5600rpm msd chip with a 31 hydromitive quade iv and a 1.5 bravo drive.i took off the top of the carb box to adjust idle and there is a oil mist all over the inside of the box and about a tea spoon puddle of oil in the bottom the box.i had this trouble before and thought it was coming from the lines that go from the valve covers to the pro charger bell mouth so i took the lines off and just have k/n breathers in the valve covers now so its not that.its not coming from the blower either as its a sc procharger with the pinkish oil and the oil in the box is regular motor oil.it has to be coming up through the carb venturies.i read there was supposed to be some kind of metal plate under the dart hp 500 intake and mine dosnt have it somone must have removed it could that be the problem?.also there is a steel braided line in the back of the manifold that goes from the base to the top of the plenum right under the secondary butterflys. it looks like its some kind of crank case breather could this be where its coming from.if so can i pull that line off and just put a breather on the intake.

Old 08-05-2004, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: NEED HELP.pro charged hp 500 motor oil in carb box.

Sounds liike a nice setup. It's hard to believe that the line from the intake could ever deliver oil mist above the carb. I would take the intercooler off and wash out the air side with warm soapy water. Chances are the oil is just left over from before.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would guess that you valve cover breathers may not have baffling or not effective baffling in them to prevent sucking oil in thru the Procharger. That vacuum pull on the inlet of the Procharger is very strong and will suck the oil pan dry if you are not careful.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

I tried alot of things when i was running still running 502 w/blower to control oil mist/blowby and where it went. I tied both pcv hoses together w/o valves in them,vented them into supercharger,had oil all over bilge and blower side of motor,vented them to a puke tank w/a k/n breather on top,mounted in front of air horn of blower ,was always a oily mess in my engine compartment. Krypto,are your rings seated? i always had oil control issues w 502,when i built the 540 i used ring seating compound,zero gap rings and i built vents in valve covers and extended them 8 inches above the valve covers and put scotchbrite in them so the motor could vent but the oil has to wick all the way up the tubes and thru the scotchbrite (steel wool also works),i get no oil splatter or venting in the engine compartment now.This might not even have anything to do with your question but maybe it will help someone out there with oil venting problems. I included a pic,if you look close between the blower intake and header you can see the top of the vent and how high it is,you can also see on the opposite side in front of the header the other vent. Have fun,Smitty
Attached Thumbnails NEED HELP.pro charged hp 500 motor oil in carb box.-picture-2-007.jpg  
Old 08-06-2004, 07:35 AM
krypto 1 in CT

I would hope the rings are seated we did 8 dyno pulls on it and there was no oil in the box then but those were short 4/5 second pulls.if it were the rings wouldnt it just burn the oil in the combustion chamber.i mean with all the preasure blowing down the motor how could the oil come up through the intake and into the box.the other nite out on the water i was into it over 5000rpm probably for over 15 seconds each pass and did 3 or 4 passes.if its the oil getting by the rings should they seat them selfs after a while?.i talked to nickerson yesterday about it and he thinks its the procharger sucking the oil out of the valve cover breather thats about 5 inchs away from the blower intake.there is a very little oil mist on the exhust manifold right near the breather and the blower intake so maybe thats it.

Old 08-06-2004, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

502s are notorious for oil/ring problems. The other thing is if you ever put you hand close to the Procharger inlet at idle you can feel air coming out one side. You can see this by holding a short thread close to the inlet. On one side the thread bends into the air horn; on the other side it blows away. Since there is no air filter some of the oil mist blows right back into the engine compartment.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Am I understanding this right?
You have no hoses going from your valve covers to the intake on your PC. You only have breathers vented to the engine compartment. Right?

I would have to assume the same as Tom did earlier. There must be residual oil in the IC. Pull off the inlet and outlet sides of the IC. The outlet should appear oilier than the inlet if this theory is correct. Or should it? (Tom, would the reverse direction airflow at idle possibly push the oil backwards to the inlet side?)

I don’t see the oil magically transitioning from the breather to the inlet at high rpm unless you see some results of that (i.e. a mess in between)

I don’t think this is your particular problem from what you described but like Articfriends I fought oil dumping to the intake of the PC, oil coming out the breathers and dipstick, even added a puke tank as well.
This year, new bores and rings seated with the magic powder and standard IMCO (4”) breathers. Not even a hint of oil coming out of anywhere with 7 lbs of boost at 5700 rpm.
I’m thinking that if your getting substantial blow-by your rings are far from perfect. I’m sure some is OK but how much ?

Dave
Old 08-06-2004, 12:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Dave,i am getting virtually no blowby w/540,the oil control issues i mentioned were on my 502 before i replaced it.I also believe that if krypto continues to have oil control issues it comes down to ring seal.When i built my 502 i had decent ring finish,got rid of the factory pistons with there cheesy little low tension METRIC oil rings,went with a god plasma moly ring and STILL had oil control problems. When i built 540 i was determined not to have same problem,hence std tension oil rings,zero gap compresion rings plateau honing and ring seating compound,virtually no blowby and less than 3% leakdown,even at 100 hours.Blower motors seem to really tax ring seal causing blowby,the oil has to go somwhere . Krypto,if you pull your blower discharge hose off the procharger and it has a light film of oil in it then you have found your problem (coming out vent into blower).Its better to have that then all over your motor but it still sucks. Let us know your findings in the blower discharge and your ring package or if you find a different problem,Smitty
Old 08-06-2004, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Smitty,
I was just mentioning that we had both been through the same situation and the "real" cure was rings and bore for our problems.
I don't think this is Krypto's problem though. According to his description, his breathers are not connected to the intake of the blower so I highly doubt that this is where his oil is coming from.

Dave
Old 08-06-2004, 01:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Dave,he'll know if he pulls his blower discharge tube and there is a slight oil fim in it,if not and he doesn't (from what i'm reading) have anything plumbed into the carb box then its a mystery!Smitty

Quick Reply: NEED HELP.pro charged hp 500 motor oil in carb box.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.