Bravo 1 to Blackhawk? >

Bravo 1 to Blackhawk?

Notices

Bravo 1 to Blackhawk?

Old 08-10-2004, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Bravo 1 to Blackhawk?

I guess I would have to disagree with Teague in as that the P29 was the only boat it worked on My Eliminator went from 83.2 mph to 91.1 mph with nothing more than a drive change. Yes I broke one drive but that was due to 2 factors. One was a lugging problem but that was resolved as Cord said by ventilating the drive. The second problem was the drive I got was a pre production unit meant for training techs. The vertical shaft was not properly hardnened. I have since put approx 75 hrs on the drive and I run it hard 80% of the time. NO problems since the big bang. Would I hang one on a 23 foot V hull not designed to run one. NO because the loss of trim control, the loss of migrange cruise speed and the wicked docking speed would be to much to deal with. My cat naturally lifts the bow, good thing because it can't be trimmed to lift the bow( no leverage). It has to be running over 60mph to start lifting and settle the hull back properly.The rooster tail is a nice free added touch though Click the signature to see what I mean.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Exciter was designed with this drive in mind, I think. It jumps up on plane pretty good with a little tab. The current owner has not had a problem, although when he first bought it the drive was trashed from racing. It runs great, and pulls like a train in the midrange... low speed is a little tricky, though! Good rooster, too!
Attached Thumbnails Bravo 1 to Blackhawk?-exciter040033.jpg  
Old 08-10-2004, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here are a some black hawk props we labbed and polished.
Attached Thumbnails Bravo 1 to Blackhawk?-evmp0894.jpg  
Old 08-10-2004, 11:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Airpacker
I guess I would have to disagree with Teague in as that the P29 was the only boat it worked on
I did not mean to say only boat but I did.

"Quote PB 8/04 Teague: there were very few stock production boats that the Blackhawks worked well on, yours is one exception" referring to the P-29.

Mark Lee, co-pilot of Pair-a-Dice PX-77, has one for sale and I've run neck to neck with him on poker runs. He sure grabs the air when running. I'm not sure how his has done reliable wise, but never heard anything when I was with him.

Sorry Air!! and I'm not saying Teague is GOD either, just his tech talk.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

DT42,

Thanks for the ad. Yes, my P-29 is for sale for 60K or so, but not much less, and for all of the Black Hawk bashers out there - I have been running my set for 3 years and the only problem I had was from was from under water objects (which I could not belive I hit because the BlackHawk is 7" higher). The upper gears and bearings on a BlackHawk are stronger than a Bravo (matched, beveled, and hardened) and I have been told that the BlackHawk with the updated gearset and bearings will take up to 600 HP. The first generation will take 500 HP. Try to put that into a stock Bravo.

Milord,

If your friend is blowing up Black Hawks, then they have over 600 HP per motor, or they are coming out of the hole hard.

Cord,

The LAST thing the BlackHawk was designed for was silent choice. Where did you get that from??? I would love to see those facts in print. Silent choice was not even around or an issue in 1994. The BlackHawk was designed for boats that have natural lifting ability and rode on the last 6 inches of the transom. Typically a cat application was the best for the BlackHawk, however, there are (3) V hulls that respond quite well to the drive. Donzi, Wellcraft, and OuterLimits made the three hulls. Two of them have LOTO Speed records. There is your trivia question for the night. Which 2 have speed records running BlackHawk drives?

Last edited by OshkoshThunder; 08-10-2004 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hey DT42,

I remember that Poker Run (2001). We were in the air a few times. That's when you have to be a good throttleman. I can remember one particular flight running around 80 when we hit that hole on Winnebago that was about 6 feet deep and 15 feet long. We both came out in flight, side by side, with the sticks back counting Thousand One, Thousand Two, Thousand Three, HIT IT!. That's what offshore is all about...
Old 08-10-2004, 10:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Cord,

Just curious. The picture that you posted that shows a BlackHawk with (2) cleavers got my interest. The original BlackHack had a 'big-eared' (3) blade Mirage type prop first to scoop up water, then throw that into the counter-rotating cleaver. The props have to be installed on the spline and be 'timed' to accomplish that. The (2) five blade cleavers shown in your picture do not appear to be timed, and I question the amount of water you will pick up with the the first prop to make the second efficiant. How fast does that boat in the picture run??? (BTY - anyone that needs help timing BlackHawks, do not hesitate to call or email me...

Last edited by OshkoshThunder; 08-10-2004 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ran the blackhawk on a Baja ... worked great. Less working of the throttles in the blue water rollers. I am a Blackhawk fan ..... just keep it cool and change the oil regularly. Small, lighter boats seem to be the best applications.
I ran a ballast tank in the front of the boat to help keep the bow down and adjust for varying water conditions..... Maybe why the drive worked so well in my application.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:18 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

This seems like the perfect point to add that I have a brand new one with the latest gears in the box. I think it needs a good home. Please forgive this commercial announcement.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mbam
This seems like the perfect point to add that I have a brand new one with the latest gears in the box. I think it needs a good home. Please forgive this commercial announcement.

HAA, we forgive you. BAM BAM I may need some trim pump parts. Still working on it.

Mark, I remember that run exactly as stated. I know I was WOT and we seemed to be side by side for the whole first leg 15 mi....that was cool.

Quick Reply: Bravo 1 to Blackhawk?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.