Eagle Rotating Assembly >

Eagle Rotating Assembly

Notices

Eagle Rotating Assembly

Old 08-17-2004, 10:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eagle Rotating Assembly

I am going to have two 540's (tall deck) built this fall by a local engine builder. He gave me a list of what he is going to use, everything sounds good except I am reading some negatives about the Eagle rotating Assembly (mainly the crank).
It is going to be a mild 540 about 580hp, will I be alright with the Eagle crank?
Old 08-17-2004, 11:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 798 Likes on 366 Posts
Default Re: Eagle Rotating Assembly

You will probably be ok at your power level with the eagle crank,i personally don't use them in anything but n/a smallblocks because they are made in CHINA. Comp products in wisconsin sells some nice american forged cranks for around double the price. If you do use the eagle,make sure your machinist checks the crank indexing of each throw and measures EVERY ROD AND MAIN JOURNAL. They are supposed to be forged in china and machined in america but the shop that does my machining locally has found variances in there products (not specifically big block cranks,more often there connecting rods). Smitty
Old 08-18-2004, 08:50 AM
Registered

I run an eagle rotating assy. on a supercharged 383 sb, 750 hp running 5400 rpm, so far so good. I 've got 30 hours. Also the shop that did the balancing use eagle pretty much exclusive unless a customer request a differant item. They built alot of circle track engines.

Last edited by aero-offshore; 08-18-2004 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:15 AM
Registered

I run eagle in mine with no problems. I've used eagle cranks in almost all the race cars and never broke one.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:01 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a short deck 540 making about 625 hp with Eagle crank and rods. No problems. It was built by Flagship Marine. They build lots of engines, and should know what works and what doesn't.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:55 AM
Registered

I've had one in my 670hp N/A 540 for around 150hrs now and have had no problems. Smitty is right though, we ended up having Moldex remachine the rod journals , the fillet was too large and even with the chamfered bearings they wouldn't work. I know of 4 others that my friends shop did that have been trouble free.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:15 PM
Registered

my crank did come heavy a couple of times and needed a little machine work for perfect tolerances.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:18 PM
Registered

It seems that there QC is less than good.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:19 PM
krypto 1 in CT

#1 is he using there 4340 crank.you should be fine with that but i went for a callies DS crank its around 899.00.i think the eagle 4340 goes for what around 600.00.id rather spend the couple hundred for peice of mind and a little better crank.and others have had to send out the eagles to be finished anyway.so it may cost around the same.

Old 08-18-2004, 05:40 PM
Registered

He quoted me a price of $2,300 for the rotating assembly, I believe that is with the 4340 crank. I just want to get as many opinions as possible before I go talk to him. I want to do it right, but the (thousand dollar) extras are getting old, at the same time I don't want unreliable junk either.

Thanks Guys
Keep them coming

Quick Reply: Eagle Rotating Assembly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.