Engine Knock ... >

Engine Knock ...

Notices

Engine Knock ...

Old 08-27-2004, 12:24 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Engine Knock ...

keep em comming guys ...I am going to let someone else listen ....(knowledgable) and also get on of those listening devices ...
Old 08-27-2004, 05:57 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Re: Engine Knock ...

Mike -

An old mechanics trick is to use a piece of broom stick handle, about two feet long. Press it against the heads, the block, where ever and put your ear on the other end. (Okay, okay - watch for moving parts.) You can ususally narrow down where the noise is coming from. Just like a stethoscope the doctor uses only alot cheaper.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, I've used the same concept as "wantsa/hasa" except I use a 3/4 inch hardwood dowel.

If you were running on only two quarts of oil and didn't damage anything you are one LUCKY boater. The key word there being "boater" which translates to "worst luck possible". If you can't determine that the noise is definitely a sticky/stuck valve, I would not run it until you pull it and fix it, otherwise you are just "lighting the fuse". What might cost 2K now might save 6K later. This is something you really don't want to guess at.

Oh yeah, welcome to boating.

My motors run about 45/50psi running and drop to about 35 at idle when hot.

Like you said, get somebody who KNOWS listen to it and go from there. Good luck. Russ
Old 08-27-2004, 11:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Suprised I read through this whole thread and no one has yet stated the obvious. You need to cut the old oil filter open (chisel that is). It will tell the whole story. Flakes of death, pull engine. No flakes, more fact finding.

BT
Old 08-27-2004, 05:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by blue thunder
Suprised I read through this whole thread and no one has yet stated the obvious. You need to cut the old oil filter open (chisel that is). It will tell the whole story. Flakes of death, pull engine. No flakes, more fact finding.

BT
The same thought hit me today ....Yesterday I went to the Land fill and took all my old oil and the suspect oil filters ...so stupid ..

maybe I need a canoe ...
Old 08-27-2004, 06:25 PM
HeavyChevSS

"both with less than 50 hours.. the port motor got hot this spring from a bad sea pump ..pulled the motor never found a blown gasket but asumed water ingestion was from riser or exhaust gasket"
What were problems with this motor after overheating and before you pulled it first time. Where were you getting water that made you look at hd gasket and exhaust??
Sorry if I missed answers to that already, just thought more info might give more answers.?
good luck!

Old 08-27-2004, 07:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HeavyChevSS
"both with less than 50 hours.. the port motor got hot this spring from a bad sea pump ..pulled the motor never found a blown gasket but asumed water ingestion was from riser or exhaust gasket"
What were problems with this motor after overheating and before you pulled it first time. Where were you getting water that made you look at hd gasket and exhaust??
Sorry if I missed answers to that already, just thought more info might give more answers.?
good luck!
When the motor got hot it sucked a bunch of water ..cylinders and in the oil. ... This boat was new to me at the time and my motor guy wanted to pull the motor ....Hindsight shows it wasnt necessary but I did what he suggested.. we pulled heads and had them checked .. never found anything ..new gasket set ..put it back together and been fine since I think it was prob a riser gasket ..( as I was told on OSO) ...now let me restate this is NOT a huge knock ..you got to really listen to hear it..even if it does exist .to me there is a def. differeance when you listen to each motor by itself ...I di ahve a guy that knows what he is doing going to listen/look at it Monday ..
Old 08-27-2004, 09:47 PM
HeavyChevSS

Too bad no one was ever able to check out the exhaust, on my boat I had a riser leak and caused a whole lot of **** but before it broke (and while leaking..) it didn't run hot or get water in the oil. Hoping since it is barely a knock it is nothing major and hope it is nothing major. Sure it is actually in the motor and not the drive or something else...either way hopefully it works out..
Rick the rookie...

Old 08-30-2004, 02:19 PM
Registered

Took the boat to merc dealer and they seem to think its ok ..does seem to have quieted down ...might have been a dry lifter from the low oil ....we did find a leak around the takeoff for remote oil filter ....

oh and thanks for all the post .... a lot of good info here ....Mike
Old 08-30-2004, 03:18 PM
HeavyChevSS

or valve hanging up since they only put gaskets on it, Either way Best of luck!

Quick Reply: Engine Knock ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.