Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Can't get the friggin ink of my sunpad!!! >

Can't get the friggin ink of my sunpad!!!

Notices

Can't get the friggin ink of my sunpad!!!

Old 09-16-2004, 11:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Can't get the friggin ink of my sunpad!!!

Hey Bad Dog,
Did you get your marks out of your upholstery?
If so what did you use?
Old 09-17-2004, 05:57 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have tried most everything suggested except the hairspray. The various chemicals have not caused any damage that I can see as of yet. The lacquer thinner and acetone seemed to work the best. It did lighten up a great deal and I am hoping the hair spray might work. I have yet to try the Mr Clean rub stick. Their website has a click here for free sample so I it will be coming. Looked around the local stores and did not find that product. Long weekend in the sun may have lightened it some. In each case I took a piece of scrap vinyl and put some ink on it and tried it first on the test piece. They all worked pretty good.

I don't know and can't identify what type of ink is on there. Most of the chemicals took it right off the test pieces so I suspect I have some weird combination of suntan oil and magazine or paper plate ink. Still hoping the sun will take it out. At this point it appears that the ink is only left in the fine pores of the vinyl. I need to be careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water. It is now just a light blue tint in the area that the original stain was. The original stain was more of a highlight or discoloration rather than a solid line of ink. You hardly notice it unless you were the one to pay to have the sunpad recovered several years back.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:10 AM
BiggBlok

If the stain seems to stay without any luck from anything else, you can always have an upholstery guy come out to your house and re-die to match the existing color. I've had this done twice and each time is was VERY impressive. I had a small poke hole once and an 1/8" slit another. Both times, they repaired it and then mixed some colors up to match the existing and then they spray in a die. Both times, I couldn't tell where the original problem was located. Seems like it costed me between $40 and $70... about the same cost as a bunch of cleaners!

Old 09-17-2004, 01:31 PM
HeavyChevSS

Go to your local Walmart or grocery store and get the Mr Clean Magic Erasers. It is shocking how well these things clean with some water and some elbow grease, be suprised how white that vinyl will come. All for $2.79 for a 4 pk.

Old 09-17-2004, 11:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BadDog
Somehow an ink blotch showed up on my sun pad. Probably during a chick party where the magazines came out. It looks like that a wet or suntan oil soaked magazines ink bled onto the vinyl. It is a purplish color and I really suspect it is ink from a magazine cover because of the size and shape.

I have tried:
Softscrub with bleach
Acetone
Goof Off
Bleach
WD-40
Swearing

It has lightened up some but it is till there. Rumor has it sun will fade ink but I have noticed that if your eyes are in the sun long enough it looks lighter but when cloud cover comes it looks brighter again. Perhaps I should select some sunglasses that filter that color out!

Anything else I could try?

Tim T.
You on the right track with the sun thing. Try to stare at the sun for about 20 seconds and look at your ink stain and presto no stain as far as you can see.