Oil by pass valve GenVI >

Oil by pass valve GenVI

Notices

Oil by pass valve GenVI

Old 09-09-2004, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oil by pass valve GenVI

Not argueing here but some of your oil will still be getting filtered even if the bypass is open unless your filter is plugged. It may just make a couple of loops without hitting the filter??
Old 09-09-2004, 02:42 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cooltoys61
Not argueing here but some of your oil will still be getting filtered even if the bypass is open unless your filter is plugged. It may just make a couple of loops without hitting the filter??

Yup.

Not to argue here either cooltoys, but the more oil running through the filter {and cooler} the better.

Also, replacing with a 30 lb. valve may not even help, if your oil is already flowing well. It only helps if the pressure being put to the filter, cooler and oil lines is greater than the psi of the bypass valve {11 lb. or 30 lb.}. I'm hoping that is my problem. And hoping that changing to the 30 lb valve will force more oil into the filter/cooler system, therefore providing better oil cooling. Better filtering would be icing on the cake. Not too worried about filtration as I change the oil and filter at less than 20 hr. intervals.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:46 PM
Registered

Still pretty sure I blew both my Gen IV's by running Fram ph5 filters. Test show they flow 4 gal/min compared to the 8 or 10 on a merc filter. My new Gen 6's will have the purolater prem at 17gal/min. Not sure about these units sinse they were quoated as oz./min?? can be right. When I put the 1st gen 6 in my other gen 4 was running and I didn't know about the bypass in the center. Got lucky. I didn't plumb my remote by the new adapter directions, just followed the flow from the old setup,,BECAUSE IT WAS BACKWARDS!!!Unbelievable!
Anyway my oil never got hot and although I'm trying to figure a way to get to it I don't think it's worth pulling the motor. I have removed the one from the motor I'm putting in now. Hopefully we'll both have good luck.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Billy,

Where are the pictures from Monday?? BTW, I meant to mention to you to go to www.abirdseyeview.net to check out the pictures from the RI Poker Run. There are some nice shots of your boat. I was very pleased with a few of the shots of both my Scarab and the Pantera!

The motor I've been talking about here is the the one in my Scarab.

The race motor which is a GenVI also, has the bypass plugged. We just installed an oil temp gage in that and found 230-240 cruising 270 running hard! We have the stock HP500 setup, so I think we will go to a larger cooler and better plumbing this winter.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:12 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Cool!! When you blow them up they look pretty good.
BTW, Are you planning on being on the Cape next weekend??
Call me (508)237-3326
Old 09-14-2004, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, 11 lb valve out, 30 lb valve in. Ran the bajeebers out of her at WOT for around 15 minutes or so. Did that 3 times over the couse of the day. Oil temp down from just over 270 to just over 260. Only 10* drop. But better than what it was. Engine guy says he did not check to see if there was a valve in the center {return....pizz me off}. So I'll see if I can get that out myself, if one is in there.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:48 AM
rtjack

I Have Purchased 2 502 Service Based Mag Engines From Acompany Called Marine Engines. They Also Sold Me Par #mpo520-000oil Adapter .the Contact There Is Jk Very Knowlegable Person.ph.800-786-7639

Old 09-22-2004, 01:17 PM
Registered

While my port mtr was out I took a screwdriver that I bent into a flat hook on the end and sized (using the 11# bypass I took out) and clamped it at a 90deg with vise grips , shoved that baby up the center hole, cocked it at an angle to grab the inside with the hook and whacked the vice grips with a hammer. It came out on the sec blow .
I was very happy not to have to pull that motor,,AGAIN.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:18 PM
Registered

Talking about the starboard.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:08 PM
Registered

Where is the middle bypass located? I am familiar with the bypass in the filter pad, but not the middle one?

Quick Reply: Oil by pass valve GenVI

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.