Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Bravo from TRS conversion, What is needed? >

Bravo from TRS conversion, What is needed?

Notices

Bravo from TRS conversion, What is needed?

Old 09-18-2004, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Bravo from TRS conversion, What is needed?

10 mph? I would be surprised. Put a junked TRS back on, sell it all and buy that 2002 28' with a new 525 in it, fresh water only........
37 degrees in LG last night according to weather.com. Too cold too soon...............Hope the project is doing well.

Cheers
Old 09-18-2004, 09:11 PM
Registered

10 mph? I would be surprised, lets hope so though. Put a junked TRS back on, sell it all and buy that 2002 28' with a new 525 in it, fresh water only........
37 degrees in LG last night according to weather.com. Too cold too soon...............Hope the project is doing well.

Cheers
Old 09-18-2004, 09:12 PM
Registered

10 mph? I would be surprised, lets hope so though. Put a junked TRS back on, sell it all and buy that 2002 28' with a new 525 in it, fresh water only........
37 degrees in LG last night according to weather.com. Too cold too soon...............Hope the project is going well.

Cheers
Old 09-19-2004, 01:32 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The water pickup is through the bottom of the hull not the orig transom mounted one. I may need to keep it because the X dim will be 18.5 so that I can use the standard exhaust cutouts with little or no modification and I am concerned about water pressure with the standard water pickups on the bravo, they are high on the drive. As far as speed goes I will be suprised if I gain more than 2 mph, I once ran against an identical boat but with 120 more hp and a bravo and easily passed him with the TRS boat. In theory it should free up 20hp and an inch or more of drive height netting about 2-4 mph. If I can resist the temptation to port the heads or stroke the motor while it is out it will make a good expirement.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:01 PM
Registered

But that 28 is only $90,000...............
Old 09-20-2004, 11:08 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

My 24 excalibur with high x Bravo ran same speeds or better than other 24's I came accross that had 100hp more and trs setup!!
Old 09-21-2004, 06:34 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have yet to see a Bravo conversion boat go ANY faster then when it was a TRS boat. The TRS is a more hydrodynamic bullet that is why it does not need a nose cone tell a couple miles a hour more then the Bravo does. The Bravo's start to blow out much earlier then a TRS will. Ussually people when they do this conversion add power so it is hard to say what the real gains are if any but I would keep the TRS set up for what you are going to have to go trough, or give Konrad a call.

Jon
Old 09-21-2004, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IRONMAN
What do I need in addition to the following:?

1. bellhousing
2. coupler
3. transom plates/gimble housing
4. shift bracket
5. drive

I know that I have to fill the transom hole and relocate the engine. I already have a bravo style CMI exhaust system and bravo exhaust location cutouts in the transom, and the new style trim pump.

What else other than $$$$$ do I need to add to the list of hardware? Thanks for the HELP. Chris
Consider the Konrad option:

Bellhousing: Nope
Coupler: Nope
Transom plates/gimbal housing: Optional
Shift Bracket: Nope
Drive: Yes.

Fill transom: Nope
Relocate motor: Nope
Exhaust changes: Nope
New trim pump: Nope

Have your conversion done in a day or so, and still be boating yet this season: Priceless.

Cheers,
Brian
Old 09-21-2004, 11:05 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

To keep the TRS system I would have needed a drive, transom assembly, Merc2 tranny yoke and maybe the transmission because it did not break this time but i am sure it is ready to fail. If I already had the Borg Warner trans I would have kept the TRS or gone Konrad, I do not think the merc ll tranny will last another year or more behind 500hp without major overhaul. And If I were going to add the borg warner trans then I would also have to consider maybe a used SSM 5. Then If I had the SSM or Konrad I would want to add power, It is a never ending cycle.
Chris
Old 09-21-2004, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far the Konrad 540 from TRS conversions have ranged between 4 and 8 mph velocity gains by just bolting on the system in boats running around the 80mph mark. some have gained 1.5mph with the cast in nose cone.

Some boats are dialed in better than others thus the variance.

Most of the bravo to konrad conversions have been in slower boats and have seen very little difference.

The Hong Kong police changed their interceptors from Bravo to Konrad for durability reasons. They were boats running about 70mph. They added 50 hp for each engine and stayed the same. I think we could get more out of the boat but they wanted to keep the same propellers.

Here is a shot of the interceptor:
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Bravo from TRS conversion, What is needed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.