Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Salvaging My Sunk Boat- What Should I Save? >

Salvaging My Sunk Boat- What Should I Save?

Notices

Old 09-07-2004, 08:56 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

Man, this is gonna be a sad day in a very sad month...

I'm getting ready to pull my boat off the bottom of the canal later this week, where it has been since Charley put it there on the 13th. Seems like a long time underwater to try and save the motor. Is it possible after this much time? I'm thinking of pulling the outdrive, trim cylinders, risers, manifolds, heads, intake manifold and trim tabs and let the salvage yard have it. Should I worry about parts like the bellhousing and gimbal assembly? I figure everything else is toast by now- steering rack, trim pump, power steering pump etc...

Any advice? Is the carb worth saving, can it be rebuilt?

How do salvage yards operate? Will they charge me or pay me? The trailer's not great, but useable... should it go as part of the deal?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 09-07-2004, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Salvaging My Sunk Boat- What Should I Save?

sucks man .....we got people *****in like hell up in JAX from the little blow we got ....they have no clue ....hope it works out ....
Old 09-07-2004, 09:26 PM
formula223271

First question is it insured or not insured? If it is insured let it all go, and depending on your policy you may negotiate the value(acv policy) or agreed policy. Salvage yards in Florida will be covered up and not offering much. If you are trying to salvage what is left because your boat was not covered, save the fiberglass. If you are dealing with an insurance company, Florida State Board of Insurance can be helpful if the insurance company stalls on payment. They actually have a website that you can file a complaint on. I ran two boat dealerships one in Texas and one in Florida before I went to law school. I actually had a formula totaled in Florida because the windshield shattered and producing a replacement windshield was going to cost $35,000. Funny thing, after my boat was totaled and sold to a salvage company it showed up on Boattrader without a salvage title. Good luck and be careful with your new purchase. If you have any other questions you can email me at [email protected].

Old 09-11-2004, 08:49 PM
HeavyChevSS

Sorry dude,
where in SW FL you located?, I'm in Clw... and know someone awesomeeeeeeee.... enail me at same name but aol.com Miight be cheaper to buy it from ins' co'...
Good Luck.
Rick

Old 09-11-2004, 09:43 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Save the transom assembly and bellhousing. I need a comlete bravo driveline from the bellhousing to the propshaft if it is reasonable.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:49 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

What is it?
Is it fresh or brackish (or salt) water? <-- This matters more than any other answer. As odd as it sounds, if it is in fresh water, the time lapse you are talking about isn't a huge factor. If it is salt, it is a goner.

Sunk boats can salvage out okay but it's got to be done right.

The insurance question is significant. But if you desire to try to resurrect it, it will still need to be salvaged properly or it will turn to sh!t within an hour after it hits fresh air.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:42 PM
HeavyChevSS

Hope it is behind your house, salvage laws stink down here....