Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Engine doesn't start. (454 MAG Stock) >

Engine doesn't start. (454 MAG Stock)

Notices

Engine doesn't start. (454 MAG Stock)

Old 09-09-2004, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Engine doesn't start. (454 MAG Stock)

I have a 454 mag that is stock. For the past few weeks when trying to start the boat it has been giving some trouble. I would turn the switch, and nothing. I would mess with it for a while and finally it would turn over and start. Now, it has gotten worse. Got ready to go to the lake on Saturday and haven't been able to get it to turn over since. I know that the switch is good due to when turning it I can hear the fuel/water separator clicking. Monday I took the starter off and had it tested and it fired everytime. Went home and put the starter back on the boat, and nothing. Now I'm totally lost!?!
Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:50 AM
HeavyChevSS

Default Re: Engine doesn't start. (454 MAG Stock)

Have you checked the "neutral" safety switch in shift control, kill switch if you have one, still could be your key switch- on & start are separate stops on it, starter solenoid? Just things I would try as in the past on different occasions I have had 3/4 of those happen. I would probably try starting motor from the solenoid then work backwards from there. Unless you can figure out what you messed with that helped before. Irritating yes but hopefully just a $25 switch somewhere, just my .02...

Old 09-09-2004, 09:09 AM
Registered

Make sure your connections to the starter are clean and not corroded. Or there could be a break in the wire somewhere?
Old 09-09-2004, 09:14 AM
Registered

In the past I did a lot of wiggling of the shifter in which it started, so maybe it is the neutral safety switch. I doesn't have a kill switch. Do you know where the neutral safety switch is located? Is it inside the shifter or on the motor side?
Old 09-09-2004, 09:17 AM
Registered

I cleaned all of the connections were clean when I put the starter back on the boat. Haven't checked any wiring for breaks yet. At least not any further from the wires in the engine hatch
Old 09-09-2004, 12:59 PM
HeavyChevSS

safety switch should plug into shifter, once you find it you should be able to figure out how to bypass it just to see if it was the cause.

Old 09-09-2004, 06:25 PM
Registered

just because the solenoid on top of the water separator is clicking does not mean it is working! contact's inside may be corroded. easy to check simply by jumping the top posts of the solenoid. it looks just like a old ford solenoid.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:33 PM
Registered

A few more details would help. What's your set-up, transmission? If so, neutral switch will be located there.

Another thought is if you have a remote starter switch, hook one lead to the yellow wire on the solenoid and the other lead to the main positive feeding the starter, the big red wire on the solenoid right next to the yellow one. If you don't have a remote start button, any thing with a switch on it between these two points would work. If you don't have that and you want to find out real quick, a piece of wire touched to these two points real quick will work. If it turns over, your starters fine and so is the solenoid. In which case look for and check the starter relay. Mine is located on a bracket, rear top of engine where the main wiring harness plugs in. When that relay starts to go bad, when you turn the key sometimes, all you hear is a click but the starter doesn't engage. If you turn the key often enough, the starter may finally engages and thew motor starts. If that's been happening but now it no long works at all, the relay finally went bad and you need to replace it.

Less likely but something else to look for would be a breaker mounted near the starter relay, found my tripped once, never figured out what caused it, must have cross a wire or something like that. It doesn't sound like that's you problem but worth checking if you have one in the circuit.

Just a few thoughts.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:27 AM
HeavyChevSS

Formula,
That was my reason for testing the solenoid. Power on even with low voltage would that be enough to engage the starter? Also isn't the solenoid the same as relay for a merc application. Same as an old ford setup- I am asking on this one?
Rick

Old 09-10-2004, 08:43 AM
Registered

Thanks for all of your suggestions!
I will try a few of these things when I get home tonight.

Quick Reply: Engine doesn't start. (454 MAG Stock)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.