Programmable ECU's for HP 500 EFI's?

Notices

Programmable ECU's for HP 500 EFI's?

Old 12-28-2001, 08:06 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys, I'll get right on it.
This thread should be on the main page, I can't seem to find it except on this thread.

Eddie Simmons
Superboatusa.com
Old 12-28-2001, 08:59 AM
Registered

fastedy,
I did post it on the general discussion board also, because I want everyone to be aware of the problem, maybe if enough of us let Merc know, they'll do something about it, they are kinda famous for blowing people off, however...must be the monopoly thing ! Maybe we can apply some pier pressure!
Old 12-28-2001, 11:07 PM
Registered

Mark B. at Precision Marine in Kenner, LA. is the man to talk to about your ECU. You can expect to see some mph from the changes too. I saw 4mph gain in a boat with twin's.

504-469-7463 Tell him Dave from G.C.O. sent you.

Dave

Only problem is you gotta wait till next year. 2002
Old 12-29-2001, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I have 2000 500efi's and see the soot on the swim platform, especially after poker runs. Confirms my thoughts on Moblie 1 and 20 hour oil changes!!!
Old 12-30-2001, 10:32 AM
Adivanman

Exclamation

So let me get this straight, we have the most powerful and reliable OEM fuel injected V8 motors available on the planet earth and your complaining because they run rich.

wow.

The primary reason they run rich is due to the lack of an O2 sensor, which, while possible is not necessarily practical.

Tell you what, take the EFI intake and ECU, put it in a box, and send it to me. Then I will send you the Holley carburetor of your choice. I will even pay shipping if you send them ground.

Old 12-31-2001, 08:13 AM
Registered

yeah, with 5 1/2 percent fuel in the oil, I'm complaining, real good for bearings!!!
Old 12-31-2001, 01:03 PM
Registered

I noticed that my ring gaps were aligned on all but two pistons when I tore down my HP500EFI. This would certainly allow for blow-by. From what I understand this is fairly typical on these engines.

BTW, I did not experience fuel in the oil, a rich condition, nor oil consumption. I run Mobile 1 15-50. I decided to freshen the motor before adding a blower.
Old 12-31-2001, 07:31 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey boathead,
I am really surprised about the response to your post.. I guess you hit on something. Sounds like a good idea to do the fuel analysis. If everyone has the same situation, then Merc better step up to the plate before everyone finds their bearings worn excessively.
Now I am wondering about my EFI. Like Dustin says you need a wideband O2 sensor to see actual fuel ratio. So can anyone explain the fuel curve to soot ratio? I have seen some soot, but expected rich mixture at idle where big injectors have a hard time being controlled. But if the fuel curve is rich in the middle or top, then when is the soot being produced.. Has anyone done steady state drive by tests and read their plugs to see where the curve is rich? Lot of work, to see what Merc has given in the package.
Dustin, where would you want to see the A/F at the different rpms for a naturally aspriated motor? I would assume at idle to say 2500 it might like 14.7/1? and above that start to richen it up? What have you found in all your testing? You have the advantage with all the high dollar test equipment.. Man I would love to have your job!! Do you have any openings in the R&D dept?

Dick
Old 01-01-2002, 09:42 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Boathead, I would listen to Tyler, He knows these engines through and through. He works with racers all the time. I think the best cure would be to remove the engines and put them on a dyno then tune from there. $$

I think for 250.00 / ecu this is a deal. Tyler should have the programming down to where you shouldnt need a second programming to get it right.

By the way how much gas in the oil is too much? I have no idea. All I know my old engines that were supercharged and carbed would have 9-12 quarts of oil/gas mix when I went to change oil after only a few short runs. This is like 40% fuel content. This was the main reason I went back to fuel injection. My point is after I tore the engines down I didn't see any bad signs, bearings were good ect. Also everything was clean as a whistle too Is the 5.5% you are seeing within "tolerances" of good engine running? Just a thought.

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: Raypanic ]
Old 01-01-2002, 10:13 AM
Registered

Ray,
The main thing that alarmed me was that the oil was not within it's specified(20w50 Amsoil high perf.)grade after only 18 hrs of running time(mostly at cruising speed 3300-4000 rpm). As I am not a true gearhead, I just want 'em to run reliably and am not interested in top speed all that much, I'll let you guys make all the gas stops , and besides, if you go fast all the time, it spills the beer all over the place. I'm thinking I'll just talk to Dustin or Tyler and have 'em reprogrammed .

Happy New Year, Paul

Quick Reply: Programmable ECU's for HP 500 EFI's?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.