Notices

Crane Hydraulic Roller cam failures

Old 08-09-2005, 05:44 AM
Off the Radar
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Crane Hydraulic Roller cam failures

Originally Posted by excursion
Just pulled my motor apart tonight after loosing it on Sunday.
This cam was put in over the winter rebuild and have about 45 hours on them and the gear end was cut off so clean.
Will be in contact with Crane in the morning. I will have a pic in the a.m.
James,
Yours were black, remember me questioning you at the shop about the color and we called Crane. Crane told us they were OK and just a different core. Mine are black also. At that time there were not any copper color cores to grind.

Hopefully we will not be doing this three more times.

I would try to find a copper color one.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:57 AM
Registered

Crane opens at 8:00 and hopefully have an answer soon. Will try to find a copper colored one.
Pictures of the cam broken,
Attached Thumbnails Crane Hydraulic Roller cam failures-p8090001.jpg   Crane Hydraulic Roller cam failures-p8090002.jpg   Crane Hydraulic Roller cam failures-p8090003.jpg  

Old 08-09-2005, 07:26 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine looked EXACTLY the same. Crane will give you a refund on the cam, but they told me they would all be copper color now, and since my grind even had a new part number, I figured all was good. But then I recieved my NEW cam from summit and it was black!! I will never deal with crane again. Make sure you ask supplier to check color before they ship. A friend/well known local race engine builder also quit using thier roller lifters 6 years ago because of breakage, and is telling me to yank mine out now, and go w/ comp, even though I'm not even buying parts through him!!
Never heard anything bad about Comps stuff, and that what I had always used.....wish I had stuck with it........

Won't forget all this effort that never should have happened. I want to know where my paycheck is for being part of Cranes R&D dept. !!!!
Attached Thumbnails Crane Hydraulic Roller cam failures-cam-swap-oso-1.jpg   Crane Hydraulic Roller cam failures-cig-27-broken-cam.jpg  
Old 08-09-2005, 07:38 AM
Registered

Sorry for your problems also.

Just spoke with Crane and they had no copper color ones on the shelf, but they are going to grind one today and ship it out next day air for me and then I will return my old one to them for a refund. Tech was very nice and helpful, lets wait and see if they stand behind there product?????
Old 08-09-2005, 07:38 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Just pulled my motor apart tonight after loosing it on Sunday.
This cam was put in over the winter rebuild and have about 45 hours on them and the gear end was cut off so clean.
Will be in contact with Crane in the morning. I will have a pic in the a.m.
What was your cam #? just for curiosity sake.......
Old 08-09-2005, 07:45 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Sorry for your problems also.

Just spoke with Crane and they had no copper color ones on the shelf, but they are going to grind one today and ship it out next day air for me and then I will return my old one to them for a refund. Tech was very nice and helpful, lets wait and see if they stand behind there product?????
Sure, they will stand behind their product, but unfortunately they can't afford to pay you for your hassle....and how do you really put a value on that?? They took the best part of my summer, and NO-ONE can guarantee me that I will get another one!!
Old 08-09-2005, 07:46 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Lets not forget they knew about this LAST YEAR, before I bought my cam.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:45 AM
35/25

Don't get me started again you guys. When I broke the second cam in the same motor, Crane tech suggested that something must be wrong with my rotating assembly causing weird harmonics within the motor and transmitting to the cam....... So we took the motor completely apart, had the crank, rods, pistons, balancer, flywheel checked for balance, had the cam bores checked for alignment, on and on. The machinist found absolutely nothing wrong with anything. So I called Crane back and told them this. Only then did I end up talking with the senior tech guy and he admitted that they were seeing this mysterious breakage with the black cams. So now I was out even more money needlessly. Unbelievable!!!! The fact that Crane gave me another new cam is almost an insult.

Old 08-09-2005, 11:32 AM
Off the Radar
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Hang Time 27
What was your cam #? just for curiosity sake.......

Old 08-09-2005, 11:41 AM
Off the Radar
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 35/25
Don't get me started again you guys. When I broke the second cam in the same motor, Crane tech suggested that something must be wrong with my rotating assembly causing weird harmonics within the motor and transmitting to the cam....... So we took the motor completely apart, had the crank, rods, pistons, balancer, flywheel checked for balance, had the cam bores checked for alignment, on and on. The machinist found absolutely nothing wrong with anything. So I called Crane back and told them this. Only then did I end up talking with the senior tech guy and he admitted that they were seeing this mysterious breakage with the black cams. So now I was out even more money needlessly. Unbelievable!!!! The fact that Crane gave me another new cam is almost an insult.
I find it hard to believe they are insulting us more by sending another Black cam. I really like the Crane's stuff but I am finding it hard to believe they are still shipping this core out. I may have to look into Comp cams more. I 've used the lifters with good luck. I have two black cams in mine now. I hate to worry if I think something may break. I have it even worse, I spent 2K with Mark @ Precision Marine getting my engines perfect to work with these cams and the EFI unit. If I switch, That would have to be done over.

Quick Reply: Crane Hydraulic Roller cam failures

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.