Reasons for using a shorty drive >

Reasons for using a shorty drive

Notices

Reasons for using a shorty drive

Old 09-17-2004, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Reasons for using a shorty drive

Alpha SS is a great dive... I had the exact same set up on my 22 Velocity for a while.. Ran 70.1 with a L&S Box... Just a bit of warning in advance that drive can't handle much more power so if you are ever considering more power your gonna need another drive.... Imco single ram PS @ 1200 bucks is one of the best investments i made in my boat.. its a dream to drive... I can now let go of the wheel @ 77mph.
And its just down right safer .... Snap a steering cable 75 and you're not gonna like the ride! Can you get your hands on the shorty and give it a go before you buy it.. my bet is that once its on your boat its not coming off.. less drag = less walk. Love the idea above of a Hydro Q4 the stern lift may help out a bit! great little boat and sure sounds like you've dialed her in well! Good luck with the Alpha SS MW
Old 09-17-2004, 11:36 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info Velo. Actually I'm buying the gearcase and taking the internals out of my gen 2 with the heavy duty gears and putting it in the bare upper. Thank single ram price doesn't seem to bad. I would liek to try a Hydro Q4 but not to many dealers up in Minnesota that I know of. The L&S box I'm assuming your taking about an extension right? How hard is it to put one of those? one and how much do they cost
Old 09-17-2004, 11:39 AM
Registered

Wow my IE errored out and it screwed up the words in my post. This is how it is suppose to look.

Thanks for the info Velo. Actually I'm buying the lower gearcase and taking the internals out of my gen 2 upper with the heavy duty gears and putting it in the bare upper. That single ram price doesn't seem to bad. I would like to try a Hydro Q4 but not to many dealers up in Minnesota that I know of. The L&S box I'm assuming your taking about an extension right? How hard is it to put one of those on, and how much do they cost?
Old 09-17-2004, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AC... I had the oppisite problem.. I needed the Bow lift on my boat which was the reason for the stern jack.... There are many arguments for the Box, both positive and negative...Thought I can say for me it worked very vell.. its a simlpe 6 bolt hook up maybe an hour @ best... no clue as to cost these days...Theres a good article in a back issue of Poker Run mag that explains the theory behind the box... heres a link...
http://www.land-and-sea.com/public/a...ns_article.htm good luck! MW
Old 09-17-2004, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

ACrooks69, I'm running an Alpha SS on an '88 Baja Sunsport 196 with a 11.25:1 Chevy 357. The previous owner installed it and claimed that he gained 4 MPH and better handling. He also removed the hook from the last 6" of the hull. Currently, the boat runs 78 @ 5900 with a stock Mirage 23P. With a 125HP shot of nitrous, I've run 84 @ 6300. I'm still dialing in the 150HP shot, but I expect to see around 86-87 with the cooler weather that's coming.

In what conditions are you trying to run over 70? If it's anything other than smooth water, you'll see that chine walk. I have to get out on the water by 8AM on a weekend to run high speeds.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:59 PM
Registered

Plum, Actually it chine walks worse in calm water. The boat likes a little chop to skip over the waves. What is your prop shaft height in relation to the bottom of the transom?
Old 09-17-2004, 01:12 PM
Registered

I don't know offhand, but I'll measure it. However, I believe that the SS is 3" shorter overall.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:14 PM
Registered

Here's an older pic of the SS with a Spinelli prop:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../Baja/nos1.jpg
Old 09-17-2004, 08:33 PM
Registered

ACrooks69, my prop shaft is 5" below the hull.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:51 PM
Registered

Plum, what are you running for a prop? I don't feel so bad now yanking the guts out of my good unit and puttig it in the old drive. I think 5.5 inches is plenty of depth for running this hull. Granted hull it is a little steeper than yours but it should be OK.

Anybody got the quick mod for putting a gen 1 Alpha 1 drive on a gen 2 bellhousing? I know there is something I have to do whith the shifter foot. But that is all I have been told.

Quick Reply: Reasons for using a shorty drive

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.