engine submerged while boat on trailer >

engine submerged while boat on trailer

Notices

engine submerged while boat on trailer

Old 09-27-2004, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine submerged while boat on trailer

as a byproduct of hurricane Ivan we had flooding on the Ohio river My baja was on the trailer in the garage with drainplug out.(ouch) The water rose to the valve covers but fell short of the air filter.There was water in the oilpan which has been drained I also have pulled the sparkplugs and filled the cylinders with marvels mystery oil.What next? Do I need to pull and dismantle? the engine is a 509 with airflow research heads and efi whipplecharger. the motor has only 30 hours on it. ANY advise would be appreciated.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: engine submerged while boat on trailer

Rotate the engine several times by hand to rmove as much water as possible.

Put the plugs back in, change the oil, and run on the hose for a bit, change the oil again, Now run it up to temp on the hose, and change again, do this a crapload(OK, just 2-3 more) more times, and you should be ok. Doesnt hurt to change it often, maybe after each run for a bit, just to make sure you got it all out.

OR.........

Tear it down, but I would try to salvage it first.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:50 PM
Registered

And the sooner the better, like , right now !!

Last edited by rich allen; 09-27-2004 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-27-2004, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Blow out the starter as best you can with air. Blow out the alternator as well. Pull spark plugs and lanyard and crank away until she gets warm. Do this after first drain and fill of oil. You should pull the started but if the water was clean you should be ok.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Vanmeterf,
I would do all the above but plan on having the alternator, and starter reconditioned, no big deal put them and get them done.
Water is a nasty corrosive fresh or salt.
Recon both and minimise your problems down the road.
Good Luck
Sorry to hear of your misfortune.
Brian
Old 09-28-2004, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope it did not get in your tanks.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:35 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I was just going to say check you fuel tank(s) too. Might be worth the effort of pumping them dry and starting with fresh fuel and a fresh fuel/water seperator.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

You can try the fuel in the tank.
Get a new separator element. Replace the old one with it. Dump out the old one into a bucket. After cranking for ten seconds, remove the new separator and dump it into a NEW bucket (or glass jar). Let it sit for a minute to see if water blobs fall to the bottom. If they do not, this is good news. You'll still need to dump the contents of the separator every few minutes when you get her to fire up (and look closely for water blobs).

Don't feel bad. My neighbor sunk his boat THREE times out of the water. TWICE he left the drainplug in and rain filled the boat to the gunnels. ONCE he let rain fill it up so much on his boat lift that it collapsed the lift and then the boat filled up over the carb with additional rain..

Dump and replace fluids and filters and get it running IMMEDIATELY and let get up to running temp. Flush and refill and new filters, then again after an hour of running.

Starter and alternator are in need of new shaft bearings and repacking the end caps and bendix assembly. If you don't, expect maybe fifteen hours out of them before they holler for help. You can even do the bearings and grease job yourself if you don't want to pay the $75 a pop for someone else to do it. Just take out the bearings and match them up at the bearing house. The windings and brushes will be fine (need a little moly lube on them maybe).

Drain, blow out, and refill the trim system and power steering system.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:33 AM
Banned

I've done it on the same engine three times (not the 302). I pull the plugs, squirt mmo in them. Drain the oil/water mixture. Turn the engine over to get as much water out of the cyls as possible. Put the plugs back in, fill the crankcase with half oil and half diesel. Start the engine, let it run for a couple minutes. Drain the oil/diesel/water mixture. Refill with new oil and you're done. The diesel will cut the emulsified oil in one shot, no need for multiple oil changes. You can change it one more time if it makes you feel better, but I know that it gets the water out in one shot. The little bit of water that may still be in the engine will boil out. There won't be enough left to emulsify.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:31 AM
Registered

All of the above plus pull the outdrive to inspect the u-joint an gimbal bearing area for trapped water. Grease the u-joints (if they have zirks) and coupler splines. Grease the gimbal bearing too. Operate all systems asap and try to get boat inside for a few days with fans blowing into lockers, bilge, etc. WD40 everything after washing. If your hydraulic pumps went under they will also need service. Good luck.

Quick Reply: engine submerged while boat on trailer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.