Servicing a 575SCI blower >

Servicing a 575SCI blower

Notices

Servicing a 575SCI blower

Old 10-04-2004, 01:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servicing a 575SCI blower

Anyone done this themselves? Looks like it must be removed to do it? Can the oil be sucked out thru the fill plug and simply replaced? does the oil run all the way back to the rear of the blower (I would imagine the brgs on that end need oil too). I guess I could run it, get it warm, trailer it, get the trailer running down hill so all the oil is at the fill end?

Can the blower be modded when off to allow for on engine service in the future? (Like drill and tap a 1/4" pipe plug in the right place to drin the oil, use a magnet plug)

Between me and InXS we've got three blowers to service (The blue painted one's, not the ones in the seats), I hate the thought of taking things apart and chipping blue paint in the process.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:00 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts
Default Re: Servicing a 575SCI blower

I don't know about the Weiand 256's on the 575's, but I can tell you about my 177's on my 525sc. I'm not sure if they are set up the same or not.

On the 177, the front and backs of the SC are totally separate and don't share lube. The front has a fill hole on the top of the SC and it has a small dipstick to check the level. The rear has a sight plug/fill hole. I have to suck the lube out of both places to change it. I change it at the end of every season and use Merc Hi-perf gear lube.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:29 AM
Registered

I don't have the answer but I've been trying to find out without much luck. Took the fill plug out of the front but there is a plate right at the fill preventing getting a suction hose in there. Could not find any fill in the back but seems like there must be one. I haven't even been able to get a consensus on the oil to put in from the local mechanics. Ordered the Manual from Merc for the engine and it was worthless as far as the blower. Best lead that I've been told is some blowers can be drained by removing one of the lower front bolts. I haven't tried taking a bolt out yet to see if I get oil but this would certainly make it easy if that worked.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by zahndok
I don't have the answer but I've been trying to find out without much luck. Took the fill plug out of the front but there is a plate right at the fill preventing getting a suction hose in there. Could not find any fill in the back but seems like there must be one. I haven't even been able to get a consensus on the oil to put in from the local mechanics. Ordered the Manual from Merc for the engine and it was worthless as far as the blower. Best lead that I've been told is some blowers can be drained by removing one of the lower front bolts. I haven't tried taking a bolt out yet to see if I get oil but this would certainly make it easy if that worked.
Yea, I thought of the bolt thing too. The manual does confirm to use merc hi perf gear lube and it does discuss removing it to drain it. That's too bad about the suction tube obstruction.