Winterizing-Alpha Drive Question >

Winterizing-Alpha Drive Question

Notices

Winterizing-Alpha Drive Question

Old 10-07-2004, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winterizing-Alpha Drive Question

In the winterizing process, typically I pull my lower (Bravo One) and grease the U-Joints, then reassemble and refill with fresh gear lube.

Does the Alpha need/have the same requirement? I am helping a friend winterize his boat and I wanted to make sure prior to pulling the lower for no reason.

Any tricks or things to be careful of when pulling the lower? I'm not real familiar with the Alpha....I know the sea-water pump is in the lower...should that be replaced every season?

Thanks for the input!!!
Old 10-07-2004, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Winterizing-Alpha Drive Question

Originally Posted by Dave1972
In the winterizing process, typically I pull my lower (Bravo One) and grease the U-Joints, then reassemble and refill with fresh gear lube.

Does the Alpha need/have the same requirement? I am helping a friend winterize his boat and I wanted to make sure prior to pulling the lower for no reason.

Any tricks or things to be careful of when pulling the lower? I'm not real familiar with the Alpha....I know the sea-water pump is in the lower...should that be replaced every season?

Thanks for the input!!!
You say lower, but I assume since you mean the whole drive, since you said U-joints. Yes, the impeller should be changed occasionally, this would be agood time to do it, but you will have to separate the lower from the upper to do it, other than that piece of cake, warning though, a gen-1 is different from a gen-2, just make sur eyou get the right parts, they are NOT interchangeable.

As far as pulling the drive, just put it in forward gear(important for reinstall), and remove the nuts(6 I think), and the trim rams, and pull, now is a good time to check alignment too.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:45 PM
Registered

Question Re: Winterizing-Alpha Drive Question

I also have an Alpha Gen II and it's supose to have pre-lubed no grease'um U-Joints so how often should you pull the the drive to check the U-Joints. When you pull the drive what about the connection to the drive lube monitor. Never pulled a drive before but I know it's going to happen sooner or later.

Thanks
Old 10-07-2004, 02:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Badtoon
I also have an Alpha Gen II and it's supose to have pre-lubed no grease'um U-Joints so how often should you pull the the drive to check the U-Joints. When you pull the drive what about the connection to the drive lube monitor. Never pulled a drive before but I know it's going to happen sooner or later.

Thanks
I have a gen-II, and the U-joints have grease fittings!!!!

Sounds like yours is newer, becuase I dont have the drive lube Bottle, but the passage is in the housing for it, it is just an O-ring, they sell a gasket set so you can replace them all while your in there. If I can do it, anyone can, its easy, just get a helper, its a little tricky to balance it on your foot, and get the drveshaft and all lined up going back in.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:57 PM
Registered

I used to pull my alpha every fall.

It was a good chance to inspect the boot, inspect and grease the spline and hub.

be sure to get the right gasket kit for the drive/helmet connection.

Having everything in forward is key.

Should you split the drive, make sure that you are careful not to compress the shift shaft where it mates to the geared spline at the rear of the top of the lower half. there are a couple "hidden" (not really but sort of) bolts that sometimes mess with people when they split the drive for the first time.

The impleller job is usually easy, but the first time you do it will be kind of weird. Sometimes the rubber vanes come off the shaft easy. Sometimes no.

They recommend replacing the 6 nylok nuts each time.

When in doubt. OSO member Iggy can do alphas with his eyes closed, sleeping, behind his back.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:10 PM
Registered

Upper
Attached Thumbnails Winterizing-Alpha Drive Question-alpha-upper.jpg  
Old 10-07-2004, 03:10 PM
Registered

lower
Attached Thumbnails Winterizing-Alpha Drive Question-alpha-lower.jpg  
Old 10-07-2004, 03:14 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

My 2cents worth now.
It sounds like you have two questions.
(1) grease u-joints. Yes you have to pull the drive. Like everyone has said make sure it is in forward all the way. When you install it make sure the oudrive is in foward gear. You will see this shift shaft, it should be point straight ahead or the outdrive will not slide into place. The original Alpha you had to install a big seal (4 inches) that seals water from coming into the ujoint bellows. The newer ones might work like the Bravo's.
(2) if you are replacing the impeller you do not need to remove the outdrive. From memory there are 4 bolts to seperate it. There will also be a little o-ring between the cases that the gear oil transfers from upper to lower.
Have fun.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 1BIGJIM
My 2cents worth now.
(2) if you are replacing the impeller you do not need to remove the outdrive. From memory there are 4 bolts to seperate it. There will also be a little o-ring between the cases that the gear oil transfers from upper to lower.
Have fun.
You only need to remove the lower for the impeller, but there are 6 bolts, Dont forget the hidden one's!!!
Attached Thumbnails Winterizing-Alpha Drive Question-alpha-lower-2.jpg   Winterizing-Alpha Drive Question-alpha-upper-2.jpg  
Old 10-07-2004, 03:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 1BIGJIM
My 2cents worth now.
(1) grease u-joints. Yes you have to pull the drive. Like everyone has said make sure it is in forward all the way. When you install it make sure the oudrive is in foward gear. You will see this shift shaft, it should be point straight ahead or the outdrive will not slide into place. The original Alpha you had to install a big seal (4 inches) that seals water from coming into the ujoint bellows. The newer ones might work like the Bravo's.
Have fun.
This member triggered my memory. The shaft I was talking about is inside, so to speak. I think that the thing he is talking about above is the "shift shoe." It stays with the upper, and if you try to slide the lower up under it, it has to be pointing forward/rear (aligned with the keel of the boat.), which makes no sense, because you would think forward would be to one side.
But he's totally right.
There is this bolt....
You will find your hidden bolt when you take of the anode/zinc "tab." It is a honking sized allen. If you don't take of the anode thingy off you will cuss and cuss.

Quick Reply: Winterizing-Alpha Drive Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.