Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Average Shop hours to swap motor ... >

Average Shop hours to swap motor ...

Notices

Average Shop hours to swap motor ...

Old 10-12-2004, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Average Shop hours to swap motor ...

OK you shop guys ....311 Formula ..454mags ..what would be an estimate to swap a motor ..in hours ...Long Block swap ....
Old 10-12-2004, 06:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Average Shop hours to swap motor ...

If you know what your do'in 12-15 hrs. each side. If the long blocks have the tin on them then you will save 3 or 4 hrs. If you have not done something like this before...take your time and mark everything. take a few digital pics after you have them out (should take about two or three hrs. to get them out.) Make sure they are detailed pics of how everything is routed, wireing, hoses, coolers brkts. ect. Good luck!
Old 10-12-2004, 06:56 PM
Registered

My point is here that my shop quoted me 28 hours! We are geting a new motor under warranty but they did some repairs that failed and should have done it right the first time ... see this thread for details ..

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=86971

Anyway they said they wanted to cut me some slack and will do it it for Half the 28 hours ....I think I been had ?
Old 10-13-2004, 05:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by formulaz583
your're kidding right?
I would think 14 hours is about right ... thats 4 hours to remove ....6 hours to swap accessories ..and 4 hours to install the motor ...They told me Jasper might pay the labor but the would only pay 50.00/hr and only 700.00 so I would still owe 400 ... looks like Jasper figures 14 hours ....why cant people be straight up ....
Old 10-13-2004, 07:04 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That seams pretty high? The shop I took my 30' Spectre to last fall had both motors out in about 3hrs. It took us about 6 to put them both back in and drives on. That doesn't include anytime to switch accessories.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:26 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He said long block guys not and engine swap...Any of you guys that say you can swap out a long block in 3 hrs. Come work for me. We do long block job in about 7-8 hrs with two guys. I have done hundreds of them. If someone quoted you thirty hours I would question that estimate. Call a few other marine shops to compare quotes. Remember you can put a motor in fast or you can put it in right!
Old 10-13-2004, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a very true statement. I usually charge 8-10 hours on a single to R&R. That is not including a long block were you have to swap accessories. 20-25 hours would not be a horrible estimate for twins. Are the motors extremly tight? Does the exhaust have to be removed to get the motors out? Is there an engine hatch that has to be removed or a back seat to get the motors out? What condition is the motor compartment will there have to be a lot of things fixed when the motors go back? Such as wiring, motor mounts, etc.... When I estimate a job like that I take all of that into consideration, and still miss some hidden problems. One guy should be able to do this job on his own.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rock hard
That is a very true statement. I usually charge 8-10 hours on a single to R&R. That is not including a long block were you have to swap accessories. 20-25 hours would not be a horrible estimate for twins. Are the motors extremly tight? Does the exhaust have to be removed to get the motors out? Is there an engine hatch that has to be removed or a back seat to get the motors out? What condition is the motor compartment will there have to be a lot of things fixed when the motors go back? Such as wiring, motor mounts, etc.... When I estimate a job like that I take all of that into consideration, and still miss some hidden problems. One guy should be able to do this job on his own.
RC .. you saying 20-25 to swap twins or per side ?
Old 10-13-2004, 09:22 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by offthefront
I would think 14 hours is about right ... thats 4 hours to remove ....6 hours to swap accessories ..and 4 hours to install the motor ...They told me Jasper might pay the labor but the would only pay 50.00/hr and only 700.00 so I would still owe 400 ... looks like Jasper figures 14 hours ....why cant people be straight up ....
I've done it in less, but when giving an estimate you need to give a little cushion. The shortest it has ever taken me was 2.5 hrs to take the motor out, 2 hrs to swap parts and 2.5 hrs. to put it back in. God forbid you have a seized bolt than you can throw this all out the window....
Old 10-13-2004, 09:22 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Do you have offshore style mounts or stock? That is a big difference in time.

Quick Reply: Average Shop hours to swap motor ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.