Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
K-Plane tab service >

K-Plane tab service

Notices

K-Plane tab service

Old 10-13-2004, 11:24 PM
erepair

Default K-Plane tab service

I am servicing a set of Kplane 280's on a Fountain 32 . Boat has been in salt water for 3 years, well maintained but in the nooks of the hinge boss' starting to need re-coating. I have removed units from vessel but am not able to readily remove hinge "pin", or upper ram stud. I have drilled small holes at each boss and injected muratic acid. I applied a bit of propane heat. Fabricated a puller adaptor for porta power. I Can not get those pins to move.
Any Help/ideas
erepair

Old 03-06-2015, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,
I know this is an old post, but I am having the same trouble. Pulled the KPlanes off my Formula 311 to clean and powder coat and now I can't get the pins out. Any suggestions?
Old 03-06-2015, 11:59 AM
Registered

Actually I'm trying to get the planes separated from the stern mounts. The stainless steal hinge pins won't budge.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We had same issues. Our tabs didn't corrode but the tabs were loose/worn from use and we couldn't get the pins out. Our issue was the tab was moving with the cylinder still fixed. We finally got the pins pressed out (toast) and then bored/reamed out the tab or plate (can't remember) and bought new pins and inserted a Delrin tube that returned all to 100%. Now 5+ years later all is still 100% with no maintenance. Way less than new parts and better than new.

Last edited by BenPerfected; 03-06-2015 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 404 Likes on 180 Posts

Try drilling a 1/8 hole on each hinge boss and a mix of 50% acetone and 50% automatic transmission fluid mixed together soak the hell out of it for a day or two, then soak it again, then heat it with mapp gas. That might brake it free.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

What I did was use a porta band saw and cut the pin between every mounting ear to separate the mounting plate from the tab. Then I was able to tackle each little piece of SS pin individually. It's a lot easier working with a piece of pin that is only 2" long. I was also able to get each piece in the hydraulic press. I used a oxy-acetylene torch to put a ton of heat on them and press them out. Heat the crap out of the tab and then hit the pin with an ice cube. It will help shrink the pin. If that doesn't work, you can also heat up the tab and melt a candle on the pin. Let it cool some and the wax will go around the pin and coat it. The wax acts like a lubricant.
Eddie
Old 03-07-2015, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I fought this issue last year. It was an absolute nightmare. I ended up having to remove the entire tabs from boat, and cut pins with a porta band, between the ears. It took days of soakings, heat, cool, heat cool, banging, etc. on some pieces. I even filled a tub with diesel and left the tabs in there for days, no help., I had to drill a hole thru the center of the stainless pin, all the way thru, and bang bang bang to get them out while applying lots of heat.. The biggest problem I found with the press, was supporting the ears so they dont break off.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:46 PM
Registered

Thanks for the feedback!