Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Edelbrock. Marine carbs / Road carbs  (#1410 Vs #4111) >

Edelbrock. Marine carbs / Road carbs (#1410 Vs #4111)

Notices

Edelbrock. Marine carbs / Road carbs (#1410 Vs #4111)

Old 10-24-2004, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Edelbrock. Marine carbs / Road carbs (#1410 Vs #4111)

OK, I know I can't use the road carb in a bilge. But the number of Quality Edelbrock second hand road carbs available in comparison to the marine versions is UPSETTING ME!.

I'm used to rebuilding my own carbs, in fact , I like doing it.

My friend manages a very profficient machine shop stocked in stainlless etc. So we can do the mods, but we dont know without buying one of each what needs to be done to make a 1411 a 1410 750 cfm.

Does anyone know the specifics of just what is the difference please?

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Old 10-25-2004, 08:45 AM
cstraub69@comcast

Default Re: Edelbrock. Marine carbs / Road carbs (#1410 Vs #4111)

Marine carb, $500. Life, Priceless. As someone who has seen a family killed because "car parts" were used on a boat with enclosed engines, it is not worth it to save a few bucks.

Chris

Old 10-25-2004, 09:55 AM
Registered

From Edelbrock:
For use in marine applications, these Edelbrock carbs comply with U.S. Coast Guard safety standards. Cast surfaces are iridited with Teflon-coated shafts and pump arm for maximum protection. Other features include modified bowl venting, specially designed throttle shafts, accelerator pump seal, 3/8" inverted flare fuel inlet fitting, tube in airhorn for fuel pump vent, 5-1/8" flame arrestor flange, universal throttle lever and revised secondaries for improved transient performance. Note: These carbs have no vacuum ports and are not for auto use. Use our Carb Stud Kits #8008 or #8024 if needed, see page 41.Marine Carburetors For use in marine applications, these Edelbrock carbs comply with U.S. Coast Guard safety standards. Cast surfaces are iridited with Teflon-coated shafts and pump arm for maximum protection. Other features include modified bowl venting, specially designed throttle shafts, accelerator pump seal, 3/8" inverted flare fuel inlet fitting, tube in airhorn for fuel pump vent, 5-1/8" flame arrestor flange, universal throttle lever and revised secondaries for improved transient performance. Note: These carbs have no vacuum ports and are not for auto use.

However, even if you made all these changes, it would still not be CG approved. In the unlikely event there is a fire, consider the liability issues. Buying a "marine" carb is very cheap insurance.
Gary
Old 10-25-2004, 03:33 PM
Registered

Question Re: Edelbrock. Marine carbs / Road carbs (#1410 Vs #4111)

Hi Chris, Gary

Firstly thank you for thinking, looking out for the safety of me and the fam.

FWIW a $500 carb actually costs the equivalent of $891 by the time its in my hands.

I need two, for a year and then if I can get a pair of 54201 inlets iridited I will need four 600's. Isnt it a pity that edelbrock pulled the plug on marine inlets.

Despite the fact that we know there is no upper limit on the price of safety sometimes you have to consider other options, because you have to accept, well I do! that you simply cant afford the very best of everything, all of the time. So why not use your own skills and (mates) resources to save money. If you can, and you can do it safely. In this instance if it is not feasible in engineering terms, then its out.

In the UK, if a device met a specification upon inspection, it would be given merit for that. Mother EU will put pay to that in no time I'm sure.

Steve
Old 10-26-2004, 08:39 AM
Registered

Ahhh, didn't realize you were in the UK. FWIW, edelbrocks (marine) are actually one of the cheaper carbs around here (under $250 new). If you're looking for a replacement, the edelbrocks are actually the old Carter AFB carb. You could check around for used marine Carter carbs (btw, these last forever since the shaft holes dont wear out like they do on automotive carbs).
Otherwise, if you must convert an auto carb, the main things are 1) vented to pour gas down the throat rather than spill outside the carb. 2) a hardline from the pump to the carb.
Gary
Old 10-26-2004, 01:08 PM
Registered

Gary

You are right to me they are by far the best value for money, no one else offers the features at this price level.

Thank you all for your advice and interest.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:14 AM
Registered

Gary it NOT going to happen...

Resale vaule

Modified car carbs value ZERO.

Interested marine buyers ZERO.

Interesed car buyers ZERO

Liability if I did mange to sell them either bunch OUCH!
Old 10-28-2004, 06:43 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

To bad you are in the UK as I have two brand new in the box that I am selling..

Jon
Old 10-31-2004, 09:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Audiofn
To bad you are in the UK as I have two brand new in the box that I am selling..

Jon
Hi Jon

Every single thing I have bought for my boat has been shipped over from the US.

But what exactly is it you are wanting to sell?

Steve
Old 10-31-2004, 09:54 AM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in the event of a fire, the insurance company would find the non marine item and your screwed.

Quick Reply: Edelbrock. Marine carbs / Road carbs (#1410 Vs #4111)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.