Notices

overheating

Old 10-31-2004, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating

Lastnight I was bringing my boat to a halloween party. To get there I had to go through a lot of no wake zone at 5-6mph. Just as I got close to the marina my alarm started going off. I opened the hatch and saw coolant in my overflow and everything seemed to be running cool. I could touch the exchanger and the plenum with no problem. I was waiting for one of my friends to dock and get me in next to them. I had to continue running while they guided me into the slip. Must have been about 5 minutes. In the morning I checked everything and the coolant in the exchanger was low so the alarm wasn't a false one. I had to refuel and go back through all the no wake zone before i could get back in open water. When I started to accelerate the motor didn't seem as smooth as usual. I checked the oil for any milkiness or foaming and everything was fine. I got back up on plane and the motor seemed ok but not as smooth at the lower rpm in gear. I am hauling for the season wednesday but is there anything I should check to make sure I didn't damage anything? I thought the rougher running might be because it was loading up from all that no wake. I run a lot of fuel pressure to keep from detonating at high rpm. Any advice would be appreciated. Happy Halloween!!
Old 11-01-2004, 08:41 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: overheating

If you did in fact overheat you should at least do a compression check. You can have a damaged head gasket without water leakage. Most of the time they will breach cylender to cylender wich will make you run pretty rough. I hope this is not the case. Good luck...
Old 11-01-2004, 11:23 AM
Registered

Thanks for the input, I am going to run it wednesday to get it out of the water. Once I get it over to my storage place I'll start checking everything. I know it seemed to smooth out as I got it running up on plane but the rougher running at idle and accelerating is scary.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:11 AM
Registered

Hey Alter Ego...

I used to run sound for a band called "alter ego." They gave me a couple shirts, one Golf, one tee, that have Alter Ego on them. They are kind of cool, but I never wore them because I didn't wear logo wear when I worked, and the band wasn't that great.

You can have them if you want them.
I could take a pic so you could see.

I was gonna give them to the goodwill, because I'm packing to move.

But I thought that you might want em.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:20 AM
HeavyChevSS

Hello Alter,
If it is running that rough at idle and bad enough for you to say "accelerating is scary." are you sure you can't move the boat without running that engine. Would hate to see a possibly minor problem turn into a major one. Just my two cents..
Rick

Old 11-03-2004, 06:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

When the buzzer goes off, you stop and inspect.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:16 AM
Registered

I just pulled the boat yesterday. I went and did the checks before I got it running and it looks like the sending unit for the temp alarm is mounted on the expansion tank by the thermostat housing so the tank was low when the alarm went off making the temp at the sending unit higher. When I heard the alarm go off I opened the hatch and there was still coolant in the overflow container. The tank, plenum and even the valvecovers were cool enough to touch. I must have been loading up bad after running in the no wake for so long or I got a bad tank of gas. It ran pretty well yesterday, much smoother acceleration and the temps and pressures were all normal. I am thinking about tearing it down over the winter and having a procharger installed so there will be a lot of opportunity to see whats been going on in there from this year. Where is the best place to get fel-pro gaskets for the thermostat housing and is there a better one to get? The mounting point for that cooling system is on the thermostat housing and it has been a problem all season. Thanks for all your input guys. Fund razor I would be intirested in seeing those shirts too....I'm trying to post a couple of pics of my boat too, hopefully they come up. I may have to resize them though.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:19 PM
Registered

Hey Alter Ego,

I will take a couple pics (or one with both shirts) when I get home tonight.

It's no big deal. Seemed like a better idea to send them to you than trash em or make rags. Especially since I never wore either shirt.

If you like em, just PM me a shipping address and I will just stick em in a padded bag and drop em in the mail. They cost me nothing. The postage won't be jack. I don't want anything.

They are both XL if I remember right. It's the words "Alter Ego" with a couple wavy lines behind the words.

If you look at the pics and they aren't your taste, no biggie... I'll just throw 'em in with my other stuff going to goodwill.

Have a good one.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:08 PM
Registered

Here are both shirts. I guess it is one wavy line behind the name. The T is a hanes beefy T. The golf shirt is a Vantage herringbone texture and the name is embroidered. I never wore either shirt. I wore black shirst at the time because most of my shows were indoors. Besides, the name didn't mean anything to me. So they hung in the closet for a long time, but they popped out cause I'm moving.
Attached Thumbnails overheating-alter-ego.jpg   overheating-alter-ego-emb.jpg   overheating-alter-ego-tshirt-close-up.jpg  

Old 11-06-2004, 07:37 AM
Registered

Hi Jason,

I didn't get your info yesterday, but I've got it now. You might wanna poof the address. Some people are nervous about that kind of thing.

Anyway... I don't want anything. People on this board have been good to me. I figure somebody will see me doing a nice thing for somebody, and they might do a nice thing for me sometime.
People like Iggy and Liberator21 have saved me hundreds of dollars on repairs because their advice is so good. Compared to that... this is nothing.
The shipping should only be a few bucks. I'll spend that on a beer.

Glad that you can use the shirts. Especially since they were never worn. They would have gone to the goodwill this morning. I'll take em to work monday and stick em in a padded bag. You'll probably get em toward the end of next week.

Have a good one.

John

Quick Reply: overheating

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.