Notices

feed back on dean nickerson's carb work

Old 11-08-2004, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: feed back on dean nickerson's carb work

Originally Posted by RLW
Let's clarify something here.
I had a Nickerson carb on my boat when I bought it.
It was a single 1050/B&M 250 setup. It ran like crap. Soot, dockability sucked, etc.
I posted a thread called, "To Boost Reference or not to Boost Reference". There was all kinds of responses. I was told you had to externally boost reference and that I didn't have to. It was confusing to say the least. One day soon after the posting of that thread, I got this phone call from Dean Nickerson. Somehow he caught wind of my thread. He does not post on this board or any board, for all I know.
Anyway, he explains that he has learned many things in regards to my 1050/B&M 250 setup. He encourages me to send me his Carb, that I have on my boat, to make improvements. I send the carb to him rather than Bobby Daniels or Bruce Dudley (remember those has beens) and low and behold it works like a charm.
So, all this crap on Deans Carbs not working could be true but when were these carbs built and who had their dickskinners in them after he returned it.
I have had him do two carbs for two different motors (NA and Blown) with excellent results.
That's my story and couldn't be happier.
Thanks for clarifying So what you are saying is that anyone who got their carb done by Dean and didn't run right, it's their fault? Or are you just stating that his worked for you? Please clarify somemore.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience with Nickerson carbs has been excellent. I had early 1990s 1050 Dominators that needed to be rebuilt and updated. My builder sent the carbs and all detailed engine specs to Dean. The engines have been run all summer. They idle perfect, very little soot on the transom, instant response, and they do not foul plugs. These are on n/a 540s with big cams and transmissions. They idle in neutral at 1200 and in gear at about 700. I am extremely pleased with the results so far.

Doug
Old 11-08-2004, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember the thread RLW posted about to boost reference or not. I took a shot and sent my carb to Dean. At the same time I had him select my cam. I bought my valves and everything else needed to do the blower build up. Put it all together and it ran perfect. Nice idle and good plug color throughout the RPM range. I think the key is to have Dean know all the variables such as cam, boat weight, speed, exhaust etc. He has done enough of these that with all variables known it will be right. Very happy with the results.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:39 AM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What I am saying is that some of us learn from our mistakes and admit it.
Dean explained that he had learned some stuff over the years and wanted to make things right.

My engine builder had a bad experience with Nickerson and balked at the fact that I would use him as my fuel expert. It turns out that the bad experience was due to the fact that a customer spec'd out a motor and wanted Dean to build a carb for that spec motor. Dean complies and builds the carb. Then the customer changes some of his parameters on the motor and the carb doesn't work well. So the engine builder and customer are not happy.
Now, it's Dean's fault?
Sometimes people don't devulge all the information.
Get the facts before making your decisions.
End of story.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never done business with Nickerson, but based on what I've heard and read, he'd be at the top of my list if I needed help with a carb problem. Don't know if it's true, but supposedly he didn't do a lot of Domonator work until relatively recently. Having rebuilt a few Holley's like everyone else, the thought of putting one, two or four in a box and shipping them anywhere just leaves me cold. Done right and not abused during shipping, it should be a case of adjusting the idle and maybe tweaking the accelerator pumps to give you sharp response with the weight of your particular boat. All bets are off though when folks start playing with them. Just my .02
Old 11-09-2004, 07:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

...ran a 30' Sutphen with MRD 598's (I think) and Nickerson Carbs. The thing ran like hell, once you got it started. No reflection on Nickerson or MRD, the owners tattered the whole set-up through attrition and poor maintenance. I would team up all three companies again, if I had the opportunity...
Old 11-09-2004, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Deans carb on my procharged 502 and it works great, no soot no starting problems it just runs! If a blow thru carb is not working right then be sure to check the tightness of the belt! if it slips then it goes rich and blubbery. I would reccommend his work and support. Greg
Old 11-09-2004, 11:05 PM
HeavyChevSS

Ratman,
Did you ever get a chance to call Ray?

Old 11-10-2004, 02:21 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

heavychevss, i went by ray's shop force ten marine. boy howdy what a s**t hole. he must think dirt like fine wine gets better with age... i'm suprised the health dept didn't close down his shop and he don't sell food. the filthiest shop i've very been in bar none.he's in the dark ages for sure never heard of cometic viton covered gaskets or many of the other cool high tech products now on the market. there was a guy leaving rays shop when i pulled up he had a 82 cig 38 wih nat 454's and trs. he said ray's work was ok but his rigging was pretty hack. i'm honestly afraid to let him do my motors. i think i'm gonna have randy at cobra tune them and set my carbs up. i asked for feedback on his work in a thread but no one left me any feed back. i searched for old threads about cobra but didn't find much. i'll try another thread asking about cobra's quality of workman ship and there engine longevity. thx
Old 11-10-2004, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can also recommend Chuck Nutten Carb Specialties in Rockwall, Tx (just outside Dallas). Very good on Dominators. Also manufactures Billet blocks- stronger but 30# lighter than other blocks. Cool stuff.

Quick Reply: feed back on dean nickerson's carb work

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.