Oil Temp Sender Positioning >

Oil Temp Sender Positioning

Notices

Oil Temp Sender Positioning

Old 11-07-2004, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Oil Temp Sender Positioning

And the end result: you hurt your Carillos feelings!
Old 11-07-2004, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JCPERF
And the end result: you hurt your Carillos feelings!
Yeah... and my wallet too!....... The best part is I discovered that the (as he describes himself) undisputed authority on offshore boats is a complete fraud........
Old 11-07-2004, 04:28 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There are alot of those in this industry.You wonder how they made it so far. It is the "Travel agent that has never been anywhere" syndrome.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with Reed, in the pan.
My Gen V Merc Mag 454 has a NPT bung on the port side of the oil pan.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RickR
I'm with Reed, in the pan.
My Gen V Merc Mag 454 has a NPT bung on the port side of the oil pan.
Absolutely!... measure that oil temp in the pan... and measure the pressure where it is the weakest... On generation 4 Blocks... that is on the front of the engine on the right side just above the water inlet. If you know you have decent pressure where it is the weakest... then you know it is better everywhere else.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Rick do you have a oil temp sender in that spot on the port side of the pan.I thought it might be a little to high there?
Old 11-08-2004, 04:41 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

In the boss right above the block oil filter location. The pan will be higher temps then this location. This is the temp as the oil enters the motor.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:22 AM
Registered

fastlane40
Yes I have the sender installed on the port side bung on the oil pan. I assume that is where the oil is the hottest (except for around the valve springs and piston bottoms).

I do have an oil temp issue with my new HP500 clone, so I am running Mobile 1 untill I can install a larger oil cooler this winter. Temp rises quickly at WOT, but seems to level off around 280
Old 11-08-2004, 10:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by RickR
fastlane40
Yes I have the sender installed on the port side bung on the oil pan. I assume that is where the oil is the hottest (except for around the valve springs and piston bottoms).

I do have an oil temp issue with my new HP500 clone, so I am running Mobile 1 untill I can install a larger oil cooler this winter. Temp rises quickly at WOT, but seems to level off around 280
280 isn't too bad... once you crest 300 your oil will break down. The best is around 200 to 220... The oil should get up close to or slightly over the boiling point of water... that way moisture will boil off of the oil and it won't get contaminated as quickly. Whatever you do... DO NOT over cool the oil... oil lubricates best when it is around 200 degrees.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Reed Jensen
Absolutely!... measure that oil temp in the pan... and measure the pressure where it is the weakest... On generation 4 Blocks... that is on the front of the engine on the right side just above the water inlet. If you know you have decent pressure where it is the weakest... then you know it is better everywhere else.
Where then should I install the oil pressure unit on a GEN 6 block? Same as the GEN 4?

Keeping the questions along the same line, should I pull and plug the oil bypass (both cooler and filter in the filter pad) or install the higher lb pressure bypass units? Am I to believe that the Merlin block has no bypass units in their block? Oil continuously flows thru the filter and cooler.

Quick Reply: Oil Temp Sender Positioning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.