Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up

Notices

Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up

Old 12-20-2004, 11:49 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up

Heres a pick of the oil bypass valve .I was told this is the 35 pound one.#25013759 for 3.21 each.

5-09 I pluged the holes,didnt use the valves
Attached Thumbnails Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-hustler-eng-campr-trailer-oil-bypass-031.jpg   Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-oil-pump-hexajust-033.jpg  

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 05-17-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:03 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Square decked it and it came up to 9.770 deck height. So the piston is going to be 10 out of the hole The ra was 50.. I talked to my budy at felpro and he sugested the MLS gaskets that will give me an extra 10.
Attached Thumbnails Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-resize-wizard-1.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 01-27-2005 at 11:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Lilib454 (07-01-2020)
Old 12-29-2004, 02:15 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Alright I got the oil pumps in and took them apart. the look better than the regular 77 series pumps.looks like a lot better pump. Just spinning it by hand even feel smother that the old style .

You can see where I smoothed out the oil passage on the rear main cap. Ran the sandpaper cone down the passage also.The new oil pump looks alittle smoother than the oil style should be ok .Mark at Precision told me I am making too much of a deal about the oil pump thing .Over kill I guess.cant hurt

Last pick your see the new body and the new style steel gears with the extended shafts.
Attached Thumbnails Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-oil-pump-hexajust-035.jpg   Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-oil-pump-hexajust-036.jpg   Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-oil-pump-hexajust-034.jpg  

Old 12-29-2004, 02:31 AM
Rob
VIP Member

The new pump has metric Allen head bolts ,the have teeth under the head also. they did not have locktite on them from Melling.The new style pump comes with a hex style oil pump shaft , the collar is made into the shaft unlike the Moroso /Arp had a pin in it.The top cap has dowel pins in it also.the machining in the body looks better than the old style.I did see some casting flash ,Ill try and remove some

On the cap I took the screw in plug out with the spring and valve. it comes with the purple high pres in it . the other was in the box. the cap does need some debering.

My luck it will take a sh i t on me with me going to all this trouble
Attached Thumbnails Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-oil-pump-hexajust-026.jpg   Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-oil-pump-hexajust-021.jpg   Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-oil-pump-hexajust-037.jpg  

Old 12-29-2004, 02:43 AM
Rob
VIP Member

I bought the Moroso oil pump pick up for a 8 inch pan ,Looks like it going to work . The oil Keith E pick up was welded with about a 3/8 wide bead .I mocked them up the old one on one motor and the new on on the other. I noticed the old pick up was welded crooked Not bad thought . the old and new measure the same 7 11/16. the Keith E pan is 8 and had a slight v shape in the bottom ,This measurement is with out the one piece oil pan gasket . The gasket is .250 and a 1/16 and the should be ok . this is the same measurements as the it was before I tore it down.

Test fit the oil pan and fits around the Moroso Pick up. Picks show its real close to the same position . I still like the Keith E better but .He don't make them no more.
Attached Thumbnails Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-oil-pump-hexajust-008.jpg   Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-oil-pump-hexajust-005.jpg   Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-oil-pump-hexajust-015.jpg  

Old 12-29-2004, 02:45 AM
Rob
VIP Member

note
Attached Thumbnails Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-oil-pump-hexajust-016.jpg   Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-oil-pump-hexajust-012.jpg   Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-oil-pump-hexajust-025.jpg  

Old 12-29-2004, 03:14 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Here I have been playing in the combustion chambers , deshrouding ,smoothing out the factory machining,CC ing them,polishing.just making them maybe flow alittle better and no hot spots for detonation I did not want to move the wall back or moving to much metal so I would not have to cut the heads so much to get the cc,s back up. No machine work has been done yet ,Just magnfluxing . So after Marks special valve job there probably want be much blending to do .it has 4 extra radius in the cutters: for the exhaustD I have bought every thing new for them .Also went up to the 1.900 inconel for the blower.

I used some old spark plugs to cover the threads and make sure I don't cut to much off. making the thread of spark plug stick out in the chamber.detonation . I had some old inconel valves from the old Scarab blower motors , I cut them down to use when grinding on the chambers . so not to hit the seats and to get close.For grinding the inconel is harder and doesn't wear down as fast . they lasted thru all 16 chambers . they did get a little thin on the last set .

The last pick the marking shows its not flat.We will resurface all of them .Felpro said to a 50 ra for there new metal head gaskets.
Attached Thumbnails Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-combustion-cambrs010.jpg   Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-cobustion-chamber003.jpg   Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-engine-xmas-shuckers-011.jpg  

Old 12-29-2004, 03:27 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Started on the exhaust tonight. tapered the guild boss some . The head bolt shoulder[seat] protrudes in the the runner . I smoothed it some , but someone borrowed my finger style mic,s so I could not measures how thin it was. Just did a quickie and polished it hoping for some smother flow .

I hate those casting lines
Attached Thumbnails Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-oil-pump-hexajust-039.jpg   Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-oil-pump-hexajust-039.jpg  
Old 01-12-2005, 03:10 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tomcat,

You need to once again do some research . Your point that nobody wants to become experts on failure? As a mfg. of high performance products, we have to test everything to and beyond the failure point in order to make something better. How in the world do you know what a safety margin is if you haven't gotten to failure? You'll be happy to know that we spend a tremendous amount of time and money to produce some of the most reliable SC systems around.

Some thoughts for you:
A. If you think port injection = perfect distribution, and big IC=reliability, I'm glad your my competition. Those damn OEM guys must be retarded to purchase those darn expensive air/fuel mick jiggers and those odd sensors that actually measure cylinder pressure, what a waste of $$.

B. Hurting the two back pistons is because of air charge temp increase? Are you kidding me? Is that some type of knock towards our intercoolers? How about water flow to the back cylinders? What was water psi at the time of the failure? What was psi during normal operation? When measured with AVL cylinder pressure transducers, cylinders 3,4,5,6 have the most pressure and the hottest cylinder temps. When 7,8 fail, it's almost always related to water. But why would you know that, it didn't have the air coil from Ceasars Palace on top of the engine so it must be hot air!

The fact that your using an aluminum intercooler core for marine use is something you should maybe worry about instead of posting false information that has no merit. Maybe, since you've got the port injection and big IC thing figured out, you might have that corrosion and biofouling problem handled as well! I know Mercury Racing, Cummins, Catepillar, Detroit and us dummies love to waste money for cupronickel, but in our own madness, were giving the consumers a more reliable package. No matter what current coating you treat aluminum with, it will corrode and biofoul, something cupronickel does not. Also, just in case you didn't know, Cupronickel has over a 600Deg higher melting point than aluminum, adding to it's ability to live under the most extreme conditions and have less fatigue under constant varied temperatures and thermal expansion, vibration and varying pressure. Strapping a charge air cooler the size of Maine does not equal reliability. Please get your facts straghit when refering to our product.

Linster, any water that keeps coming over the transom and to the motor is bad news, for the SC but mainly the ignition. The distributor and coil do not react well to large amounts of water. The Nordic has a very low profile design and I could see this as a problem. Certainly improving the seal around the hatch and moving vents to the sides vs. the rear would help.

Mcollinstr,
The screw compressor compress's air to a minimum charge of 1.35 to 1 before it enter the intake. An "aftercooler" is certainly not required, but adds to the reliability of the packages. The cooling effect does not reduce all the heat, but certainly a large majority so an aftercooler can still remove additional heat. Ask anybody who has run our system, after a long run, there is always tremendous condensation on the compressor. We've done extensive research in the automotive industry in order to meet SULEV (Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicles) which the marine industry have not even touched the surface of. While doing work for Toyota, we injecting X% of fuel through their SC package and reduce the emissions (NOx) over 30% which is direct effect of temp.

Thanks,
Dustin
Old 01-12-2005, 04:27 PM
Rob
VIP Member

All the post after Dustins today are missing
Attached Thumbnails Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up-bypass-004.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 01-12-2005 at 07:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Hustler 500efi engine tear down & Build Up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.