Land & Sea extension >

Land & Sea extension

Notices

Land & Sea extension

Old 11-22-2004, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Land & Sea extension

Does anyone have experience with the Land & Sea extension. I was thinking of an IMCO or Stellings extension but the Land & Sea looks to have a few advantages for me. My 1989 24 Daytona has the prop 5-1/2 "inches below the hull and needs alot of trim to hit top speed. It looks like the Land & Sea will give the leverage I need to trim and additionally pick the prop up like a shorty gearbox.

Do you need hydraulic stearing with these?
Old 11-22-2004, 02:55 PM
Registered

Default Re: Land & Sea extension

I would not recommend the Stern Jack if that is what you are asking about. I had one put on a boat once, 24' that used to need full trim as well. Well, I probably picked up 1 mph, and the boat did handle better at top speed, which was low-mid 60's. But for the $$ invested, probably could have picked up the MPH and handling just by experimenting more with props at a fraction of the cost. Depending on how fast and what drive you have, you may need to change your gimbal ring for safety. If you go over 70, probably should have hydralic steering anyways. However, to install the Stern Jack does not physically require you to change any steering parts. You do have to take your trim pistons off, cut off the ends, and weld on the extensions supplied in the kit.

Some people may have experienced different results than I did as every boat is different. I just think it was a waste of money in my case for the results produced. Oh their Torque-Shift prop is a piece of crap too.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:03 PM
Registered

I think Land & Sea is the wholesale division of West Marine.

If so they don't manufactue anything--they simply supply "stuff" primarily to dealers associated with Brunswick priducts--
Old 11-22-2004, 05:47 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Poorsche
I think Land & Sea is the wholesale division of West Marine.

If so they don't manufactue anything--they simply supply "stuff" primarily to dealers associated with Brunswick priducts--
No - its a small company in my neck of the woods, its all made here.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:26 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

i have on on my boat. Seems to handle better, pickup is better top speed is a little better. BUT steering is kinda "ehhh" i only got out to test it twice this summer afte ri sinstalle dit BUT the extra 12" setback andmakign eth drive longer seems liek it might be alittle much for the standard bravo power steering. certianly seems to take more effort to turn it. Plus external steering might be difficult to ad on with it. you;d proly have to have custom brackets machined and added onto the box itself.

If you can buy one cheap i'd say go for it. I gotmine for $500 used her eon OSO. It needed the special shift cable (they RAPE you on it, $160 for a shiftcable, same as stock just 12" longer and they are the only ones who make it)

Its also teh only setback box you can install and later remove with out A. removing yoru engine B. removing your transom assemblie from your transom and C. someyou might even have to remoutn and realight your engine (which havign done it once is a MAJOR pain in the ass)