Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Camshaft Timing (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/90980-camshaft-timing.html)

StrikinLightnin 11-23-2004 10:41 AM

Camshaft Timing

I'm going to go with a Crane 741 camshaft in my 540 stroker motor.
The engine will be at 9.4:1 with Brodix 2Plus CNC heads with 950HP Holley.
Also CMI,MSD,JE , BLA BA D BLA BLA BLA,,,,,,,,,,,, :D

With a Cloyes adjustable timing chain at what position would be recommendable
to install the camshaft??

rmbuilder 11-23-2004 11:09 AM

Re: Camshaft Timing

Strikin,
That cam is ground with 5* advance. I would install it straight up on a 107*ICL.
Bob

US1 Fountain 11-23-2004 04:47 PM

I put mine in straight up because the general census was that in a pleasure boat, installing adv. or retarted 3deg will almost never be noticable, unlike a drag car.

Thoughts?

mcollinstn 11-23-2004 10:43 PM

Course it's noticeable.

But the cam is already ground on 107 ICL. If you have a properly indexed crank sprocket, a ZERO offset timing set "should" put you where you want to be.
I advise checking with a degree wheel though.

rssteiny 06-11-2012 05:09 PM

Old thread but i also have 741 crane cams mine are advanced 1 notch Where would they make the best HP.

rssteiny 06-12-2012 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by rssteiny (Post 3707151)
Old thread but i also have 741 crane cams mine are advanced 1 notch Where would they make the best HP.

Also Ignition timing set at 36 @ 3000

mcollinstn 06-13-2012 02:18 PM

When you say they are advanced one notch, do you mean they are one notch MORE than the way they are ground, or do you mean one notch past the 112 deg separation when measured on a degree wheel with dial indicator?

Those cams COME 5 degrees advanced, so when you use a standard no-offset timing chain set, if the crank snout is properly keyed, then the cam will be 5 degrees advanced.

If you are one notch advanced PAST the already-ground advance, then you are trading max hp for a little more bottom end.

When you play with cam timing, you are balancing exhaust reversion against how you tilt the torque curve.

I would guess that your best "safe" max hp setting on an HP500 would be 4 degrees advanced - which is 1 degree LESS than straight up per the marks.

MC

rssteiny 06-13-2012 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by mcollinstn (Post 3708755)
When you say they are advanced one notch, do you mean they are one notch MORE than the way they are ground, or do you mean one notch past the 112 deg separation when measured on a degree wheel with dial indicator?

Those cams COME 5 degrees advanced, so when you use a standard no-offset timing chain set, if the crank snout is properly keyed, then the cam will be 5 degrees advanced.

If you are one notch advanced PAST the already-ground advance, then you are trading max hp for a little more bottom end.

When you play with cam timing, you are balancing exhaust reversion against how you tilt the torque curve.

I would guess that your best "safe" max hp setting on an HP500 would be 4 degrees advanced - which is 1 degree LESS than straight up per the marks.

MC

My Timing gears are the adjustable ones i have it turned 1 notch advanced from straigrt up 4degrees i beleive. also have my timing at 37 @ 3000 is that to much timing.

Mr Maine 06-13-2012 03:02 PM

"I would guess that your best "safe" max hp setting on an HP500 would be 4 degrees advanced - which is 1 degree LESS than straight up per the marks. "

mcollinstn is saying that 4 degrees is best. If your notches are in 4 degree increments then you want to set it at 0. This will give you the 5 degree advance that is ground in, and is as close as you can get to his recomended 4 degrees. You are running 9 degrees and are probably giving up some top end horse power for bottom end power.

rssteiny 06-13-2012 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by mr maine (Post 3708788)
"i would guess that your best "safe" max hp setting on an hp500 would be 4 degrees advanced - which is 1 degree less than straight up per the marks. "

mcollinstn is saying that 4 degrees is best. If your notches are in 4 degree increments then you want to set it at 0. This will give you the 5 degree advance that is ground in, and is as close as you can get to his recomended 4 degrees. You are running 9 degrees and are probably giving up some top end horse power for bottom end power.

what setting would be more pron to reversion.