Notices

New Hull Manufacturing Technique

Old 12-04-2004, 05:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New Hull Manufacturing Technique

Well I guess I stand corrected.

How about every day pleasure boat mfgs?

I changed the title of the thread to reflect bieng a dumbass. I will stick to building engines.

Last edited by Infomaniac; 12-04-2004 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:25 PM
Registered

is this the same thing as vacum bagged
Old 12-04-2004, 10:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mikes280
is this the same thing as vacum bagged
Thanks for asking Mike. This is one step further than just vacuum bagging.

The resin is not added until under vacuum is the major difference. Along with the cloth and core being proprietary.

If you watch the infusion video Wes lets it slip that only 25 gallons of resin was used in the top cap. And this is a 27' boat
Old 12-05-2004, 08:26 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

this sounds an awful lot like what sonic is using. claims to have lighten the hulls up significantly while at the same time strengthening them.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by augie58
this sounds an awful lot like what sonic is using. claims to have lighten the hulls up significantly while at the same time strengthening them.
Looks like they have a similar process. Using a balsa core. Sonic is a very well constructed boat.

I finally paid enough attention to Trident's method to notice what is so unique. They are doing this method over a sophisticated gel coat scheme. Which according to them is an industry first.

I was mistaken about the resin infusion itself being a first. But that process is very limited in the marine industry. And for sure a first in a deck boat.

The Trident hull is one of a kind also and they have patented it as a tri hydro design
Old 12-05-2004, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Genmar's VEC infusion process http://www.genmar.com/page.cfm?id=63

They make Four Winns, Glastron, Hydra Sports and others.

Ron
Old 12-05-2004, 09:46 AM
Registered

Thanks Ron

This has been an educaton for me. That looks like a really cool high tech process.

Maybe I should have said Trident has a unique process as I have now learned a few others have similar processes. Resin infusion over sophisticated gel coat is supposed to be a first in the industry.

The Trident hull is one of a kind and they have patented it as a tri hydro design.

Looks like a cat? NO CAT INSURANCE.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:18 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: New Hull Manufacturing Technique

First post here everyone... go easy on me.

This is our boat the Trident Revolution we are talking about here. Lots of new stuff went in, lots of stuff that has been done before.

Without my industry almanac and history book of everything that has ever been done in the industry worldwide in front of me... we can state plainly what happened last week.

A) we used a resin infusion process. This has been used in many capacities in the aerospace and high end yacht building segments of manufacturing to extreme success. There are companies such as Hinkley using it currently as well (I actually got to check out the first Hinckley picnic boat they did with this process the other day). It is not new or innovative to the world... it has been done. I am sure there is others.

B) We are what appears to be the first company to do it over complex gelcoat graphics though.

C) Our linear foam core was both custom made and manufactured by SP Systems for our specifications and dimensions. This is not an off the shelf thickness of foam, nor an off the shelf perforation/VIC grooving pattern. It was done to reduce/eliminate the pattern transfer on the outside of the gelcoat.

D) Vectorply built us our quad axial laminate cloth for our specifications. Others might be using something similar, but my impression from Vectorply was that this was being sewn for us specifically due to our high volume of bias unidirectional glass layers. We have altered the layup slightly to include more "DB" or double bias material without the LT material (0-90 degree laminates).

E) We are totally stoked! The entire structural laminate section of our hull and deck took only 60 gallons of resin or so, and quite a bit of that was removed with the peel ply and flow media layer removal.

This has been the end of a very long process for me and the team at Trident, and we will be very busy building this boat for a while, but I wanted to come on here and thank everyone for the support, and answer a few of the questions.

See you on the water!

Wes
Old 10-06-2014, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 544 Likes on 330 Posts

What is the price difference, in reference to manufacturing costs, between vacuum bagging and vacuum infusion?
Old 10-06-2014, 04:09 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

NOLI call Airtech - advance materials group. 714-899-8100 and www.airtechonline.com

I just talked to these guys in person about all of this as I'm trying to help out a builder who is going to vacuum bagging for manufacturing his boat line.

I will post more info of their websites and they told me they have a ton of videos to view. I have to pull their business card out and other materials they gave me for that info. I have been to lazy to have unpacked as of yet.

Last edited by BUP; 10-06-2014 at 04:14 PM.