Notices

Psi

Old 12-10-2004, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Psi

i'm going to winterize and pump antifreeze into the water flush system which hooks to a typical garden hose. I'm going to run a closed system in which I need a water pump to pump the antifreeze into the flush-throught the engine and out the exhaust around and around until engine comes up to temp. My quesiton is what water pump should I use to give sufficient PSI of antifreeze to the engine. Please advise. I have 1988 454's and trs. Thanks
Old 12-10-2004, 10:47 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Psi

Pressure is not critical, volume is. If you need to pump up from a catch basin to the flush hose just make sure you have as big a volume pump as you can get. You may also be able to get the raw water pump to suck coolant right out of the basin as long as you are feeding through a closed flush system. My Formula will suck a 5 gallon jug of antifreeze dry in about a minute at idle. Why can't you run on a hose to get temp up and then switch to a jug of antifreeze?
Old 12-10-2004, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a 1000 gallon bilge pump along with this system to winterwize. Works good for me.
Attached Thumbnails Psi-dsc00009.jpg  
Old 12-11-2004, 06:25 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The PVC pipe is for a return of the exhaust water to the tub?
Intresting, I've used a similar home made setup, but with out the platic pipes.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:37 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by gripit
i'm going to winterize and pump antifreeze into the water flush system which hooks to a typical garden hose. I'm going to run a closed system in which I need a water pump to pump the antifreeze into the flush-throught the engine and out the exhaust around and around until engine comes up to temp. My quesiton is what water pump should I use to give sufficient PSI of antifreeze to the engine. Please advise. I have 1988 454's and trs. Thanks
Evan,
There is an easier way.
Remove the thermostats and drain the blocks. Go to Boat US or any marine store and buy a 5 gallon flush jug. Fill it with "cherry juice" anti-freeze and fire up the engines. If you are going to use the hose attachment on the hull, block off the water intake on the drive with duct tape, no pump is needed. I always use ears on the drives and set the jug on the swim platform. After about 3-4 gallons are in the block, its will start coming out of the exhaust. Fog the chit out of the engine and you are done. I always take the thermostat housing back off and fill the rest of the way with cherry juice and replace the gasket. Done until spring.

Craig
Old 12-11-2004, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I connect the water hose to the sea strainer intake assembly, turn on the water, start the engine, close the valve on the strainer to stop the water from the hose, pour 7 gallons of red pop into the strainer as fast as it can be poured, pull the lanyard to the kill switch and presto the block is done.

I then disconnect the drain for the chiller, disconnect the intake line from the chiler and pour red pop in the drain until it is pouring out the back. One gallon usually does it. because it all drains back.

You can remove your thermostat and you do not have to wait for the engine to heat.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

what is a chiler?