smallblock power >

smallblock power

Notices

smallblock power

Old 12-13-2004, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smallblock power

Hi,newbie here,Wife gave me $5,000 to buy a boat.Picked up a 1989 baja 220 sport at an auction in real good shape for $3000,350 magnum/alpha1/quicksilver 21 ss prop.
what would be the best performance mods that I could do with the remaining $2000?
I am capable of doing the work myself,just want to know what would give me the best bang for my dollar.

Thanks,
Old 12-13-2004, 11:50 AM
Registered

Default Re: smallblock power

Sorry, bad news. You can probably do quite a few SBC mods for $2K, but anything that would considerably increase top end would kill the alpha drive. Merc put out a 330hp 454/alpha package that had a habit of grenading.
My $0.02
Keep the 2K for gas, maintenence, repairs, booze, etc and enjoy the boat. Spend the time you would have taken building up the engine and use it to learn to maintain the boat, engine, drive you have.
Gary
Old 12-13-2004, 11:53 AM
chriscraft240

Ditto

Old 12-13-2004, 11:57 AM
Registered

If you just bought the boat, wait.

When you splash that puppy and get to know it a little you will find out what to spend the 2k on.

Nickel and dime stuff can eat 2k in a hurry.

Batteries
Bellows
Bilge pump
trim pump
trim rams
carb work
leaky hatch
bad transducer
plug wires
leaky cover
hub/spline
solenoids

You know what I mean. Every boat I ever bought needed more than I thought at first.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Gary Anderson
Keep the 2K for gas, maintenence, repairs, booze, etc and enjoy the boat. Spend the time you would have taken building up the engine and use it to learn to maintain the boat, engine, drive you have.
Gary
Dam, by the time I was done typing.....
Old 12-13-2004, 12:15 PM
Registered

Yeah, I knew the alpha1 had issues,but for the price(and condition) I couldn't pass it up.I'll stick to my original plan on installing a bigger cam(not too big) to get the "lope" that I love from a sbc
Thanks For all the replies,you guys are top notch
Old 12-13-2004, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blkhorse
Yeah, I knew the alpha1 had issues,but for the price(and condition) I couldn't pass it up.I'll stick to my original plan on installing a bigger cam(not too big) to get the "lope" that I love from a sbc
Thanks For all the replies,you guys are top notch
be careful there, too much lope = reversion = spend 2k to find a new engine
Old 12-13-2004, 12:35 PM
Registered

I am an ase mechanic,have built many a blown engines for tractor pulling and one for a jet boat,not experienced in building a marine engine which I know is a totaly different area.
If I got a cam in the 114lsa area what kind of duration could I go with ?
Old 12-13-2004, 12:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by blkhorse
I am an ase mechanic,have built many a blown engines for tractor pulling and one for a jet boat,not experienced in building a marine engine which I know is a totaly different area.
If I got a cam in the 114lsa area what kind of duration could I go with ?
Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm by no means anywhere near an ASE tech, but being one, would it really make sense to go to the trouble of opening it up just to throw in in a cam and nothing else, just for the "sound"? Even in a car just changing a cam for the sake of a "lopey" idle wouldn't make much sense if you really want the best performance.

If you want to improve sound for "sound" sake, if it has thru hull exhaust why not just spend the money on some decent exhaust to change the sound?
Old 12-13-2004, 01:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SeaRay Jim
Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm by no means anywhere near an ASE tech, but being one, would it really make sense to go to the trouble of opening it up just to throw in in a cam and nothing else, just for the "sound"? Even in a car just changing a cam for the sake of a "lopey" idle wouldn't make much sense if you really want the best performance.

If you want to improve sound for "sound" sake, if it has thru hull exhaust why not just spend the money on some decent exhaust to change the sound?

I am pulling the motor and tearing apart to freshen the motor and know exactly what I have,just wanted to add a little power and have the "sound". was thinking of the comp cam xm262h would this put me on the "edge" with the alpha1?. the exhaust is through the hull above water level

Quick Reply: smallblock power

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.