Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Do I need external steering?  If so what kind? >

Do I need external steering? If so what kind?

Notices

Do I need external steering? If so what kind?

Old 12-16-2004, 10:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts
Default Re: Do I need external steering? If so what kind?

I put twin ram external on my 2000 baja 272 myself,other than drilling 4 holes thru transom and drilling two hole under cap on outdrive it wasn't that hard. Took about 8 hours in driveway. Upgraded it to helm last spring,6 more hours work but had to wait 2 wks to have a custom bezel spun up because hole in helm was bigger than parts from imco and i wanted it done right. I can now run 85 pretty straight and somewhat under control. My boat felt fine when it only went 62 stock BUT was terrible out of control at 75-80 mph once you were no longer accellerating(chine walked out of control).A nose cone doubles the effect of having slop in cable steering and my boat will only go past 75 if trimmed WAY up which also added to loss of control. The twin ram external took 75 % of it away,going full to the helm took most of rest away. If your boat is squirelly at all right now at 75mph i would just find best deal on complete system to helm and do it yourself. If you put your own blower on i'm sure your accustomed already to standing on your head in bilge ,Smitty

Last edited by articfriends; 12-16-2004 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boatally Insane
Call Brian Alfrey 513-407-0215 at XS performance. Dual ram full hydraulic for $2650.00 is the best "bang for the buck" i've found...

Doug Schiller
Allan4 sells those, I think he has them cheaper.

www.hilsingermotorsports.com
Old 12-16-2004, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another happy customer
Attached Thumbnails Do I need external steering?  If so what kind?-hyd-steering-002.jpg  
Old 12-16-2004, 05:22 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

i'm sure your accustomed already to standing on your head in bilge ,Smitty[/QUOTE]
I thought I was the only person who laid over the back seat upside down until all the blood rushes to my head!!!!
I'm not really scared of the install as long as all the parts come with the kit and it has decent directions. I think the most imtimidating thing is knowing where to drill the holes in the transom. As long as they give good directions and measurements it shouldn't be a problem I guess.
The boat has never chine walked with a bravo 1 prop, the only time it did was with a Hydromotive 27 pitch, I was scared to take it above 70. It felt like my steering wheel was loose and I had no control. I also tried a Mirage but I could hardly get on plane, any rpm at all and it would just spin out.
I'll give the poeple that were recommended a call and feel them out. A couple of bucks difference doesn't matter as much as feeling like I'm not getting robbed!!! You know how boat shops are...... I love the work AZSM did but even there customer service sucks. My boat sat outside in the rain and dust uncovered for three weeks. I still haven't gotten the interior back to the condition it was originally i, and I still dont have a real aircleaner that fits in between the headers and the intake. they said they had never installed a Vortech on a boat with Lightning headers and didn't realize just how big they really are. So I've got some jerry rigged screen bolted to the intake on the blower. If I never have to take it in to a shop again it will be too soon.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:34 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperBaja
Allan4 sells those, I think he has them cheaper.

www.hilsingermotorsports.com
Allan4 sells them for less than what Brian, the man who makes them, does?
Old 12-16-2004, 05:48 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

I see nobody recommended IMCO. I there something wrong with there system?
Old 12-16-2004, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

I got a price on an Imco system from a local dealer and it was $2500.00 for a single ram full hydraulic system, the XS system is about the same price for dual ram...

Doug
Old 12-17-2004, 10:02 AM
Registered

When I first started looking for hyd. steering for my Corsa quality was my main concern and after comparing various other brands I went with Brian @ XS. He is a perfectionest in building these sytems and there are no corners cut. The price for these systems just makes deal that much better.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Badkachina, I sell the Warlock Performance full systems with helm. Call or email for a price. These things are pretty easy to install. Warlock makes some of the nicest systems out there.

Finn,
[email protected]
Old 12-17-2004, 12:00 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BADKACHINA
what's involved on the installation? Is it something a normal person can do?

Normal people own boats

Quick Reply: Do I need external steering? If so what kind?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.