Suggest a GPS >

Suggest a GPS

Notices

Suggest a GPS

Old 01-06-2005, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Suggest a GPS

Agree C-Map is good and the first Bluecharts in my area was terrible!!! The newer versions are much better and one other feature that I like with the Garmin is the easy way to upgrade plotter software(not the bluechart). Just download from the web to a card and then plug it in, new versions of the software made a huge difference to map/chart presntation as well. Take a good look before you pay and remember you need a fast plotter in a fast boat.....
Old 01-06-2005, 05:02 PM
Registered

I just recieved my Garmin 182c in the mail today. Bought it at the NY Boat show for $678.00 at the West Marine Booth. Reg price is $999.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd suggest you also get a regulater 12V power supply so you can experiment with setup and all the other setting at home before you go to boat. They all have more options than imaginable and each option you select at setup affects something else. Another good use of the power supply is learning how to use the most important functions and find out which displays mean the most yo you.

Processor speed/update speed are critical. Find out that data and see it prior to purchase. On my first one I had sometimes passed a marker before the disply refreshed--especially in Heads Up mode. I'm told North Up is fastest refresh on all of them---

Finally--C-Map is top notch. They have a great exchange, update and rental program-- http://www.c-map.com/index2.html

Poorsche
Old 01-06-2005, 06:33 PM
Registered

CUSTOMS:

1. You will need to get your customs stiker from custome. $25.00

2. As mentioned before food etc going to the Bahamas is a NO NO!

3. Check with your insurance carrier.

4. Coming back is a "B". You have to schedule your return with customs.

5. The Bahamas also has instituted a entry fee for boats per year whcih I beleive is as high as $400.00.

I have never boated over but I fly my plane over there once a year on an average. Several times both the Bahamian customs and US customs have been nightmares. They took all the floor and hatch panels off the plane including the upper and lower cowlings. Guess who had to put them all back on on a 100 degree day at Ft Lauderdale exec airport. I was drenched and pixxed. They took my bags and gals bags and DUMPED them on the floor and KICKED eveything around with heir feet. I mean Kicked!!!

Again, many times have been easy and pleasant.

DO NOT use your cell phone in their presance or office.

The best customs is Key West. Flying back from the Caymans after flying over Cuba I always clear customs in KW. Great bunch of professionals.

When I bought my Ferrari they gave me a new Ferrari watch. I drove the car to the airport, they let me place it in a hanger. I had the watch in it's case packed in my carry on style bag. The box this watch came in was huge with 2-3 large manuals. When I came back these guys were enthralled with the BOX and manuals. They must have tapped and inspected that box for 10 minutes. One guy when he first opened it up yelled " Hey guys, come look at the instruction books for this watch". Kept three guys entertained for a while on our tax dollars. I explained to them the origin of the watch they smiled commented on the box and manuals and let me go. A $4,000 watch! Never looked at it.