Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How do you change drive rotation on Bravos? >

How do you change drive rotation on Bravos?

Notices

How do you change drive rotation on Bravos?

Old 12-27-2001, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How do you change drive rotation on Bravos?

I've been reading another thread and now I have questions. How do I change my rotation on twin Bravos from inward to outward? Do I swap drives? Do I swap props then change the shift linkage? If so, how? Help, please!
Old 12-27-2001, 09:56 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
You swap props and change the shift linkage. You can do that up at the controls. If you want to just test the prop swap then just swap the props and then work the shift levers in revers. This way if you swap back again it is eaier. If you like the swap then you can flip them up at the control. The Bravo is the ONLY drive that youc an do that with. Alpha's and TRS drives you have to swap the drive.

Jon
Old 12-27-2001, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The concern is with spinning in- when turning, the outside will have a tendency to hook and be less forgiving at the limit/edge. Spinning out will have a tendency to spin out and slide being more forgiving. Going straight you will see a difference in how the boat rides- bow lift/stern lift.
Old 12-27-2001, 10:16 AM
Registered

Live and learn I guess. I already swapped the drives, but apparently all I really did was swap the props with the drives still attached. I've got a Gaffrig 4-lever set-up. Is it pretty obvious how to change the linkage at the controls?
Old 12-27-2001, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is no problem to do. My controls were installed angle back instead of forward. My X-mechanic said they would hit the dash if installed angle forward. Well this was just another lie from Dale @ Predator Marine in NJ. My buddies and I switched it around but it was a pain in the a$$, took about 1 1/2 hr but I also have the trim in the handle and had to take the whole assembly apart to get the handle with the switch on the inside.
Old 12-27-2001, 07:39 PM
Registered

When you say switch the cables at the control, does that mean at the shift plate on the engine or actually at the helm station controls?

BT
Old 12-27-2001, 08:13 PM
Registered

Cool

The easiest place to change the linkage is at the engine end. The helm station is ususally a pain to work in bacause of the space constraints.
Old 12-27-2001, 08:23 PM
Registered

Cool

If you are doing this type of work I would recommend getting the shop manuals for the Bravo dirves. Most owners manuals have a section at the back to order them. If you cannot find it, go to a Mrec. dealer and they can sell you a set. They may not want to, but they are required to.

Its not quite as simple as just switching the cable direction. You want to make sure they are adjusted correctly or you may cause damage to the cone clucth, clutch teeth, drive gear or shift collar in the drive. You can cause the sift fork to keep pressure on the shift collar after the unit is in gear, or cause the collar to not fully engage the clutch teeth on the drive gear. Its not a difficult thing to do, but knowing how they should be adjusted is important.

I bought a set of manuals back in 98' and I think they were around $150.00 for engine and drive. Its cheap and gives you the info to do a lot of things like we're discussing without paying a mechanic.

I'm an engineer and get off on this sort of thing. Sorry if I've stepped on anyone's toe's with the mechanic comment
Old 01-11-2002, 07:28 PM
HARRY

Unhappy

Mechanics have feelings too, ya know...

Old 01-11-2002, 10:07 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I changed my cables at the controls up front and checked the adjustment in the back and found I needed to make adjustments to the shift plate at the back. I believe the Mercury Bravo outdrive manual has the instructions and this manaul is $35 from BAM.

Quick Reply: How do you change drive rotation on Bravos?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.