wet sanding / polishing ?? >

wet sanding / polishing ??

Notices

wet sanding / polishing ??

Old 01-26-2005, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wet sanding / polishing ??

Can someone direct me to information on how to wet sand and polish fiberglass. I am looking for the process, products and tools. Thanks John
Old 01-26-2005, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Re: wet sanding / polishing ??

Double Action palm sander.
wet/dry compatible stick-on sanding pads.
Compressor.
At leat 5 feet of very flexible (flimsy) air line - stiff stuff can run from the compressor to the last five feet.

Start with 600 or 800, depending on what kind of trouble you are sanding thru.
Wet the surface, wet the sanding pad. Sand with medium speed, very light pressure. Frequently dip in water to keep chunks of dust from "bonding together".

1000 then 1500 paper. Now polish with a speedbuffer and light polishing compound.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:07 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

experiment on an unnoticable area. Sanding scratches are hard to remove if you don't know what you are doing.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:21 PM
Registered

Wanting to go a little faster I’m trying to clean up a poorly done anti fouling paint job on the bottom of my 34 Scarab. It’s been there since before I bought the boat and am wondering what type of speed increase I can expect. Any ideas?

To your question - I had to scrape the bottom paint off mine, then sanded with 600, then 1500, and then I am polishing it with Flitz and then Meguiars color restore and then Meguiars wax. It’s working very well so far and looks great. It’s not hard to do but once you get started you’ll realize how big a job you’ve tackled.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:52 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by john.sblendorio
Can someone direct me to information on how to wet sand and polish fiberglass. I am looking for the process, products and tools. Thanks John
First find a reputable marina that can do that type of work. Reach into your back pocket. Pull out your check book. Start excercising your wrist in the pattern of the name of the marina. Go home. Spend a week complaining about all the money that just cost you. Go boating.
As bad as that sounds, it's not as bad as you'll feel after doing the job yourself!!!
Actually, I did a 35 ft cruiser several years ago. It turned out great but OMG!. As mcollinstn said, work with alot of water, and in several steps until finished.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got 8 mph when I removed it from mine
Old 01-28-2005, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just have used 3M Perfect-it (white cap/the most powerful), then use the one with black cap, and then polish and was. You will be impressed of how effective this is. Sanding make an enormous job, and I bet that you will regret.... A true hell of a job and difficult to do all the surfaces shining the same. But sanding will make the best result if you do the rubbing well.

Good Luck!
Old 01-29-2005, 08:39 AM
Registered

I am only working with a small area. I want to remove the "fountain" logo that was painted above the rub rail. I was thinking that I could sand it off so that I can mount the chrome plaques.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:49 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by john.sblendorio
I am only working with a small area. I want to remove the "fountain" logo that was painted above the rub rail. I was thinking that I could sand it off so that I can mount the chrome plaques.
Once you polish/ sand the small area it will look substantially different than the rest of the boat. Then you will feel you must do the rest of the boat. Been there, done that.....
Old 01-29-2005, 09:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by t500hps
Once you polish/ sand the small area it will look substantially different than the rest of the boat. Then you will feel you must do the rest of the boat. Been there, done that.....
Ain't that the friggin truth.......

Quick Reply: wet sanding / polishing ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.