Notices
View Poll Results: Best brand GPS for accuracy and digital or analog?
Livorsi digital
9.52%
Livorsi analog-needle
28.57%
Gaffrig digital
9.52%
Gaffrig analog-needle
14.29%
Nordskog digital
19.05%
Nordskog analog-needle
0%
Other?
23.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

GPS survey

Old 02-08-2005, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: GPS survey

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
First of all, you messed us up with your original post asking for a GPS instead of a GPS Speedometer. Big difference.

I have not seen a digital GPS Speedometer on any boats I've surveyed, but I have seen the Gaffrig and Livorsi Analog units and the owners seem to like them and I found them easy to read on the sea trial. Have yet to see the Nordskog unit.
Sorry about the confusion Cozzi, I wasn't thinking clearly...

Hopefully, I cleared the air on what I'm after. It looks like a pretty tight race thus far...

Thanks
Old 02-08-2005, 10:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by wantsa311
I noticed the Garmin wasn't on your poll. I've got one and I love it.
I'm familiar with Garmin as a hand held unit, since I have one, but I've never seen a round dash mounted one...
Old 02-08-2005, 10:48 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Re: GPS survey

Originally Posted by Harper220
I'm familiar with Garmin as a hand held unit, since I have one, but I've never seen a round dash mounted one...

I don't think Garmin makes a round one, but I'll check at the Miami Boat Show at their booth.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
I don't think Garmin makes a round one, but I'll check at the Miami Boat Show at their booth.
I didn't think so either, on the round Garmin...

The brands that I listed in the poll are the most populars, so I don't think I can go wrong if I were to choose any of them. I'm just trying to decide if I'd like the digital read or analog? I see the digital as being right on, easy to read, no questions asked. On the other hand, I like the look of a classic needle speedo, but I think it would be tougher to read at a glance when bouncing around and trying to focus on driving...
Old 02-08-2005, 11:15 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Re: GPS survey

Here is a picture of a similar dash with a Livorsi analog speedo. You can't tell the difference.

I don't have any problem reading the analog in my 28. The bracket in the top left is for my handheld GPS that I have feeding my analog GPS in the dash.
Attached Thumbnails GPS survey-dash-2.jpg  
Old 02-08-2005, 11:30 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Harper220
I didn't think so either, on the round Garmin...

The brands that I listed in the poll are the most populars, so I don't think I can go wrong if I were to choose any of them. I'm just trying to decide if I'd like the digital read or analog? I see the digital as being right on, easy to read, no questions asked. On the other hand, I like the look of a classic needle speedo, but I think it would be tougher to read at a glance when bouncing around and trying to focus on driving...

why do you need to look at the speed so much? just get a recall and it will tell you exactly how fast you went... the rest of the time i just need to be "close" to the range i want to drive in... use analog for driving needs and get a recall so when you pull up to the dock you can check out how fast you went.... and get an analog that is in your speed range, i see guys getting 160 speedos for boats that do 80, all that does is make it harder to read the lower speeds, get one that is 10-20 faster than you are running now...+
Old 02-09-2005, 12:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sean H
why do you need to look at the speed so much? just get a recall and it will tell you exactly how fast you went... the rest of the time i just need to be "close" to the range i want to drive in... use analog for driving needs and get a recall so when you pull up to the dock you can check out how fast you went.... and get an analog that is in your speed range, i see guys getting 160 speedos for boats that do 80, all that does is make it harder to read the lower speeds, get one that is 10-20 faster than you are running now...+
That's funny... I don't need to always look at my speed and I do understand the purpose of a recall. I just like to see how fast I'm going at certain rpm's and weather or not the boat needs a little trim to get the most out of a certain rpm, mainly mid-range. My boat is capable of mid 90's, so I would more than likely get a 100 or 110 mph speedo if I go analog. I guess we all have different interests?
Old 02-09-2005, 07:06 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

remeber with gps that it is always a little slow, so you have to trim and wait a little and see the results if you are going strictly by speed.... i use the rpm's when i am trying to trim for max speed and then start looking at the speed once i feel i have it the wall.....
Old 02-09-2005, 10:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rbtnt
Here is a picture of a similar dash with a Livorsi analog speedo. You can't tell the difference.

I don't have any problem reading the analog in my 28. The bracket in the top left is for my handheld GPS that I have feeding my analog GPS in the dash.
The hand held gps that feeds your analog gps in the dash, how does that work? Does the hand held run on batteries? Why do you do it that way?

Your GPS speedo matches the other guages well. What brand is it and where did you get it? Price? Lots of questions, I know but that's how I gather knowledge.

I need the receiver and the whole works.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Does anyone make an analog gauge with a digital max speed inset in the face of the analog guage?

Quick Reply: GPS survey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.