Marine Carb or Not >

Marine Carb or Not

Notices

Marine Carb or Not

Old 02-11-2005, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Marine Carb or Not

As a followup. Am I the only one who encounters leaking pump diaphrams on Holleys. I've seen dozens and 1 fire due to the leak. Just wondering why a potentially leak prone design is CG approved.
Gary
Old 02-11-2005, 10:43 AM
Banned

When people want to use Non-marine parts on a boat, I ask them: " What is you life worth, but more importantly what is your family's life worth." Take it from someone who has seen a boat explode and kill a family on vacation because the boat owner used an auto HEI distributor. ITS NOT WORTH IT!!!!

Chris
Old 02-11-2005, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RumRunner
As mentioned before there is no good reason not to run a marine carburetor on a pleasure boat. As far as converting the carburetor goes that can be a very grey area depending upon how in depth they want to get with you. There are changes to the way the throttle shafts are installed, and manufactured on a marine carbruetor. At this time there are not any "USCG Leagal" carburetors. To pass the inspection the manufacture of the carburetor has to prove that they tested the product to meet the USCG requirements when it was designed. If you have someone modify the carburetor to "marinize" it other than the manufacture of it, you might be in a very grey area. If the insurance company checks the list number of the carburetor, and the manufacture explains that it is an automotive carburetor, who is going to be responsible?

When I discussed the mods with Nickerson's they mentioned that throttle shafts would be reworked, power valve changed, J tubes added, choke removed, re-jetted, plus a chitt load of other mods. I don't know the proper technical terminology {carb/engine knowlege challenged}. But, I figured that I was doing the right thing at the time.

My primary concern was with the lack of J tubes, which are now there. But after reading your post, I wonder if I'm ok with this carb.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BAD-HABIT
If you have the money to build 2 540's How can you consider going cheap on carbs? I would walk out the door in a hurry from ANY builder who suggests outherwise. They have NO idea about MARINE engines if they suggest an auto carb.....BG makes awesome marine carbs.....

BH
First of all, I never said it was a money issue. I asked if there were any advantages or disadvantages to using a marine Dominator vs a Quick Fuel Tech. My builder explained the differences to me, and gave me the choice. I didn't see how it would benefit me, so I chose to stick with the Dominator. But now that I know that he doesn't "have NO idea about MARINE engines" I guess I can't trust him.

I appreciate most of the replies. .
Thanks
C
Old 02-11-2005, 06:20 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

This sounds like a real gray area if there is not an USCG approved carb.

Last edited by rbtnt; 02-14-2005 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:58 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So the question remains, does reworked throttle shafts, added J-tubes, removel of electric choke make a marine carb? According to RumRunner, the only thing that will qualify as one, is the ID numbers, regardless that an auto carb has been 100% modified to as -same -as an 'original' marine carb, which is in itself still not classified as USCG approved.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE= At this time there are not any "USCG Leagal" carburetors.

If the insurance company checks the list number of the carburetor, and the manufacture explains that it is an automotive carburetor, who is going to be responsible?[/QUOTE]

Not arguing RumRunner, just trying to get some clarification on this. What about the BG carbs, or other manufactures that advertize "marine" carbs? Do they qualify or are they leagal/approved for marine use or not? You say there are none that are CG "legal". Does that also mean there are none that are CG "approved"? Yikes...that's a grey area! If that's the case, there are a lot of boat owners out there that are in potentially deep sh&*t.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:05 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I have also heard that the braided fuel line is not USCG approved. Does this mean that if you have a carb(s), marine or not, and/or braided fuel line, you are not Coast Guard approved?
Old 02-12-2005, 04:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Cmoney
My builder explained the differences to me, and gave me the choice. I didn't see how it would benefit me, so I chose to stick with the Dominator.
C

Sorry If I spoke out of turn......But from your post I got that he "gave you the choice" and didn't explain how it would "benefit" you. The fact that he would not RECOMMEND strongly that you go with a carb designed and INTENDED for marine use I find VERY unnerving....Not trying to be a smart ass but does he recomend automotive starters and alternators also? Again please excuse me If I spoke out of turn...

BH
Old 02-12-2005, 06:16 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RumRunner
Scott,

IF you have any tuning questions on the new carb just let me know.

Thanks Doug. I don't expect any issues, from what folks here tell me they are a breeze to work with. I'm looking forward to it!!

Quick Reply: Marine Carb or Not

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.