Need Advice - Used Engines >

Need Advice - Used Engines

Notices

Need Advice - Used Engines

Old 02-22-2005, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice - Used Engines

I have a couple new motors on order and I have to sell my old engines. I'm also getting the boat redone at Apache so I need to sell the headers, Y-Pipes and transmissions. I also have a 2 sets of really nice Patterson headers(low hours) and a Daytona crash box to sell. The boat is a full stagger race set up(18"). I have no idea what this stuff is worth on the used market. I was hoping for a few opinions.

Heres the story on the Engines. They are rebuilt mercury 800sc's. About 2 years ago we had them rebuilt. They started out as 572 cu, they are now bored .030 over. One engines is running fine the other one needs a new block. We noticed water in the oil at the end of last season when we took the engine apart, the block is toast(cracked). I basically have 2 engines that need rebuilds, with the exception of the one trashed block all the parts are good.

Lunati cranks, the connecting rods and pistons are all good. We bought new Dart aluminum heads 2 years ago and they are in good shape. The carbs are 2 year old manifold referenced 800 cfm holleys and the blowers are B and M 420 models with one season of use(30-40 hours) since rebuild. They have CMI 2 piece headers(Tube Top Split System) and Huber1050 transmissions. Oil coolers, fuel pumps and water pumps and the power steering pump are all in working order.

I would appreciate any input on what these engines and parts are worth.

The Patterson headers have less than 50 hours on them. they have been sitting in a warehouse for the last 14 years. They would be really nice on a single carb engine set-up.

The Daytona crash box is left over from the racing days, really dont know why I still have it

Any thoughts on what these headers and crashbox are worth would also be greatly appreciated.

Thx in advance.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile Re: Need Advice - Used Engines

Carl,

Those a PRICELESS HEIRLOOMS, so they're worth a small fortune!

Very small.

Transmissions? Shame, shame, shame.

Is that ol' resin-bucket at Mark's now?

What's the new setup gonna be?

Did you hear that Nykamp (on this board) bought Allez Vite, and is bringing it to Grand Haven? It's got Zul 1100's, so be sure you've get enough to (finally) keep up! It's faster than it was in was when we used to play.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Re: Need Advice - Used Engines

Originally Posted by ApachePete
Carl, Did you hear that Nykamp (on this board) bought Allez Vite, and is bringing it to Grand Haven? It's got Zul 1100's, so be sure you've get enough to (finally) keep up! It's faster than it was in was when we used to play.
You aren't going to sit back and take all this from your old rival are you Carl ???
Old 02-22-2005, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Apache Carl:

IMHO you have ONE engine to sell and used parts on the other: why? High HP blower engine with a lunched block is a boat anchor. I would expect the crank has to be machined etc. with H2o in the oil. That means a complete new long block to me. I would NOT trust a High HP engine parts that had H2o in them without refurbishing.

The value on the one good engine~ $5-8K because it is already bored out .030.

The other engine parts? hard to say.

Headers need to be pressure checked, and 14 years is a LONG time.

Free advice and worth every penny.

Wannabe
Old 02-22-2005, 04:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ApachePete
Carl,

Those a PRICELESS HEIRLOOMS, so they're worth a small fortune!

Very small.

Transmissions? Shame, shame, shame.

Is that ol' resin-bucket at Mark's now?

What's the new setup gonna be?

Did you hear that Nykamp (on this board) bought Allez Vite, and is bringing it to Grand Haven? It's got Zul 1100's, so be sure you've get enough to (finally) keep up! It's faster than it was in was when we used to play.
Well Pete, the Allez Vite ass whippin of WarHawk will continue. Maybe you can go out on Nykamps boat and kick my ass again, just like the old days, lol I'm putting in Teague 540 cu 900sc EFI's detuned to 850 hp, only going to turn them 5200-5400 RPM. Looking for some reliable power. Going with Huber 1550 dry-sump trans, no crash boxes, please don't think less of me Mark is going to raise the drives an inch or two, they were always mounted a little low. Drive shaft will be 1 inch above the bottom of the boat then. Boat should run in the low 90's with this set up. Should cruise about 70 mph at 4100-4200 RPM.

Thx for the info Wannabe !!!!
Old 02-22-2005, 08:55 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carl, I have been working on this all day long and have meticulously calculated the value of your stuff to the penny. It turns out that the parts and engine are worth exactly $567.43. I have already made out the check, please let mme know where to pick it all up.

Old 02-22-2005, 09:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by insptech
Carl, I have been working on this all day long and have meticulously calculated the value of your stuff to the penny. It turns out that the parts and engine are worth exactly $567.43. I have already made out the check, please let mme know where to pick it all up.

Damn, I was hoping for $579.56

Well looks like its plan B. Take the good components and sell on EBAY. Hopefully, the blowers, carbs, heads, trans and headers will be worth something.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:32 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's split the difference, I'm a generous guy

BTW, I love that boat, you are a lucky guy
Old 02-22-2005, 10:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Carl,

It sounds like a smart set-up to me.

Of course, that's coming from someone with a Formula that barely goes 75.

But it's NEVER broken in 5 years, which is something I never experienced with the old boat.

And I run 87 octane; not 110, which I could only get at Parkside in Holland.

God, how I HATED those long rides back on one motor!

Funny that we never broke in a race, but did many times just cruzin' .

But I think you'll miss the fun of docking with crash-boxes!

By the way, as to the value of your old stuff:

When I got out, I had 3 fresh (rebuilt by Tom Earhart), extra 572 inch blower motors (in addition to the Merc 1000's in the boat).

I ended up selling them them to Smitty @ Carolina Racing for $5 grand each.

That was 12 years ago. Nobody trusted them, even though they were A-OK.

And I had paid 40 grand each for them.

Take what you can get.

And yea; I hope to ride with Steve Nykamp and do it to you once again!
Old 02-22-2005, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Carl, When I moved from Everglades (where the boat was set-up by Tres) to Lake-X, the Merc people tried raising my motors and drives 2". It was expensive, and it slowed the boat down.

So they put in a 1" spacer: still slower.

Ended up with a 2" spacer (same drive height Mark built the boat with), and that was the best set-up.

Unfortunately, the motors and drives were still raised 2", which hurt the handling, as the center-of-gravity was higher.

And when Meanstreak couldn't ever beat us, even with Bobby Saccenti on the throttles, they raised their drives (I don't know how much), and they still never beat us.

But they DID have a great rooster-tail!

So don't exprct too much . . . and listen to Mister McManus.

Quick Reply: Need Advice - Used Engines

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.