A/C and Generator

Notices

A/C and Generator

Old 03-01-2005, 08:22 AM
Rob
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C and Generator

I am looking for feedback on boaters who have a generator and A/C on their powerboats. I live in South Florida and I am looking at a new 39ft V bottom boat. I think a generator and A/C would be a good idea if is is not too much trouble.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:12 AM
Registered

Default Re: A/C and Generator

If you spend the nights on the boat, my opinion is you need the AC. The gen comes into play if you like to run the AC while anchored somewhere. My boat has both.

Originally Posted by RLopez9014
I am looking for feedback on boaters who have a generator and A/C on their powerboats. I live in South Florida and I am looking at a new 39ft V bottom boat. I think a generator and A/C would be a good idea if is is not too much trouble.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:12 AM
Registered

I've got a 5KW Kohler genset and a 10,000 BTU reverse cycle A/C unit on my Formula SR357.

The 5KW is probably more than needed--3KW would be plenty. A real issue with generator is that the genset needs to run once a week for 60 minutes under load. Keep that in mind also.

Think about putting in a system that will let you run a/c and genset off the hose of boat is stored on trailer or out of water.

The 10K BTU A/C is by Mermaid Air--Formula installed it because it has a very compact footprint--that is key issue on a new install. I've found that the Reverse Cycle on A/C is necesary and only adds a few bucks to cost.

There are several made here in FL that will sell direct and are first rate products---but check the dimensions of unit and cabinet. Also check on how you can routhe the coolant water from the thru hull to the unit and check how you are going to dispose of the condensate. I installed a "CONDENSATOR" that picksup condensate and throws it overboard with the cooling exchange water.

Last edited by Poorsche; 03-01-2005 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:45 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 4.0 Kohler with a 12,000 btu A/C w/electric heat. I use the heat more than the a/c around here. when it does get hot it is well worth it.
Poorsche is correct that you must run the gen at least once a week under load. The only problems that I have had with my genset were carb problems caused from letting it set too long. The fuel passages in those little carbs are oh so small. Just a little stale gas is all it takes to make it run like crap, then have to clean out carb "again".
Old 03-01-2005, 01:02 PM
Registered

I've never run into the carb problem. Is that pretty typical with most gen sets?
Originally Posted by Steve H
I have a 4.0 Kohler with a 12,000 btu A/C w/electric heat. I use the heat more than the a/c around here. when it does get hot it is well worth it.
Poorsche is correct that you must run the gen at least once a week under load. The only problems that I have had with my genset were carb problems caused from letting it set too long. The fuel passages in those little carbs are oh so small. Just a little stale gas is all it takes to make it run like crap, then have to clean out carb "again".
Old 03-01-2005, 01:09 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

I don't know if it is typical or not. I had a Mercruiser(Generac?) brand 5.0 in my last boat never had a carb problem with it. It would just eat fuel pumps. This Kohler works fine as long as the carb is perfectly clean inside. Just a little crud makes a difference.

Steve Hixson
Old 03-01-2005, 01:19 PM
Registered

Mine ran for two years prefectly--the last failure was caused by crud in fuel passages from stale fuel and in the process it took out the "igniter board" which is a Kawasaki part--they provide Kohler with the engine part of the gen set.

It absolutely has got to be run under load on a regular basis.

There is a place in Tampa that makes and installs refrigeration equipment for grocery stores and also makes an excellent line of stainless steel marine A/C units. They started as an electrical contractor over there and migrated into all the other stuff. Excellent engineering and manufacturing. I'd tell you the name but my "Oldtimers" or CRS has kicked in this afternoon.

Also check a place in St. Augustine called Captains Attic--you find him by doing a search for Sunbrella on eBay. He had several marine a/c units at excellent prices.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:27 PM
Registered

So far, only problem I've had was that it burnt out the impeller. My fault! Ran the boat while the gen was running!
Old 03-01-2005, 01:30 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

I run the genset underway all the time. Just don't go over 30 mph or so. The auto shut down kill the gen if it gets hot if or when you forget that it is runnin.

Steve H
Old 03-01-2005, 01:34 PM
Registered

I usually end up running it under 30, then some big CIG boat gives me the fisheye and I end up goin faster!

Quick Reply: A/C and Generator

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.