Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Head gaskets--Fel-Pro  or Cometic >

Head gaskets--Fel-Pro or Cometic

Notices
View Poll Results: Which head gskt should I use ??
Fel-Pro 17048
27.85%
Cometic
63.92%
Other brand ??
8.23%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Head gaskets--Fel-Pro or Cometic

Old 12-14-2005, 07:23 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Head gaskets--Fel-Pro or Cometic

Originally Posted by Swede
What bore size gasket should I use on a 4.53 bore?
On a 4.530 bore, you would want to use a 4.560 bore gasket.
No larger. Thanks,

Dean Gellner
Old 12-14-2005, 07:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Panther
How about, Cometic or, O-Ringed Block and Copper Gasket?
We have used O-Ring blocks with copper head gaskets for many years and have had excellent results with sealing. I use a gasket made by Performance Gasket in Wis. which incorporates graphite composition for sealing the water jackets. They work extremely well for an offshore application. The Cometic Gasket we are using more and more. They will save you money on some machining operations and they work great with higher static compression and lots of boost. I have even experimented with them in Nitrous Drag Racing applications where we are using 2-3 stages and they are very durable. Building from scratch...Cometic.

Best Regards,

Dean Gellner
Old 12-14-2005, 11:05 AM
Registered

I had used a Felpro on a trouble prone 2.5L plymouth 4cyl about 10 years ago. It was a Permatorque gore-tex gasket. I have not seen this type of gasket since. Does anybody know about this material ? Or if there is a big block gasket of it's type ? Just wondering... BBB
Old 12-14-2005, 11:12 AM
Registered

Oh , Also beware that most of those 4 numbered felpro gaskets are not marine and have steel rings that rot. Sometimes we get so caught up in dimensions, cc's gasket thickness etc. and build our motors with automotive gaskets. They could last a few seasons, and I guess wouldn't matter on a motor that comes apart every 2 years or every 200 hours. BBB
Old 12-14-2005, 03:09 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

The 1077 is FelPro's version of the MLS, suposed to be stainless. 4.640
Old 12-14-2005, 03:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Block Billy
I had used a Felpro on a trouble prone 2.5L plymouth 4cyl about 10 years ago. It was a Permatorque gore-tex gasket. I have not seen this type of gasket since. Does anybody know about this material ? Or if there is a big block gasket of it's type ? Just wondering... BBB
It is my understanding that Felpro went to the OEM suppliers for gaskets on the import and domestic aluminum headed engines. Since the Europeans and the Japanese had been doing it alot longer, I think it made perfect sense.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Registered

Default Gaskets for Heads

not sure if this is the right place here, but i have a couple of questions maybe you guys can help me with, i have this block i was told a 502 marine block casting numbers 14096859, i looked it up just says 502 4 bolt HO. is there a way i could no for sure?? i do know that it has to outlets right next to the oil filter i am assuming are for external oil filtering or cooling, at least i used it for cooling, This motor is in a car, 1923 ford t bucket it is stroked to 540 with a 4.550 bore, oh ya i also am running 2 yes 2 671 Don Hampton Blowers, wish i could post a picture it is a site to see. Ok question, head gaskets is there a difference between marine and auto as far as head gaskets?? i have on there now 17049 fel pro, but not real sure if there right, i am pulling the Dart heads that are on there now as they were used with Alcohol and are pitted real bad and leaking water, so i bought a new set of Pro Comp heads with 320cc runners and 115 cc chambers, with dished pistons, i really need to lower my comp. a little more as with the 115cc i will be about 9/9.5, does anybody make a thicker gasket and will the cometic c533 .65 gasket work ?? guys i really apprecaite any input you could give me here and if someone would give me there email address i could send them pictures of this wild car, strickly show and local cruzes.
thanks again.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:50 PM
GPM
Registered

Marine would be stainless, Fel Pro just switches the number to 1067 for auto. You would probably be better off with a MLS gasket for your application. Depending on how thick you make the head gaskets, you may need thicker intake gaskets, and longer pushrods.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:55 PM
Registered

The guys at summit and jegs told me this number
what do ya think, FPP-1075-1 dang these things are pricy,

if you want to check out the car and the first start up go here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUIqzmoL0Fk
Old 04-05-2008, 07:32 PM
GPM
Registered

Originally Posted by nas t
The guys at summit and jegs told me this number
what do ya think, FPP-1075-1 dang these things are pricy,

if you want to check out the car and the first start up go here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUIqzmoL0Fk
4.580 bore, .051, should work well, you might check CV Products, they used to be cheaper.

Quick Reply: Head gaskets--Fel-Pro or Cometic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.