MSD Distributors & Boxes $$$

Notices

MSD Distributors & Boxes $$$

Old 03-05-2005, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: MSD Distributors & Boxes $$$

Thanks!!

Time to break out the checkbook again.. MSD isnt getting any more of my hard earned $$$ though...
Old 03-06-2005, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no problem with the electronics in the Merc. dist. My experiance has been the bronze bushing that the dist. shaft rides in wears out and the shafts begin to wobble. Maybe caused by cam walk ? I was never able to find anyone locally to replace this bushing. After buying two Merc. dist. at about $350.00 apiece because of this problem, I swicthed to MSD.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rbtnt
I agree with Biggus, buy a 3rd box to keep on board. Just love how the distributors rust too.
Las put MSD stuff on my new engines. My local engine guy said to watch out for rust on the distributer caps also. He said Id be better off with Merc caps and MSD boxes. Why should I carry an extra box ?? Do they go bad w/o warning ??

Give me as much info on these products as possible. I hate getting stranded.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:39 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by otis311
Hint: Nascar runs MSDs...Oh yeah , they're so good the run two , as a matter of fact. Switchable , while going around the track .
Sometime they just fail outright. Other times cute little Gremlins appear in all sorts of forms...bad idle , bad top end , bad mid range , popping , backfiring ...whatever.
I like Merc with or without a Crane box. Unless your turning your motors to the moon there's no real advantage. IMHO
Old 03-06-2005, 10:07 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had two MSD boxes fail on two different boats. One of the failures almost put an Ibeam through the side of the boat while docking alone at a marina on a river.

MSD repaired/replaced both units for $85. They have also rebuilt a couple of my distributors. The repair/rebuilt is very cheap compared to buying new from Mercury.

One of my distributors I sent in with an old rotor and cap and they sent it back with new rotor and cap and the total cost was less than $75. I think a cap and rotor run about $35. I sent another one in without the cap and rotor and they sent the rebuild back without a cap and rotor. Next one will go in with a junk cap and rotor.

They also sell a rebuild kit that includes the bushings for between $10 & 20. I don't remember what is was in the kit.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:54 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

I have had one MSD box fail after 14 years use. It was a bi*ch to figure out as the motor would run perfect for 20 minutes from cold then quit and wouldn't refire for 30 minutes then run for 3-4 minutes. Otherwise no problems whatsover.

I have seen a lot of non-marine MSD boxes in boats. Definetly a false economy. Any ignition system that is not completely marinized + weather-pak connections is just begging for trouble in my opinion.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:02 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by otis311
Las put MSD stuff on my new engines. My local engine guy said to watch out for rust on the distributer caps also. He said Id be better off with Merc caps and MSD boxes. Why should I carry an extra box ?? Do they go bad w/o warning ??

I carry an extra msd box/module/coil. I also carry an extra fuel pump, impeller, belts, hoses etc. It's my good luck collection, havn't used any on my boat yet.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check this out i git all msd stuf new, ok cus i wanted to turn 6000th plus about every 4 to 6hours i would tost a coil. thier mounted hourazontal . ok, after i cooked 5 of them i called msd , the said they will not cool that way and must be mounted vertical. . and when they cook ,,, instant , no eu-dow---eu dow