Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Help to simplify cooling system? >

Help to simplify cooling system?

Notices

Help to simplify cooling system?

Old 03-14-2005, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help to simplify cooling system?

My Cig 28SS Has got hoses running everywhere. I'd really like to simplify this system but I'm not sure what I can get away with. Here's what I got for each engine, which are small blocks with TRS.

From the transom pickup, a hose goes to a three way valve which allows a garden hose to be inserted for flushing. Then another hose to the inlet of the sea water pump.

From the sea water pump, there's a hose to a tee fitting that distributes to each "side" of the engine. Each of those hoses has a tee fitting that distributes to an inlet at the top of a thermostat housing (Gil 117044) and to the front of the block, where a conventional water pump would be.

From the outlets of the thermostat housing are another two hoses, agan, one for each "side" of the engine, each going to another tee. One side of the tee goes to the inlet of the exhaust manifold and the other goes to a transom dump regulated by a ball valve.

At the very least, I'd like to eliminate the initial three way valve but I want to maintain the ability to flush the engines. How is this typically done with a transom pickup water inlet?

Any suggestions?
Old 03-14-2005, 08:37 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 945 Likes on 474 Posts
Default Re: Help to simplify cooling system?

Would be easier with some pics......i get lost when you say "Each side of the engine"??? At first i thought you were saying that the hose gets split and runs to where the conventional water pump would be...then i read farther and saw you mention it later. SO now i'm confused....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-14-2005, 08:41 AM
Registered

Thought that would happen. Took me a while to figure it out even looking at the engine. I've got a sketch. I'll see if I can't clean it up and post it somehow.

Maybe this'll help... ...after the tee downstream of the sea water pump it's as though there are two separate cooling circuits. One for each side of the engine.

BTW - Wally, I think this boat that has your old windshield on it.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:44 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Did you buy this boat from Eric? From MI?
If you cant post a pic then email it to me and i'll post it for ya
bigblockwally @hotmail.com

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-14-2005, 12:56 PM
Registered

Here's a diagram...
Attached Thumbnails Help to simplify cooling system?-coolingdiagram.jpg  
Old 03-14-2005, 01:07 PM
Registered

Even though system looks complicated--it's got some great features--multiple fresh water flush ports--which can also be sued to let system ingest anti-freeze as part of winterization process.

I'd be inclined to leave alone--as soon as you change one theing there will be 3 more that will jump out and bite ya--
Old 03-14-2005, 01:43 PM
Registered

And by my count, 30 potential leaks per engine.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:53 PM
Registered

Those 30 leaks still dont add up to the potential of 1 water pump. But if you want simple:
Pickup to water pump. Water pump to a crossover with bypass (from stanless marine or whoever). Thermostat housing to manifolds and dump thru the exhaust.
BTW, I'm not sure if your "ball valve pressure dump" is set up propoerly. It soulds af it maintains backpressure in the system but doesn't prevent overpressure.
With your setup, I suspect you dont have a thermostat. A restrictor should be in place of the thermostat, that will maintain pressure in the block.
Gary
Old 03-14-2005, 02:38 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

By the looks of it to me it looks like you are asking for an overheating situation on the rear cylinders.....if the supply lines are feeding the ports where the conventional water pump is supposed to be mounted AND going up and feeding the thermostsat housing at the same time how do you get circulation into and through the block??? The front cylinders i can see staying somwhat cool because of the cold lake water.....the water inthe back cylinders i think would be at a standstill? Anyone care to comment on my thoughts? i may be lookng at this wrong......

Old 03-14-2005, 03:04 PM
Registered

The engines seem to run OK like this, but...

Wally, you're seeing the same thing I am. Any Chevy (exluding new reverse cooling engines) I've ever worked on had inlet at front of the block (where an circulating water pump would be) and exit through the manifold.

Gary, the ball valves tend to regulate the amount of water to the manifolds, which are old Stainless Marine log style contraptions.

I'm gonna take the Gil thermostat housing apart and see how it may route water to keep from short circuiting through the front of the block.

Found a pic!

Thanks Guys - I'll look forward to more comments!
Attached Thumbnails Help to simplify cooling system?-engine1small.jpg  

Last edited by JohnJan; 03-14-2005 at 03:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Help to simplify cooling system?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.