Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Prop sizing, Can you go up in pitch? >

Prop sizing, Can you go up in pitch?

Notices

Prop sizing, Can you go up in pitch?

Old 03-15-2005, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Prop sizing, Can you go up in pitch?

I purchased a set of 5 blade 17.5X34p Mercruiser labbed props. I think I'm going to need 36p or 37p. Can my props be worked or do I have to buy new props?
Old 03-15-2005, 10:12 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts
Default Re: Prop sizing, Can you go up in pitch?

Pretty sure they can only move pitch up or down 1".
Old 03-16-2005, 01:13 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sounds like a lot of dia. to me, especially for a lite cat. Most cats that I know of are running less than 17" unless it is a really large heavy one needing the lift. I am running a 16.75 which is great, I might even go a little smaller.
If I am right the good news it is easy to have them cut down. This will keep it from tossing the boat around as much as well as let you turn more RPM.
Hope to see you in Sarasota.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:34 AM
Registered

Your props can be increased in pitch, I just finished a set of 17 X 34 and up-pitched them an inch. The speedmaster props are difficult to work but it can be done. Typically 1" is the most we can increase the pitch but it really depends on the prop. Sometimes we can get a little more pitch increase than 1" but I really don't know until we actually start working the props.

The stock Mercury 5 blade Speedmaster props have a lot of potential in them. We have worked many sets for race boats with excellent results. They have the potential to run as well as the Hering props.

What kind of boat and power do you have?

The diameter can be reduced but to do it right takes a lot of time. Sounds like you need to reduce the rpm, however.

Feel free to call if you have any questions.

Matt
Old 03-16-2005, 10:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by throttleup
Your props can be increased in pitch, I just finished a set of 17 X 34 and up-pitched them an inch. The speedmaster props are difficult to work but it can be done. Typically 1" is the most we can increase the pitch but it really depends on the prop. Sometimes we can get a little more pitch increase than 1" but I really don't know until we actually start working the props.

The stock Mercury 5 blade Speedmaster props have a lot of potential in them. We have worked many sets for race boats with excellent results. They have the potential to run as well as the Hering props.

What kind of boat and power do you have?

The diameter can be reduced but to do it right takes a lot of time. Sounds like you need to reduce the rpm, however.

Feel free to call if you have any questions.

Matt
Matt, You had these props at your shop.I got them from a guy named Nick. I need them cut down to to 16.5 to 16.75 but need higher pitch. They are 17.5 X 34 5 blade mercs. Can you do it. Thank you
Old 03-16-2005, 10:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 42MTI
That sounds like a lot of dia. to me, especially for a lite cat. Most cats that I know of are running less than 17" unless it is a really large heavy one needing the lift. I am running a 16.75 which is great, I might even go a little smaller.
If I am right the good news it is easy to have them cut down. This will keep it from tossing the boat around as much as well as let you turn more RPM.
Hope to see you in Sarasota.
Thank you, I do need them cut down. If I can't go up in pitch, I was going to trade them for another set but again, thaey are not perfect either. I will be in sarasota for sure. The guys are working 18 hour days to get me finished but We will make it. Be sure to say hello. Gino
Old 03-17-2005, 07:14 AM
Registered

Yes, these props were in the shop a little while ago, we cleaned them up for Nick. They are like new stock props and have the same issues all the Mecury 5 blades do. Reducing the diameter is no problem, as a matter of fact I discussed reducing the diameter with Nick, but we decided to keep them at their current diameter, since he was planning to sell them. They can always be reduced in diameter but not increased.

If you want more details about the props give me a call. I scanned them with our computer so I can tell you exactly what work they may need, pitch, cup, etc.

Matt
Old 03-17-2005, 07:17 AM
Registered

Are you refferring to the Poker Run on April 1st, 2005? We will be there as well!

Matt
Old 03-17-2005, 08:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by throttleup
Are you refferring to the Poker Run on April 1st, 2005? We will be there as well!

Matt
That's the one! See ya there