Oiling Gen 6 question >

Oiling Gen 6 question

Notices

Oiling Gen 6 question

Old 03-19-2005, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oiling Gen 6 question

OK so i might have gone over kill on the pan.... 16 qts I copied some baffles out of a Dooley pan that i had for a gen 4and modified a gen 6 one. Any way back to my question, i took and pre oiled today, i dumped the oil in the lifter galley and stuck a old dist with the teeth ground off with a drill hooked up i did not dump any oil in the valve covers. I wound the motor up to #1 TDc so i can drop the distributor in when i get my intake gaskets. I then wound it up it sucked the white lithium grease up out of the pickup and it started coming out of the base of the dist by the cam. i knew i was getting oil here and i subsequently checked for leaks. I had one. a plug in the oiling system that i had installed on the lower port side of the block right by the pan in front. I attempted to take it out and i stripped it. i ended up getting it out but i noticed it had a hole in it. I asked myself why someone would drill a hole in it and then it occurred to me that this plug may have come from the cam galley and have a hole to oil the rear of the top timing gear. Hmmm i do not remember anything unusual like this but i could be wrong. Dose one of the plugs in the cam galley have a hole in it to oil the torrington bearing?It was a small hole like .010 dia, Also i noticed that there was no oil coming from the heads. I took care as to mark the old lifters that came out of the 502 as to which direction the oil hole was going. i put new GM lifters in their place and i put them back in the same way as i took the old ones out. I have always preoiled my motors prior to startup. I have always had oil all the way to the top of the head out the pushrods when i did this because i set the lifters when i did this. I have never run roller hyd though. I installed the cam bearings and i know i put them in correct. i put the correct ones inthe correct locations and i double checked the oiling holes. Why am i not getting oil to the top of the pushrods? Dose this thing have to be running to do this? Also where should i put the oil pressure sender?

Last edited by hpy540; 03-19-2005 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:06 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Oiling Gen 6 question

I went thru this on my thread . Linster told me the oil galley has 2 plugs in the front for getting rid of air pockets . I have since talked to a few people and most don't put them back in .

Why do you use white grease? Clevite 77 makes a good Assembly lube and its cheap.

You should have oil at the top.Maybe its the primer you made?It takes awhile for it to get up the runnig it on a drill.

My oil pressure is at the back top of the block .The Alarm sender goes in the side by the oil filter.

Hope this helps ?

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:19 PM
Registered

Thanks and the reason i used white grease is i had two half tubes left over from years past when i was building other motors. It has always worked well for me. If it aint broke, don't fix it. Hmmm alarm sender?? i do not know if i have one of those? what is the merc PN? I will put the pressure sender where the the other one was in my gen 6 454, in the top by the dist. I have to lookup all the wires color codes for this hookup. i do not know what they are but there is a lt blue that is empty a brown wt stripe that is empty and a black by the dist and a white by the dist. I know th color codes are around here some where. Thanx for the info on the air pocket bleed, i really did not want to tear it all apart again.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:23 PM
Registered

I should be able to drop it in tomorrow