Crank Case Venting

Notices

Crank Case Venting

Old 03-24-2005, 09:32 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank Case Venting

On a supercharge motor what is the best way to vent the block.

I currently have a trick looking air breather with at 1/2 line running up to the flame arestor. One each valve cover. I notice that there is oil in the flame arestor. I am sure that the motor is injesting oil from this configuration.

How should I vent this properly.

How is it done on a 525 SC
Old 03-24-2005, 09:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Crank Case Venting

I posted a question on this subject also. After looking at the parts diagram for the 525 it looks like they use a pcv valve.
Rumrunner advised against this because hot oil being injested into superchager can lead to detonation.
I'm thinking about plumbing the v/c breathers into a vented catch tank. How are others venting the block with sc engines?
Old 03-24-2005, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In a perfect world you would come up with a way to have a slight negative pressure in the crankcase. having that in a supercharged engine of over 500 cu-in is pretty much impossible. Now in some drag racing applications they actually have the vent installed in the exhaust collector BUT... this won't work if there is any restriction downstream in the exhaust such as a silencer. Using a puke can will keep the oil out of your intake but at the same time you have to engineer it so that it will keep the crankcase pressure at ZERO. Failure to do this WILL result in oil showing up in your bilge coming from either the front/rear seal. Can we do this with an electric pump? Possibly, and perhaps it is worth looking into. If we can develop a way to maintain a slight vacuum in the crankcase at say 6000 RPM at full boost at the same time preventing oil from being ingested through the intake, I can tell you right now that there will be a significant HP increase.

Roby
Old 03-25-2005, 03:34 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Here is my 525SC. Set up just as you described yours. No PCV's at the valve covers on mine. I get a little oil on the flame arrestor and on the carb, but its minmal. I only use a quart every 20+/- hrs.
Attached Thumbnails Crank Case Venting-525sc.jpg