Marine Mechanic Rates????

Notices

Marine Mechanic Rates????

Old 04-08-2005, 01:08 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Marine Mechanic Rates????

Engine repower (same mfg to mfg) is 14.8 flat rate. What exactly went wrong that caused you to take the engine back to the shop? If it was the bent rod, it was either the cause of the mfg or the tech who put it together, that simple. Bottom line is that it was not your problem. Unless, of course, it was an over-rev, but I think that's a stretch. I don't belong to the group of expert engine builders on OSO, but my shop turns a few thousand jobs a year. Look into this further.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I keep my boat on a lift ....15 min from shop by water .....took it in for a noise in Drive ...left it there all day so they could check it .... found a bad U-joint and said they would have to order the part .....so i took the boat home .....15 min ride ....took it back a cpl of days later and when I idled in to the marina the Starboard motor shut off and would not Idle ....so I told em to check it ... along with installing the U-joint ....they called me cpl hours later and told me starboard motor had no compression on cpl cylinders . (this motor had about 25 hours on it but over a year since it was installed) So they pulled the motor....bent valve ....had both heads checked ...nothing found cept the one bent valve and another one that was questionable .... they put it all back together ...I did ask several times why this happened ...no one had an answer .... So they called me to come get the boat .... said hey ran it a cpl of hours and it was OK ...bill was about 5500.00 ..they resealed one drive...replaced the Ujoint in the other ....pulled the motor .. valve work ....5500.00 ...... I picked up the boat ran back to house .... NEVER over 4000 rpm ..less really .. got to no wake zone and came motor shut off and same symptoms ....limped back and left it with them ....they called me next day and said no compression. I asked them if this was covered ..."not really" .... we had some words ...they pulled the motor and found same bent valve ! This is when we contacted Jasper and they offered to send a new motor but held off on labor until they checked th motor .... that is when shop said it is normally 28 hours to swap a long block but since they were good guys they would do it for 14 hours ......1120.00 ....and if jasper agreed to pay labor their part would be 700 ( jasper allows [email protected]) . Jasper Checked the old motor and said no problems .... Overreved ... I didn't ....never have ..

Now here is another issue ....when they checked the u joint ...they took the boat out ... same mechanic worked on it the whole time .... he is young ..20 sumthin .... so he tested the boat ....each time .... So he could have overreved it ... just a thought ..... by the way ... he is no longer there .....
I really think UNLESS I get into a trusting relationship with a shop I WILL be on Test Runs ....
Sorry about the long story ... the input in appreciated ... Mike

Last edited by offthefront; 04-08-2005 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:50 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when you sy the valves were bent do you mean tulliped(sucked) or where the stems bent. It they were tulliped I would take a good look at youre fuel, bad are stale fuel is a common cusae of this and if you had the same problem twice I would tend to think there is reason. Also you mentioned awnting to go along for further test rides, in my opinion a good shop should invite you, it is your boat. I used t work as a Marine tech for Maveric Marine out in California and this was our standard practice sometimes the customer would not be intersted in coming allong but they were allways more then welcome to and we made it known.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:39 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Billy ... did not see the valves ...but I think they were bent at the stem ... there will be no more testing an me not there .....