Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > General Racing Discussion
Are there races in Grand Haven, MI this year??? >

Are there races in Grand Haven, MI this year???

Notices

Are there races in Grand Haven, MI this year???

Old 04-29-2005, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Are there races in Grand Haven, MI this year???

Originally Posted by OffshoreRescue
There aren't any benefits to having an SBI/APBA sanctioned race. They take the money you raise for the event leaving little to none for prize money (unless you up all the fees). They don't provide anyone to help with the event, and at the end of the year you end up with a divisional trophy that the series would have to buy.
The major sanctioning bodies SBI/APBA, OSS provide credibility to the producers trying to stage a race. With this credibility, their marketing efforts are more successful, and the fees don't have to be "upped" to cover costs. They provide rules, scoring, tech inspection, medical and safety, and consistency (much more so these days) to the sport.

Marketing and Communications was GLSCS's biggest downfall. The decision to "go their own way" was made prior to the Monroe meeting in the Winter of 2004, and then presented to 20% of the teams for a final vote THAT DAY. No warning, no advance notice of their intentions, just boom, here it is.

Why not "Go it alone", offer prize money, high point money, and a trophy for accomplishing the same thing.
It's hard to Market something that's not popular. Why not "Go it alone"? Because you end up with what you have now.

Cheers,
Brian
Old 04-29-2005, 04:33 PM
Race Fast, Race Safe!!!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"OSS and SBI/APBA are trying to make Offshore a more professional operation in my opinion, and are working hard on Image as that is what will bring sponsors in (a good Image)
this is a step in the right direction"

I agree with that whole heartedly.

"seeing a race boat on the water that has the following verbiage painted on the back of their boat is deplorable

"our drinking team has a racing problem"

Once again I agree. (I don't recall seeing this, but maybe)
However, this is not the organizations fault that it occurred. If it is believed that a rule should be made, then get into the org, support it, and vote for the rule (and I think that rule would be a godd one).

"They provide rules, scoring, tech inspection, medical and safety, and consistency (much more so these days) to the sport."

They provide rules, that's it. They do not provide scoring, tech inspection, or medical and safety for divisional events. In fact I have provided medical and safety for some of their events (this was prior to the "merger"). Consistency is up for debate (although it has gotten much better).

"then presented to 20% of the teams for a final vote THAT DAY"

1) Just because 20% of the teams showed up doesn't mean it wasn't right to vote on it. It was said that the season would be discussed, and dealt with.

2) That was last year. This year you had a vote, and it was decided to be with a sanctioning body (OSS). If that was not the organization of your choice, I am sorry for that. However, it was voted on, and decided. So the credibility should have been there. The cost were not raised with OSS, only with SBI/APBA because they require that you send most of the money collected in fees to them with nothing but a rule book in return.

"It's hard to Market something that's not popular."

So prize money, High points money, and trophies aren't popular. Then what is?

You guys do present some very good info and viewpoints.

If you want any organization to work, and work well, you have to see it through the good and the bad (whether it is perceived or real), and work within the rules and structure to change things. I for one believe that the GLSCS is not done, and in fact will be back.

my $.25
would be $.02, but it was long winded

ps. I don't have a problem with any of the National organizations. I just want racing to happen, and happen affordably (if that is possible in offshore racing). The problem doesn't just lie with the GLSCS as to why there isn't a series of races in OH and MI this year(and especially not in GH). If you think a better job can be done, step up to the plate and swing at a few pitches. I don't have all the answers (I probably don't even have 2 of them), but I am willing to try to do whatever it takes to see it happen and not jsut sit back and bad mouth it. I put a lot of my own money into Med and Safety (that boat didn't just miraculously appear and work), and I am here for the long (or short) haul wherever it takes us.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"
"seeing a race boat on the water that has the following verbiage painted on the back of their boat is deplorable

"our drinking team has a racing problem"

Once again I agree. (I don't recall seeing this, but maybe)
However, this is not the organizations fault that it occurred. If it is believed that a rule should be made, then get into the org, support it, and vote for the rule (and I think that rule would be a godd one).

ps. I don't have a problem with any of the National organizations. I just want racing to happen, and happen affordably (if that is possible in offshore racing). The problem doesn't just lie with the GLSCS as to why there isn't a series of races in OH and MI this year(and especially not in GH). If you think a better job can be done, step up to the plate and swing at a few pitches. I don't have all the answers (I probably don't even have 2 of them), but I am willing to try to do whatever it takes to see it happen and not jsut sit back and bad mouth it. I put a lot of my own money into Med and Safety (that boat didn't just miraculously appear and work), and I am here for the long (or short) haul wherever it takes us.
I am only going to respond to this part as to respond to the rest would not be productive and we are by the way trying to be positive and supportive of offshore racing

First I am looking hard for the Pic i snapped as i pulled up behind the race boat i spoke of with the writing on the back
I know who's boat it was but that isn't important the fact that it was there is more to the point

second regarding if your comment "If you think a better job can be done, step up to the plate and swing at a few pitches."

(Keeping up with the baseball analogy)
We have done exactly that, and found out that the pitcher keeps aiming at our heads, so we decided to hit the dugout and quit taking the bean balls
then we watched as the rest of the team slowly , methodically left the field to play for another a team that would act more professional and fill there desire to play BALLwith some integrity

Bruce it is time to look forward
and support the OSS and APBA/SBI and OPA since they still have ball diamonds to play at and players that still want to play in there league
Old 04-30-2005, 08:08 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bruce, I'd rather not keep going on bashing GLSCS. They once had a fine organization with tight racing and great venues, Grand Haven included. But I believe their membership has spoken for themselves.

I would like to commend you and the SCORE team for your dedication and contribution to making Great Lakes racing safe. I have personally seen your team jump into action when the call came, and your med and safety team have always answered that call.

I do hope that racing returns to the Great Lakes, and hope that your team has a place to join as well. If GLSCS can make it happen, I'll be there. If someone else wants to "take a swing", I'll support them. As far as me personally stepping up to the plate, I'm a racer, and I have enough on my plate keeping a race boat running. Doesn't make sense to try to do both, and maybe that's part of the problem.

It is unfortunate that everyone has taken their balls and gone home.

Good luck to you,
Brian
Old 05-02-2005, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marketing and Communications was GLSCS's biggest downfall....I believe that person has left the building.

Mike