AMF sets performance yacht speed record >

AMF sets performance yacht speed record

Notices

AMF sets performance yacht speed record

Old 05-23-2005, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMF sets performance yacht speed record

Not as fast as we 'd like but the conditions were horrible and the boat was finished last minute so no set up time but......
Article taken from APBA Website

AMF Racing left a liquid line of water in the wake of its 51' Outerlimits as it set the World Performance Yacht Speed Record at 118.46 mph on April 22nd. AMF Racing's proprietor John Haggin's motivation for hosting the Kilo Run was two-fold. John wanted to launch the running of Turbine Engines, originally fabricated for military operations, in a Performance Yacht. As well, he wanted to be the first to inaugurate a new World Speed Record for Turbine Powered Yachts. He accomplished both objectives as the AMF Outerlimits with T53 Lycoming Turbine Engines gradually spun up to top speed and went ballistic demonstrating its capabilities. The end result-indeed a proven "speed machine" worthy of holding a World Speed Record.

Innovative timing equipment allowed for the APBA officials to monitor the Kilo Run speeds by placing precisely positioned markers on land and telescopes at the start and finish of the race course. Fast Boats, Inc., the local APBA Club out of Central Florida was also instrumental in assisting with the Kilo Run and played a major role in the success of the event. The twelve-mile long Crescent Lake in the serene and breathtaking town of Crescent City, Florida was the chosen destination for the APBA sanctioned event. During the Outerlimits debut, John Haggin was at the steering wheel, Bob Savering was on the throttles, and Ken Warby was navigating.

Having the distinguished Ken Warby, "the Fastest Man on the Water", take part as navigator in addition to being on-site certainly added to the three days of exhilaration. His fastest recorded speed was 345 mph one-way and 317 mph on average for two ways. Originally from Australia, Mr. Warby currently resides in Cincinnati, Ohio and he joined AMF Racing to share his experiences with all. Following the World Record Kilo Runs and accompanying festivities, a ceremony took place where AMF Racing donated its newly rigged safety boat, outboard engine, and trailer purchased exclusively to be used as a water rescue and recovery vessel in Crescent City and surrounding Putnam County.

Please visit the following website www.amfoffshoreracing.com to learn more about the Kilo Run and AMF Racing.
Attached Thumbnails AMF sets performance yacht speed record-amfrecord.jpg  

Last edited by ScottB; 05-23-2005 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:40 PM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Default Re: AMF sets performance yacht speed record

WHOA----

It was my understanding that to set the record for the kilo was to run two attemps. The primary and a back up as did Warby on his TWO 300 plus runs as did the record houseboat two way average of 8.2mph..

I was there on Friday and did not witness a back up run. I admit I was not there Sat or Sun.

Here is the Friday 118 run and the attempted return where an outdrive problem occured and the run incomplete.

I hope i'm wrong
Attached Thumbnails AMF sets performance yacht speed record-1p1040652.jpg   AMF sets performance yacht speed record-1p1040661.jpg   AMF sets performance yacht speed record-1p1040666.jpg  

Old 05-23-2005, 08:54 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Marc, they fixed the boat that night and made two runs the following day.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:14 PM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Ahhhh..Thanks Ron...

What were the speeds of each run??
Old 05-23-2005, 09:32 PM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Mr Ken and I had a nice conversation about Russ Wicks who is preparing a craft to break Kens record..

What were the two speed runs to ave 118??

Grumpy ol man...

Check it out...http://www.americanchallengewsr.com/

Last edited by gdfatha; 05-23-2005 at 09:36 PM.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:54 PM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Hears the inital shape..Part F-16 and Part F-18. Question: Which part will cross line first??
Attached Thumbnails AMF sets performance yacht speed record-aci_craft_sm.jpg