Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Sea Tow "SUCKS" (again)

Please explain the bill, $ 15,000.00
Old 09-17-2005, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bruce,

I agree with everything you have said, except that salvage laws apply to any vessel being operated in navigable waters. I am getting involved with the situation at hand, and hopefully we can work towards a reasonable agreement.

I spent a considerable amount of time back in the Mike Alweis (sp?) days attempting to come up with an agreement with the APBA for towing and salvage for the race boats. Long story short we did not come to an agreement prior to his exit.
I wish there was something to be done with the different racing bodies, then I would not be in situations like this.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:54 PM
Registered

I understand that the laws apply to any vessel in navigable waters, including raceboats. Thats why we need some form of blanket agreement.

thanks for your input
Old 09-17-2005, 09:17 PM
Registered

OK, the $15,000 bill

This is my best assumption at this point from what I know. I do not have the report form the local Sea Tow yet.

THe following is on a scale of one to ten (my best guess for discussion purposes)

(a) the salved value of the vessel and other property;
$200,000 - $250,000
(b) the skill and efforts of the salvors in preventing or minimizing damage to the environment;
10 no environmental damage
(c) the measure of success obtained by the salvor;
10 complete success
(d) the nature and degree of the danger
4 it doesen't sound like the seas were rough but it was a 50' boat upside down
(e) the skill and efforts of the salvors in salving the vessel, other property and life;
10 they did great
(f) the time used and expenses and losses incurred by the salvors;
3 not a lot of time, little expense i.e they did not have to hire a crane or other subcontractors
(g) the risk of liability and other risks run by the salvors or their equipment;
8 Anytime you hook up to a capsized vessel and turn it right side up your liability is high
(h) the promptness of the services rendered;
10 they were already there, very prompt
(i) the availability and use of vessels or other equipment intended for salvage operations;
8 they have other boats and equipment on standby a their base for use in salvage
(j) the state of readiness and efficiency of the salvor's equipment and the value thereof.
8 the equipment is ready at a moments notice and the value could be as high as $300,000

That is an average to 7.88, indicating a higher percentage. My experience and many other will disagree, bring me to a starting point of 20% the 7.88 points me to 16% of the salve value or $32,000 to 40,000. That is where I would start on my salvage claim and negotiate from there. Apparently the local Sea Tow has already taken into account some other factors and are less than half of my reward. I guess I will have to ask them how they arrived at that figure.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Faster Daddy
I know that there were other capable boats on the water that day that would have been more than happy to put a line on the boat and give it a tow to the crane. I think that the Sea Tow boat took the lead and hooked up the boat, no one knowing the bill that was to come.
Of course he took the lead.....$$$$$. It's a jackpot for "recovery" companies....just about every race has someone flip over. I could make a living off the race circuit. I think there is an answer to this problem.....have the sanctioning bodies equip a boat for "recovering" flippped race boats and don't let the "paid" companies on the closed course.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:03 AM
Registered

Ex Dude your sea tow cap didnt save the racer the one diver involved was a women who had a hard time seeing any in the raceboat because of bad water conditions and maybe a algae problem she was upset.I know because one of my partners was there,as soon as he returns i will give his version of the incedent.
Junkman
Old 09-18-2005, 08:51 AM
Registered

i think it is ridiculous and sea tow should be ashamed!! as a mechanic, i hear the horror stories all too often of ridiculous bills!!! you know, the coast guard used to tow people in trouble until the likes of sea tow sued them to get more business, to give you an idea of their businness practices!!! you would think having sea tow at a race would be enough of a plumb for them!!!, but apparently that is not enough to satisfy their greed!! and, ps , after the huricanes here in s fla sea tow made a killing doing their"salvage" operations on all the derelict boats, so yes, sea tow has driven up insurance rates with their insane pricing and should be ashamed, and, tow boat us, while a little better, is still in the same'boat'- and the sanctioning body should be req'd to provide the towing operation- sea tow- MODERN DAY PIRATES! and who says piracy doesn't exsist!!!!! and ps- someone said the nhra has the safety safari, good point, maybe someone should be listening
Old 09-18-2005, 09:16 AM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So what does a Sea Tow franchisee do when he comes upon a boat only worth $5k? realize he can't extort big $ from the owner and let it drift around?
As far as Sea Tow "volunteering" to sponsor the race thats kind of like a pedophile volunteering to watch kids at a day care center.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:01 AM
Registered

I have heard this story thru this forum and I also have to commend the Sea Tow guy getting here to discuss. I have read his posts and looked at the referenced links he posted. The NHRA safety safari is a great idea, they are a huge asset to drag racing and offshore sport could surely benefit from a similar service. All that being said as an independent (neutral) non-racer boater that has always had tow insurance in my opinion the act of Sea Tow trying to get savage at a race is crap. They should be there to sell the services and get a fair flat fee from the promoter. To hook up a flipped race boat and try to act like a non racing incident is BS. I think with the budget cut the Coast Guard has plenty of other things to do rather than tow yahoos like me to shore after my boat breaks. I totally agree with the Sea Tow/Boat US services. I think it is the smartest $$ to spend a year. The Maritime Salvage laws however are out of date and need updating. I believe towing companies can make a fair and decent living without raping racers and others using greatly out dated laws.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CigDaze
I think everyone should have a salvage contract on board their boats. It's the easiest way to avoid a disputed claim later, along with any surprises.
(See attachment)

Good reading here:
http://www.boatus.com/towing/guide/salvage/thing.asp
http://www.vesselassist.com/SWhite_tow_salv.html

And ya, SeaTow sucks!
Thanks for the salvage contract. Printed and going onboard with the safety kit. This is one of many reasons why I love this forum. Keep up the great flow of information guys.

Quick Reply: Sea Tow "SUCKS" (again)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.