Notices

rough or too rough

Old 04-27-2007, 10:14 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,737 Likes on 3,794 Posts
Default rough or too rough

Just curious what the thoughts are on rough water some say the rougher the better, but in light of the recent Miami race, for the sake of safety, when do you make this call?? when people refer to the good old days, one could not predict what the conditions were like 60 miles out. Are rough water races really what everyone wants?? IMO its fun to watch, but thats about it.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete B
Just curious what the thoughts are on rough water some say the rougher the better, but in light of the recent Miami race, for the sake of safety, when do you make this call?? when people refer to the good old days, one could not predict what the conditions were like 60 miles out. Are rough water races really what everyone wants?? IMO its fun to watch, but thats about it.
As a Team Owner / Equipment Owner I personally would rather race in flat to moderate water any time. I think most of the Racers prefer high speed side by side racing over the macho schmuck, pound your chest, "I survived" deal. There is a really good feeling attached with putting all of your stuff back on the trailer after a great race and not having to hire a salvage crew to do it, not to mention eliminating the need for a full time chiropractor / orthapedic surgeon on the team. I understand the "good old days" because I was racing then to, but if you look at the high tech lightweght equipment we have al gravitated to in order to make the boats fast, it flies in the face of going out and dystroying all your stuff plowing through 6 footers, tabs down, drives tucked, Ballast full, spine damaging "bid water" deal.

I don't know what the demarcation line is between rough and lets call off the race - I know that they did that in South Padre Texas at a Race I was entered in back in around 1994, that is the last time I rememeber it happening.

Gregg Reichman
Old 04-27-2007, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Rather Race Rough Ocean Water Over Flat Water Any Day Of The Week In The 24 Footer
Old 04-27-2007, 10:49 AM
Registered

6's is alot of fun and takes skill not to stuff or destroy your boat
Old 04-27-2007, 11:46 AM
Gold Member

I persanally think that flat water racing should be from the dry pits to the wet pits.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:15 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I hate flat water. Average speeds are way up over racing in the rough. Trimmed up boats outta control and high speed turns are an accident waiting to happen. Rough water makes most boats equal and really put emphasis on the construction of the boat , rigging and who's in the best shape. Just my .o2
Old 04-27-2007, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete B

I like a mixture of both. Rough water is the GREAT equalizer.

Miami was perfect this past weekend. Personally, I could race there every race of the year.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:30 PM
Registered

I think thats what is great about Offshore racing...
Some boats run better in the ruff and some better in the clam...thats what great...you dont know what the weather will be...and it comes to set up...some races will be 1 to 2 foot chop or it could be 8 to 10's...

I think by changing to a storm course taking into consideration the weather conditions and the safety and equimpent is a great thing the Org do...

Last week in Miami...for example...John asked us in P3 how many laps we wanted ot run...and the look on Dave Branch's face...he said he could not remember the last time he even ran 30 miles in a race...but he was laughing...saying at least we won't brake anything...

Since racing for the last 8 years I think the safety and the well being of the crews were taking care of in all water conditions...to cancel a race becasue the seas are to big..or not to race were the water is normally rough is not good for the sport or the fans...
If the turn boats and saftey crews can get out there we should race and put on a show....period.......

We have seen races in OSS in calm water were still 20% of the fleet broke...

Last edited by MANITIE; 04-27-2007 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:42 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

The Condo loves Rough water, I'm gettin' older...it hurts more and the pains stay longer
Old 04-27-2007, 01:54 PM
VIP Member

Bigger the better. Gave up water Skiing years ago. I must say however. I have raced some flat water races with OSS, if the coarse is set up right, it can be an awsome challenge. The race on Sunday is won by the teams that ran the most test laps on saturday. Finding the line through the turns was a blast. Hats off to who ever designs those race coarses. Oh and Puerto Rico, was way over the top. Smitty

Quick Reply: rough or too rough

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.