Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > General Racing Discussion
Spec class in SVL.... >

Spec class in SVL....

Notices

Spec class in SVL....

Old 10-25-2007, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear you....and I know OPA has there hands full already with inspections....but maybe something could be worked out were you guys summitt the inspection you want and maybe it could be handled....the tech in spec racing needs to be thorogh....but the more you guys get out there in big numbers the more teams will get inclided to jump in....
also it would be good to get Steve and Gary to come North...Its been a long time since they had to jorney up this way along with Bob M

Last edited by MANITIE; 10-25-2007 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:19 PM
Registered

Good thread Gino ! Nice posts Vinny. Inverted starts would be fun to watch.

Cool to see some dialog without bashing each other post after post after post.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:13 PM
Registered

We would love to run spec SVL with OPA. It would be really cool if they planned the starts so we could also run P4 and get a chance to race twice. The comment about having to put 850hp in a SVL to win 4 class is very true. We ran most the season and would have to say Simmons, Bruce, and our boat are fairly equal in set up. If things all stayed the same and other spec SVL's run 4 class with us it would be a great time with some good competition. However any SVL with more than 525hp shouldnt be running 4 class. These boats are fast and handle great more HP just kills the competition for alot of the older boats in 4 class. We love the big boat count in 4 class. We want to keep the 525 in the boat and run 4 class and some SVL races, but I love competition and want to win. Leaves us in a hard spot, if 4 class lets 800hp plus SVL's run we need to change the motor to be at the front. That blows our chance at running a spec SVL race also. If OPA runs A SVL spec class then our problem is solved.........or they limit HP in an SVL in 4class. Either way we will be racing with OPA all next season its a great time.

Scott
TEAM OCTANE 411
Old 10-29-2007, 05:45 PM
Registered

This is a great thread, and I agree with everything that Gino is saying. Spec racing is great racing, look at NASCAR.

I also like the starting idea being 2x2 as well. If you had enough boats you could expand that to a 3x3 (like Indy).

One thing that strikes me about racing the smaller boats is the oversized circuit that we race on. While a 5+ mile circuit is good for the big boats it takes the small ones to far away from the crowd.

Personally I would be all for shorter circuits and more laps, in an attempt to bring the racing closer to the fans. It would also make for better TV, the more turns the better the race viewing.

The biggest issue the sport faces is a following. The fans come first, then the sponsors. Not the other way around, thus making the race more fan friendly is key. Why do you thing stock car racing is so huge?

The second biggest issue facing it is the barrier to entry. We are talking about $150k boats and a race weekend budget of $3-5k. For that amount of money you could run a regional NASCAR series, attract sponsors and win real money. Why would a racing team owner get involved with offshore racing? Until we can change that offshore racing will remain a hobby for the upper middle class who likes boats.

When I got into offshore racing in 2003, it was because I saw an opportunity. The APBA was doing all the right things to get the sport recognized by the general public (GM, Speedchannel, etc), but all the evaporated (I will leave the political commentary out). That change set the sport back many many years. For me it was very disheartening, we had been negotiating with a major financial institution to fund an SVL team. When the TV went away, so did their interest. Sorry the WaterChannel did not quite do it for them. Today that same company's name is found on IRL cars and Tour De'France teams. I had them in their infancy and lost them.

I hope Gino is right and the sport is on the rise again. We are going to bring the bat boat back in 2008 after a 3 year layoff (divorce sucks, but I kept the boat) and look forward to a bright future. If SVL racing takes a step and we can compete on the West Coast, there is no doubt we would be willing to take the step up.

Rick
Old 10-29-2007, 06:41 PM
Registered

Rick agree....I think there maybe something to the shorter couse for smaller boats....

In Tenn was a great example....the skiffs can run up to 80 mph...and there course is very short...but we all could see the whole race....

Smitty was telling me in Europe they have a short leg and a long leg that you get to choose while your racing...

Would it be that hard to set up 2 more turn bouys inside the straight aways for the smallet boat to run that course...

in Cambridge the racing was very close in the 1st 5 laps or so....and a big part of it was the course was only 3 mile long...

Since we all can agree that a race is really won in the first 30 miles or so in smaller boats.....would it be better to run 2 heats....draw for positions and race 25 to 30 miles....and then line back up for the second start based on your first finish....with the last place boat on the inside and the 1st place boat on the outside...this way all the boats have a chance of winning and the boats would not be so spread out on the course..... your not talking about a lot of down time...becasue for 1 the boats will all still be fairly close in running...and as soon as the last place boat finishes...race control can call out each boats possition and get lined backed up and take the green for the second start...

We all have heard fans say who's winning, becasue once the boats get spread out it turns out to just boats passing in front of them ever 15 to 30 seconds...well this way the boats would always be in a pack by the finish line....

Last edited by MANITIE; 10-29-2007 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:20 PM
Registered

You are on to something.

I like the heat race format and the side by side starting.

The attaction of offshore is the changing water (big) conditions, I see a couple of opportunities with POPRA where the venues would allow this. I think I am still on the board, maybe I should talk to Cooper.

How much fun would short track offshore racing be in a bat boat.

When I look at the proposed POPRA 2008 schedule, Havasu, San Diego, LOTO and Vegas would be great venues to try and run this format.

I am thinking a 2-2.5 mi circuit with 10 laps for the first heat and 15 for the second. You could use IKF (karting) scoring standards to decide the winner. Just think of the passing that you would see during the race.

Rick

Quick Reply: Spec class in SVL....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.