Notices

What does it take?

Old 10-29-2007, 11:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does it take?

With the Worlds over the next two weeks, I thought it would be a good time to ask this question,

What does it take to get the wanna be racers into the water actually racing?

In the past 5-6 years the market to buy a used race boat has never been better that makes me wonder what you are waiting for?

Looking at the OSO classifieds there are 4 boats that are ready to race for under $40k, and I think Team BRE's Warlock is still out there for $39k.

Let's recap:
  1. 95 Hydra A Boat $29k
  2. 01 29' Fountain F1 $39k
  3. 93 26' Corsa $23k (this is a great boat we raced against it at the 2005 OS Worlds)
  4. 01 Bat Boat $39k (no excuses now, here is a canopy boat)
  5. and Team BRE's Warlock $39k (as I am told)

It is not very rare to see a "I wanna race" post, so I ask again, what would it take to get you in a boat racing?

All of these boats could be financed and insured (not on race day though). You could buy that Corsa for a couple hundred a month.

From where I sit the time has never been better to buy that race boat and get in the game.

Rick
Old 10-29-2007, 11:52 PM
Registered

I (think) I wanna race!

There's also a part of me that wants to have a chance if I do race.

So I'm answering a question with a question.

Which boat would be the most competitive for someone running the SBI circuit?

This is another one I'd like to throw into the mix:

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/1/5/89846415.htm
Old 10-30-2007, 01:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by towhead

Which boat would be the most competitive for someone running the SBI circuit?
The answer is.... the one you choose to race.

All of these boats can be competitive. Each has its pro's and cons depending on the water, circuit size, etc.

But only hard work and determination will get you a checkered flag.

I can tell you the Corsa was a tough boat for us to beat in Key West in 05. They ran top 5 in SBI's P4 Class that weekend. On the second day when the water was "smoother" we had a real tough time with them (we went on to finish 2nd that year, I think this boat took 4th).

Out west in 2003 and 2004 we went undefeated in our Bat Boat (did not race it since), but I know we will be very competitive when we return next year. That boat will turn on a dime at WOT, but when you get in real big water, hold on you are in for a ride.

As I stated, pick one, buy it and start racing. Before you know it you will figure out how to be fast in whichever one you buy.

Just don't give up and remember, "Football, Baseball, and Golf use one ball, Racing takes two!"

Rick
Old 10-30-2007, 06:37 AM
Racer
Racer

Originally Posted by ryoung99

Let's recap:
  1. 95 Hydra A Boat $29k
  3. 93 26' Corsa $23k (this is a great boat we raced against it at the 2005 OS Worlds)

The Hyrda is being sold without a motor and some assembly required, so thats not race ready.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:10 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My pick is the Bat Boat. NOTHING ON EARTH TURNS LIKE A BAT BOAT. May be a Super Bike or F1 car on land, but no offshore boat. It has a canopy and it plenty fast enough. Plus it has won multiple races and an SBI championship. Furthermore, you can lease it out if you can't race it one weekend. Finally, there is nowhere you can go with drawing a hugh crowd. Sponsors love that it is not just another 24 foot boat with stickers.

So make an offer and go racing.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wahoo ATV
My pick is the Bat Boat. NOTHING ON EARTH TURNS LIKE A BAT BOAT. May be a Super Bike or F1 car on land, but no offshore boat. It has a canopy and it plenty fast enough. Plus it has won multiple races and an SBI championship. Furthermore, you can lease it out if you can't race it one weekend. Finally, there is nowhere you can go with drawing a hugh crowd. Sponsors love that it is not just another 24 foot boat with stickers.

So make an offer and go racing.
I did not want to seem like a "homer" when answering the "which should I buy question", but I concur wholeheartedly with this statement.

It seems like every time I take the boat to a public event, I have gotten TV coverage and a line of people wanting to see what the boat is all about.

Although I would not say nothing turns like one, my karts and Lotus turn pretty fast, but you will not find an offshore boat that turns faster.

The benefit of the bat boat is that you really can win races in the corners. If you get semi flat water this boat really cannot be beat in its class, it handles the rough water (but in the rough, bigger is always better) well and will always leave you smiling.

There is no doubt the bat boat is a fan favorite and at $39k, that is a virtual steal.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails What does it take?-pittsburg2003-21.jpg   What does it take?-b2b1.jpg   What does it take?-b2b2.jpg  

Old 10-30-2007, 10:49 AM
Registered

Let's recap:
  1. 95 Hydra A Boat $29k

It is not very rare to see a "I wanna race" post, so I ask again, what would it take to get you in a boat racing?

All of these boats could be financed and insured (not on race day though). You could buy that Corsa for a couple hundred a month.

From where I sit the time has never been better to buy that race boat and get in the game.

Rick
Any of these boats can show up and race. To show up and win however, they need new power. It's all about torque now. Big HP, Big torque, 0 to 74.9 and not a 1/10 over. So although the boats may be inexpensive, the new engines won't be. These are good entry level boats. For the POPRA races you would definitely need to re-power. Just look at the race locations. 5 lake races and 2, maybe 3 ocean races.

Flat Water Races
Lake Havasu, Az
Pittsburg, Ca
San Diego Bay Fair Hydros
LOTO
Las Vegas

Rough Water Races
Orange Beach

Either Way Rough or Flat
Long Beach

Worlds TBD Nov??
Old 10-30-2007, 11:11 AM
Registered

We will see, I am going down in power with the BB not up and for some reason still think I will be plenty competitive in 5. In addition to changing the engine we will also drop the drive to get us additional cornering stability and in the end we shoudl be right at 74.9, and if things word correctly be able to corner at that speed as well

Looking forward to getting back in the Saddle. Although we will most likely not go to the LOTO and Orange Beach races. For some reason I thought POPRA stood for Pacific Offshore, and even if all our races are not in the Pacific Ocean, I thought to be a POPRA the races would at least be in the Pacific time zone. I guess we have a national traveling series now, not a regional one.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Let's recap:
  1. 95 Hydra A Boat $29k

Rick
1)29k + 15k to 20k for new motor=44k-49k turn key
2)39k turn key option of 550.00 to seal and F1 legal or keep it in P
3)23k + 15k to 20k for new motor= 37k-43k turn key
4)39k turn key great P boat check with SBI office concerning leasing boat out, in 04 this was not allowed
5)39k turn key great P boat

My suggestion Towhead is to chose which class you want to race in b4 any purchase and build the boat for that class. I am partial to the Fountain of course cause I know Jim has only first rate guys working on that boat(being around a fountain F1 for 7 years now gives me a little knowledge of her) and only the best of parts, but if you dont have a great driver you will be disappointed with that purchase. It gives you the most flexibilty to go in to a choice of classes, plus a solid hull that will go 85mph with just a little old 500EFI that runs approx 60.00 a race in maintenance. The Bre boat is and was a great boat but you are limited to P class with it due to if I remember correctly it has a carbed 500 in it. and with the Fountain you get an extra 2 foot.

Bottom line they are all great boats and would fit in somewhere in SBI if thats where you chose to race. Good luck in your decisions

Trent

Last edited by F1-00 Racing; 10-30-2007 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:18 PM
Registered

I'm a "wanna-be" racer. What I'm not is a "wanna-be" race prep shop. Been there done that with the cars. I don't have time for it. Thats why I'm looking around for an arrive and drive deal of some sort. You know what they say, if it flies, floats or F's... it's always cheaper to rent than it its to buy!

Rick, I didn't realize you were a kart guy too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.