Notices

A Racer's mind

Old 03-01-2008, 08:52 AM
aex
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A Racer's mind

On a Nascar show last night one of the anouncers stated ,
" Racer's have short memories and no imagination".
My wife says we are all " T Type " risk takers and gamblers .
I've noticed over the years you either have it or you don't , no in between . Some love it but most say " Slow down !Drop me off in Newport , I'll take a cab back ! " When out of consideration you had only been giving them 50% .
You know you are different when several boats get together and they are all full , except for yours .
You know you are different when at 100 you want to go faster .
I am not condoning risking people's safety here or scaring the heck out of them , I'm just making an observation .
Old 03-01-2008, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a Nascar show last night one of the anouncers stated ,
" Racer's have short memories and no imagination".
My wife says we are all " T Type " risk takers and gamblers .
My wife calls it the defective gene. The one that likes adrenalin. I have that. I think its an over generalization to say that racers have a short memory and no imagination. I have both of those traits as well.

I've noticed over the years you either have it or you don't , no in between .
I do agree with that. Some people just think they are racers.

And just because you like the adrenalin rush doesn't make you a racer.

Last edited by MOBILEMERCMAN; 03-01-2008 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hot Digitty, Jimbob.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I must dissagree...most racers have selective memory.. they remember racing things very well.. and no imagination..only a lucky few racers have people doing their work..most racers are constantly engaged in finding ways to better thier equipment, etc...andbody who says racers have no imagination has NEVER seen a real racer inturpet a rule book.....
Old 03-12-2008, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i guess if your wallet is big enough you dont have to remember chit. that is what you pay them for.
as for the other 99.9%, we remember everything, or atleast right down what worked and all the other things that didnt. i remember reading a rule book about extention boxes, saw that it read plural, and ended up with 24 inches of set back on a bravo. evryone didnt like that including the inspectors, read the rulebook. it was changed after that.

how is that for imagination?
Old 03-12-2008, 08:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

First let me sat i am not a boat racer....Second let me say that if my wallet let me i would be in feet first.......I think most racers are cut from the same stone, it is one thing to sit and talk boats with your buddies... But there is always a selected few that want to talk about certain things such as cam selection and how after a different cam selection made the boat due this in the turn but did that in the straight...How props selection is so important, and how devoting all your time and money into something that most people cant grasp the concept....I only can speek from my exspierence of restoring a old boat can totally consume you....

The racers are what makes this sport awsome, and i due appreciate the devotion it takes.....You guys are on a playing field that is above most poker runners and pleasure boaters.....
I only wish i could be more involved!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know you have a problem with speed when you're more relaxed "in the zone" doing triple digits than you are idling around the marina...
Old 03-13-2008, 12:10 AM
aex
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
I must dissagree...most racers have selective memory.. they remember racing things very well.. and no imagination..only a lucky few racers have people doing their work..most racers are constantly engaged in finding ways to better thier equipment, etc...andbody who says racers have no imagination has NEVER seen a real racer inturpet a rule book.....
The point to that quote , short memories when it comes to a bad racing incident or close call and no imagination when it comes to thinking of what could happen in a wreck .

Am I the only guy that got this ?
Old 03-13-2008, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aex
The point to that quote , short memories when it comes to a bad racing incident or close call and no imagination when it comes to thinking of what could happen in a wreck .

Am I the only guy that got this ?
I remember all of my bad hops. One I can only guess what happened it happened so fast. I can imagine a lot of ugly things I have a huge imagination. I have even been called "the biggest dreamer".

I totally disagree with everything but the defective gene part.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by smokin' joe
You know you have a problem with speed when you're more relaxed "in the zone" doing triple digits than you are idling around the marina...
just saw a tv show about that type of thing..its how the brain actually works. I experienced it when racing in the desert, often thinking about something besides riding when going fast. The scarey part is when you get a little out of shape or hit something wrong and reality snaps in for a second. The subconcious mind can process much more information in a much faster timeframe than the concious mind.*Disclaimer* this ONLY happens AFTER you have developed the skills and talent needed for the task!!

Quick Reply: A Racer's mind

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.