Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > General Racing Discussion
In a Perfect World how would you set up the race classes? >

In a Perfect World how would you set up the race classes?

Notices

In a Perfect World how would you set up the race classes?

Old 10-10-2008, 04:22 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by audacity
With 12 clases fan's can not tell who is racing who.
I could see 12 classes working, Just race 6 classes Saturday (2 classes in each heat) and the Spec class Sunday.

I would like to see a Superstock Cat Light were the older cats or smaller cats could run with 200hp mercs. I would also like to see as a racer a course with right and left hand turns if possible.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:22 PM
Registered

P-Class runs on Sat 3 races....

1st race Class 5 and 6
2nd race Class 3 and 4
3rd race Class 1 and 2

Sundays race

1st race SS and SVL (Cat and vee class runnning easy to tell whos winning)
2nd race SV and SC ( A cat class and a vee class running at the same time...easy to tell whos winning in each class)
3rd race Vee Unlimited and Cat Unlimited ( a cat class and vee class running easy to tell whos winning)

We can never get rid of our open cockpit boats....they make up more then half of all race boats.....

SS should remain a class
SVL has 7 to 10 boats out there racing....
SC between 750's and 850's there are 8 to 10 boats...
Cat Unlimited ( beween turbine and piston there are 7+ boats)
Vee Unlimited ( there will be around 4 to 6 boats next year)

The reason I say no hull changes...look at what Reggie has done to SV...ever boat he built he made changes to it to make it faster and made the rest obsolete....now look at Factory race in 2000...you could race a new boat or a 4 year old boat and it was the same hull...each running the same speed...

You need to really look at this power to weight ratio thing...we took 7 vee hulls and ran the numbers....they don't match up even close...the older boats speed can not match the speed of todays boats....

Last edited by MANITIE; 10-10-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:30 PM
Racer
Racer

Originally Posted by MANITIE
P-Class runs on Sat 3 races....

1st race Class 5 and 6
2nd race Class 3 and 4
3rd race Class 1 and 2

Sundays race

1st race SS and SVL (Cat and vee class runnning easy to tell whos winning)
2nd race SV and SC ( A cat class and a vee class running at the same time...easy to tell whos winning in each class)
3rd race Vee Unlimited and Cat Unlimited ( a cat class and vee class running easy to tell whos winning)

Nice concept!

Another thing that would be nice would be a true entry level class. Maybe
Make it a trophy only class with a much cheaper yearly sign up fee, like $250
for any 2 races and 400 for the year. Really try and reach out to the guy with the
25 Baja, 28 Sunsation and so on, maybe even rent GPS units to help keep there
cost down.. try to get them hooked!!
Old 10-10-2008, 04:39 PM
KANTSTAYAWAY

Is a saturday sunday race format do,able at each site ?

In order to keep a true fan base ,YOU have to show up at every site ,every time .

Will youre format cover this ?

This thread is about " in a perfect world " which I assume means " mine or youres " .In that context are my questions and views .

Old 10-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Registered

Offshore racing is progressively boring after the first lap. AND I'm a racer. Do you think a fan would rather see a P5 boat vs. a Cat going 150+...PRO-SERIES PREREQUISITE, 1 Question only: Can you market that class globally?
P5=NO...SuperCat=YES...P5=local class...SuperCat=PRO-SERIES...

More racing w/less classes. Pracitce ,qualifying, heat races, finials. ALL effect race position for the next.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 2 Trick Rick
Nice concept!

Another thing that would be nice would be a true entry level class. Maybe
Make it a trophy only class with a much cheaper yearly sign up fee, like $250
for any 2 races and 400 for the year. Really try and reach out to the guy with the
25 Baja, 28 Sunsation and so on, maybe even rent GPS units to help keep there
cost down.. try to get them hooked!!
Hey Rick...

In 2000 the 24 Baja Outlaw raced in F1....and today could race in Class 6 if they wanted to give it a shot...and a 28 Sunsation use to race in P-5 in APBA in 2002....so today they could run in Class 5....you could do a try out period...1st race is $200 to race...if you return your $200 gose to your equipment fees and you then pay the balance.....
Old 10-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by KANTSTAYAWAY
Is a saturday sunday race format do,able at each site ?

In order to keep a true fan base ,YOU have to show up at every site ,every time .

Will youre format cover this ?

This thread is about " in a perfect world " which I assume means " mine or youres " .In that context are my questions and views .
Kantstayaway....this is the way the ABPA use to run there Org in 1999-2003....so it has been done and can be again...not all your P-Class racers can make ever race...the never did...but most of your Pro Series guys did....
Old 10-10-2008, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes Gino,

Yes nice,
That could also work next season for joint races. I understand most sites want 2 days of racing.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Racer
Racer

Offshore racing is progressively boring after the first lap. AND I'm a racer. Do you think a fan would rather see a P5 boat vs. a Cat going 150+...PRO-SERIES PREREQUISITE, 1 Question only: Can you market that class globally?

More racing w/less classes. Pracitce ,qualifying, heat races, finials. ALL effect race position for the next.
Thats why you would race 2 days, P classes Saturday and the Supercats, Super-V's and Turbine Sunday.

Maybe another way to keep races interesting is shorten the length so the boats dont have time to break away from each other. Than run a 2 race format like OSS (I think it was OSS) did this summer with the SVL.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Registered

Joe...I agree...but to a point...

Of the 90+ race teams today....how many can afford to race in a Pro Series Class....
and lets remember....Is P-5 class marketable....YES...in 2000-2003 F1 was one of the biggest Offshore class and had the most TV time becasue of its marketabily......
Also look ever seas...they have over 23 boats in a HONDA Series running 27 foot open cockpit boats runnning 225 Honda O/B's with its own series....outside of Class 3...its there biggest class of Offshore racing over there....

Last edited by MANITIE; 10-10-2008 at 04:56 PM.

Quick Reply: In a Perfect World how would you set up the race classes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.